2019 [R09] Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg, 28-30 June

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
santos
santos

Re: 2019 [R09] Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg, 28-30 June

5 second penalty for Vettel, for forcing another driver off the track.

Jester Maroc
Jester Maroc

Does anyone have another angle on this?
Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

siskue2005

Jester Maroc wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 11:35
https://i.redd.it/ddtubzm4dn731.jpg
Does anyone have another angle on this?
cant see the picture

carisi2k

correct call was made. It was a clean pass and move on people. This nonsense about giving people room is crap in this situation. Leclerc needed to give that corner up and then attempt a re pass using a draft. All these drivers putting there cars on the outside of other cars is starting to get real old. If you put your car on the outside then you should expect to be bumped off.

carisi2k

I think another thing that might need to be done is to put heaters under the circuits just to make life difficult for mercedes for the rest of the year.

Steven
Owner

carisi2k wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 12:46
I think another thing that might need to be done is to put heaters under the circuits just to make life difficult for mercedes for the rest of the year.
And activate at random intervals. Just like the sprinklers.

turbof1

Steven wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 13:02
carisi2k wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 12:46
And activate at random intervals. Just like the sprinklers.

So our dear founder's account has been highjacked by Bernie Ecclestone :lol:
#AeroFrodo

cooken
cooken

carisi2k wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 12:44
correct call was made. It was a clean pass and move on people. This nonsense about giving people room is crap in this situation. Leclerc needed to give that corner up and then attempt a re pass using a draft. All these drivers putting there cars on the outside of other cars is starting to get real old. If you put your car on the outside then you should expect to be bumped off.
How is this paradigm conducive to more and not less racing?
We should be encouraging and celebrating moves around the outside, not condemning them if the desire is more racing.
Seems that a lot of the arguments used in this thread are at odds with the stated motivation.

Jolle
Jolle

cooken wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 13:54
carisi2k wrote:
We should be encouraging and celebrating moves around the outside, not condemning them if the desire is more racing.
Seems that a lot of the arguments used in this thread are at odds with the stated motivation.
It was't a move on the outside, it was a move on the inside. Normally, when you pass someone on the apex, you let your car follow all the corner to the white line at the exit, having the car alongside choose to fall behind you or go off track. there are many examples of this and a few drivers he always have the "oh no, he pushed me off track..." vettel is one of these people (and so was Rosberg). This was proper hard racing. Not the kamikaze stuff like Canada, defending when you bounce back on the track after you just lost the race missing a corner.

Andres125sx

Phil wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 01:47
I recommend driving full throttle at the limit into a corner. Once you commit to a given speed around a corner, your trajectory is more or less a given and will carry you outwards. You cant siimply turn in more and leave space
That´s the definition of going too long Phil, normally they only need to avoid going off track, but in this case with two parallel cars he had to avoid invading Lecrec´s line too as when two cars are parallel both are forced to leave some space, and he failed in that because he hit the brakes too late and after that, as you´ve explained, it was done, but that does not evaporate his responsibility, it was Max who decided to hit the brakes at that point. It was too late, and forced Lecrerc out of track
Phil wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 01:47
Thus, why the gap on corner exit usually closes and why finding yourself on the outside into a corner of a car you are overtaking is dangerous/risky.
Agree, but that´s exactly the reason for the rule about leaving space, to avoid drivers pushing others out of track using that excuse

Anycase I agree this is done frequently in F1, and stewards usually are quite loose applying this rule. I can see the reason they didn´t penalize Max, but can´t agree

TAG

All those complaining about the tires might as well come right out and ask for Fan Boost only for Ferrari.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

WaikeCU

Theoretically, If you replace the track limit (4 wheels beyond the white line) by a barrier or a wall, then you know that wouldn't work. Max wouldn't have straightened his wheel exiting the turn knowing Leclerc is there. Hell, without a wall, a respectful race driver wouldn't do that.

He did it to gain an advantage.

Would the same call have been made by the stewards if Max runs over Charles' front wing endplate causing front wing damage? Sounds more like, you can make contact, just know where you hit.

All I now have learned with yesterday's call is that Leclerc was allowed not to leave any space at the start of the French GP when Max hugged it around the outside. :wink:

Hopefully we get a driver's briefing video at the next GP on the F1 YT channel! Expect lots of discussions between the drivers.

Stewards will probably be doing overtime next race :lol:

cooken
cooken

Jolle wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 14:05
cooken wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 13:54
carisi2k wrote:
It was't a move on the outside, it was a move on the inside. Normally, when you pass someone on the apex, you let your car follow all the corner to the white line at the exit, having the car alongside choose to fall behind you or go off track. there are many examples of this and a few drivers he always have the "oh no, he pushed me off track..." vettel is one of these people (and so was Rosberg). This was proper hard racing. Not the kamikaze stuff like Canada, defending when you bounce back on the track after you just lost the race missing a corner.
You didn't actually address any of my queries. Here I'll revise to remove your first counter.

We should be encouraging and celebrating defenses around the outside, not condemning them if the desire is more racing.

Mach

Nice to see a new winner. Although I preferred Ferrari....the reality was Max won it in style...old school style!!
Congratulation Max!

roon
roon

Explanations of the VER LEC ruling in this thread still consist of:
-similar events from history
-feeling/intuition
-deference to stewards

Still no one is able to cite the sporting regulations. Its a pdf freely available. Might have to take a crack at it.