2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Datco
Datco

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

gandharva wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 18:01
The higher the altitude, the less the engine has an impact. Mexico could be another race where they might be able to win.
Jury is still out on how much the heat wave had to do with the win vs upgrades they have. Merc were handicapped with their cooling package. If Merc is still better on mechanical grip then Mexico win will still be Mercs. But credit for Austria, RBR Honda was the best package for conditions. Fastest package, won the race and fastest lap on merit, no safety car, no free pitsop.

Bill
Bill

Before the weekend everyone expected Ferrari to be competitive because redbull ring track is power circuit but now that Honda has won we are led to believe that power is not that important ya sound too convenient . Rbr Honda was also very competitive in Baku so long as the tires were switched on .victories are possible everywhere just depends on rubber after spec 4 they won't be any lingering doubts

HPD

People do not want to believe but there is a lot of time hidden inside the tires.
Saves you or condemns you.

Sieper

Truely and clearly. The whole trick is making everything around the tires behave in such a way that you can get them to work like that. Once they are there they are good. Max was so long on those White and they kept delivering.

On his yellows he flat spotted early on. That cost him that stint (at least, the last bit of extra performance).

Snorked
Snorked

Sounds like Mode 11 will impact Silverstone race performance?

Full power mode was activated when the gap to Charles was under four secs, how many laps was what 5-8?

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/article?a ... rtiva-moto
it is normal to run while reducing the load on the power unit. There is also a certain standard in the accumulation of load that can be used in one race.

However, I wanted to squeeze more power than usual even this time, which is the local race of Red Bull, by "pre-borrowing" the minutes after the next race.

Datco
Datco

Snorked wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 20:40
Sounds like Mode 11 will impact Silverstone race performance?

Full power mode was activated when the gap to Charles was under four secs, how many laps was what 5-8?

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/article?a ... rtiva-moto
it is normal to run while reducing the load on the power unit. There is also a certain standard in the accumulation of load that can be used in one race.

However, I wanted to squeeze more power than usual even this time, which is the local race of Red Bull, by "pre-borrowing" the minutes after the next race.
Is it the next race or the 7 race life of the PU. Even it's less than a 7 race life its fair to say Silverstone may not necessarily be affected if their is opportunity to gain positions. For sure it will affect performance at some point, but I would expect them to take a new PU or a few reasonably before the current PU life is up. Just thinking Silverstone effect lost in translation.

GhostF1
GhostF1

gandharva wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 18:01
The higher the altitude, the less the engine has an impact. Mexico could be another race where they might be able to win.
Really? Maybe in the traditional sense, such as outright power, but I'd say how an engine copes with altitude and high temperatures has a high impact on the race outcome. It ruined Mercedes' race, having a PU that cannot deal with either too well.
Honda tolerated high altitude Mexico quite well the last two years, McLaren in 2017 and STR in 2018 both commenting the power unit loss was less than expected and they were relatively competitive. I'd say they will only be better this year based on Austria's performance.

Also interesting to note Marko saying the mapping for the Spec 3 was wrong in France but in Austria they got it right. How they cope with Silverstone will be a good test of Spec 3's performance/energy management boost. But fair to say the Honda copes with altitude and high temps up there with the best, if not the best.

Artur Craft

selvam_e2002 wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 17:30
Okay. Lets wait and see your comment/feedback on HONDA at the end of this year F1 season. I don't believe it is Honda power, it is Newly.... They are getting good chunk of speed from chassis not from Honda! AS I said lets wait and watch...
I also believe the aero/chassis(Newey) are the main responsibles for this win. Honda was good on this race but it still lacks to Ferrari/Merc as qualifying showed.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Just wonder how they implement unit 4. It wil cost a penalty, will they take it in Spa?

ME4ME

I think the stars aligned for this win to happen, but boy am I glad for it. As is usually the case, a performance shift is often the result of a combination of factors.

- Obviously Max Verstappen performed exeptionally well.
- Honda allowed prolonged use of their highest racing power mode to the extent that they took some life out of the unit ahead of plan. Great confidence, and also it goes to show what Mercedes and Ferrari have been able to do at times and how it can transform a stint. Basically delivering several tenths a lap by the flick of a switch.
- FW upgrade seems to deliver, although we are yet to see the exent of its progress. Silverstone should be interesting. At least Verstappen was positive about car behavior already in qualifying. PU re-mapping appartenly helped too.
- Mercedes underperformed miserably. They mentioned overheating issues and I think that's really what Toto ment when he mentioned them being disadvantaged by altitute. Nothing to do with downforce. Mercedes got plenty. I'm not buying the Mexico comparison at all, I think Mercedes just got their cooling calculations slightly wrong or were over aggressive or it's their long term car design strategy to be on the edge of overheating even for F1 standards.
- Ferrari messed up. First with Vettels car in qualifying, then at this pit stop. Despite consistently lacking two tenths in practice to Leclerc, I think Vettel drove a great race. His start was sublime. They wasted another opportunity. Also arguably they should have gone for a medium-hard strategy just like Verstappen and Mercedes. Leclercs pace would've been stronger at the end.

Still I think the larger part of reason for success was due to driver+team+engine partner delivering. Well done to all and special congratulations to Honda =D>

Juzh

40 minutes of verstappen's onboards with telemetry:

part 1/4 verstappen austria race onboard first stint - overtakes gasly, norris, raikkonen
https://streamable.com/kr2je

part 2/4 verstappen austria race onboard second stint - vettel overtake & bottas chase
https://streamable.com/8imqy

part 3/4 verstappen austria race onboard second stint - bottas overtake & leclerc chase
https://streamable.com/ik5a9

part 4/4 verstappen austria race onboard second stint - leclerc chase & overtake
https://streamable.com/9aovu

loner

Juzh
man i just checked your videos in your signature and sir you are STUNNING =D>
thank you
para bellum.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

Listening to the engine and the engineer is so much better than anything that has ever come out of Crofty's mouth.

etusch

Thank you Juzh for excellent videos

Juzh

loner wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 12:56
Juzh
man i just checked your videos in your signature and sir you are STUNNING =D>
thank you
etusch wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 17:22