2019 [R09] Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg, 28-30 June

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Phil

Re: 2019 [R09] Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg, 28-30 June

I am quite frankly amazed that people seriously wanted to see Max penalized. If Leclerc didnt want to be put in a position where his tarmac was always going to disappear (the outside on corner exit).... he should have simply defended the inside because that’s where the majority of most successful defenses take place - not the outside / longer way around the corner.

It was stupid the first time, even more so the second time. I’ll give credit to Leclerc for having the balls to keep his foot planted on both occasions and battling back the position once, but it was always going to be a futile attempt.

Absolutely right decision. I’m surprised they even bothered with an investigation.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Nathanael F1
Nathanael F1

Please someone explain the rules of F1. I thought if you're alongside someone you have to leave space. VER ran LEC off track
Favorite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Favorite Driver: Nico Hülkenberg

Phil

I recommend driving full throttle at the limit into a corner. Once you commit to a given speed around a corner, your trajectory is more or less a given and will carry you outwards. You cant siimply turn in more and leave space - you’d only achieve that by lifting, which could induce oversteer from the shift in weight.

Thus, why the gap on corner exit usually closes and why finding yourself on the outside into a corner of a car you are overtaking is dangerous/risky.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

dans79

Phil wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 01:47
I recommend driving full throttle at the limit into a corner. Once you commit to a given speed around a corner, your trajectory is more or less a given and will carry you outwards. You cant siimply turn in more and leave space - you’d only achieve that by lifting, which could induce oversteer from the shift in weight.

Thus, why the gap on corner exit usually closes and why finding yourself on the outside into a corner of a car you are overtaking is dangerous/risky.
yep, and that is why unless the inside driver does something blatantly aggressive, almost nothing ever comes of it.
197 104 103 7

roon
roon

Regarding leaving a car's width: why was VET in Canada different than VER in Austria? For one: VET was on defence and slower than the other car--VER was on offence and faster. Does that matter? Does anyone know how the rules specifically apply in both circumstances?

dans79

roon wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 02:17
Regarding leaving a car's width: why was VET in Canada different than VER in Austria? For one: VET was on defence and slower than the other car--VER was on offence and faster. Does that matter? Does anyone know how the rules specifically apply in both circumstances?
Vettel also left the track and when he rejoined wasn't under full control of his car!
197 104 103 7

TAG

roon wrote:
Still on about Canada? :P

Yes, the stewards do and that's what they're there to do and make a decision with all of the evidence at their disposal. Been doing a pretty good job of it lately.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

szlaszlo84
szlaszlo84

On another note, do you friends think that Vettel could have caught Bottas if not for the troubled pit stop? Feels like Ferrari keeps shooting themselves in the foot wherever they can.

Bill
Bill

"Congratulations to Pirelli. They deserve a high five. They've done an amazing job giving us a tyre that nobody was able to complain [about] today." Toto Wolf

roon
roon

dans79 wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 02:41
roon wrote:
Vettel also left the track and when he rejoined wasn't under full control of his car!
I thought the penalty was for not leaving space which led to Hamilton going off track. Which may be to say: the inside driver in an alongside-situation must allow a car to remain within the track boundaries until no longer beside.

Variables seem to include:
-whether inside car is on offense or defense
-speed delta between cars
-presence of walls vs presence of runoff
-whether a car had recently re-entered the track from a low grip surface

I dont know what the mix of rules is, nor whether they apply in both circumstances. Technical regulations are regularly quoted on this forum but I rarely see the sporting regulations referenced.

djos

Bill wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 06:18
"Congratulations to Pirelli. They deserve a high five. They've done an amazing job giving us a tyre that nobody was able to complain [about] today." Toto Wolf
Lol, clearly he hasn't spoken to Haas! #-o
"In downforce we trust"

timbo
timbo

Phil wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 01:37
It was stupid the first time, even more so the second time. I’ll give credit to Leclerc for having the balls to keep his foot planted on both occasions and battling back the position once, but it was always going to be a futile attempt.
You see, you mention his previous lap, so it's not always futile.

PS, it seems that Ferrari had much better traction when NOT hitting the apex, so outside trajectory could have been benefitial: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=27912&start=1410#p844914

SAEED
SAEED

VER having a bad start was probably a blessing in disguise. Ferrari didn't register him as a threat as a result. They responded to BOT pitstop, compromising them against VER. Otherwise they could have gone longer on softs.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

roon wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 06:24
I thought the penalty was for not leaving space which led to Hamilton going off track. Which may be to say: the inside driver in an alongside-situation must allow a car to remain within the track boundaries until no longer beside.
Vettel's penalty was for not rejoining safely which, in that case, requires space to be left. There is no requirement to "leave space" on the exit of a corner when you're overtaking someone and you're on the racing line. If someone tries to hang it out around the outside, they're going to run out of road fairly quickly.

As pointed out by one of the pundits, the large expanse of tarmac on the outside of corners encourages drivers to hang it out around the outside and hope to get the other guy a penalty. If there had been gravel or a wall on the outside of that corner, Leclerc wouldn't have tried to go around the outside, he'd have tried the cut back.

Basically, if you drive in to a diminshing gap when both cars are legally racing (i.e. one hasn't just gone off the track and is rejoining), then you're the one who will lose out whether that be, a) a dive up the inside when the other is turning in, b) or going around the outside and running out of road.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

timbo wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 08:11
Phil wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 01:37
You see, you mention his previous lap, so it's not always futile.

PS, it seems that Ferrari had much better traction when NOT hitting the apex, so outside trajectory could have been benefitial: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=27912&start=1410#p844914
Max mentioned in interview that there is a "crest" on the inside which leads to understeer which also presumably doesn't help traction either. A number of drivers were taking a wide line through that corner all weekend to avoid this issue.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.