2019 Renault F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
garygph

Re: 2019 Renault F1 Team

A big reach maybe and I would love to hear from our aero experts here ( the genuine ones please ;) ) if the heat/humidity/altitude had enough of an effect on air density that, if you were on the edge of your aero working or not, tipped it over the edge and lost a lot of performance. Is the vorticity forming ability affected and so on?

Apologies..wrong thread. Have reposted in the correct one

ME4ME

Jambier wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 14:10
Sad to see how poor the chassis is.

Specialy than now their engine is really good
Exactly. Especially after how much Abiteboul went on about France being the true start of their season after their major upgrade. Renault seem to be in the same state as Haas: confused why their car isn't working consistently.

Singabule

ME4ME wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 23:28
Jambier wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 14:10
Sad to see how poor the chassis is.

Specialy than now their engine is really good
Exactly. Especially after how much Abiteboul went on about France being the true start of their season after their major upgrade. Renault seem to be in the same state as Haas: confused why their car isn't working consistently.
Maybe could related to over flexing and setup issues, as this is fresh major upgrade. Need to be patient little bit.

JordanMugen

ME4ME wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 23:28
Renault seem to be in the same state as Haas: confused why their car isn't working consistently.
Singabule wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 03:02
Maybe could related to over flexing and setup issues, as this is fresh major upgrade. Need to be patient little bit.
Yes, perhaps setup improvements will allow Renault to be more competitive. :)

RS19 simply must halve the gap to RB15 & SF90 by the end of the season IMO. It is OK if McLaren can halve the gap too, they are a valuable partner -- Renault P5 WCC is OK as long as the RS19 is largely a match for the MCL34. A clear disadvantage to MCL34 would be unacceptable IMO.

godlameroso

Problem with Renault is their bargeboard and front wing are a mess. They tried to do too much, shame too because the car has a lot of nice details, just doesn't work cohesively as a package. Then there's the mechanical aspect, which still needs a lot of improvement, the car just can't seem to get the tires to work at all. On the rare occasion they luck into the operating window they have some decent pace. They're simply behind the curve on the understanding on various fronts.
Saishū kōnā

bill shoe

I don't think there is any mystery or problem with Renault's performance, even given their decent budget.

It's crowded at the top in F1. The top three teams spend more and spend it reasonably effectively. McLaren appears set to beat Renault in the upper midfield, leaving Renault to pick up 5th constructors. So yes they could arguably be slightly stronger relative to McLaren, but otherwise there's nobody left for them to finish ahead of. They are really performing at the level that their team and budget allows.

seventhsin

Rumours in Australian and other media linking Ricciardo to Ferrari.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/motorsport/f1- ... 04c9a90045

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Webber2011

seventhsin wrote:
04 Jul 2019, 11:13

Sorry to say it because I wish it were true, but.......

Nine's Wide World of Sport are nothing but a flock of cockatoo's who mimic whatever they hear elsewhere, and as for "AutoAction", they are commonly referred to in motor racing circles as "Autofiction" 😂

djos

Webber2011 wrote:
04 Jul 2019, 11:22
seventhsin wrote:
04 Jul 2019, 11:13

Sorry to say it because I wish it were true, but.......

Nine's Wide World of Sport are nothing but a flock of cockatoo's who mimic whatever they hear elsewhere, and as for "AutoAction", they are commonly referred to in motor racing circles as "Autofiction" 😂
True story. Nein are useless and gave up on real news decades ago.
"In downforce we trust"

ME4ME

bill shoe wrote:
04 Jul 2019, 06:11
I don't think there is any mystery or problem with Renault's performance, even given their decent budget.
Given the quotes below, it's apperent that Renault don't quite understand their car and/or that they have a fundamental problem because it's not responding to setup-changes in the way it should. I think it's fair to say they are a bit mystified at the moment.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ricc ... a/4486558/
"I really hope we're going to find something this week, because it felt like - for example, Le Castellet was a lot windier yet I didn't really feel affected by the wind, where even today the car felt like there was massive turbulence during the race, in terms of the way it was handling, and the high-speed was very light.

"So I feel something still wasn't quite right on the car this weekend, what that is though we still don't know, but I'd like to believe we're going to find something, because right now it doesn't add up.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ricc ... m/4485576/
"We made quite a few changes and then we found out that we had a few set-up issues on the car after third practice," said Ricciardo. "So we made them right for qualifying but that didn't seem to give it that much more.

"We've been struggling this weekend and we never really looked like a Q3 car. I feel like maybe there's something more fundamental with the car that we haven't quite got on top of yet because we've changed a lot and kind of always ended up with the same outcome."

Ricciardo said he had struggled at low speed, locking the front brakes and suffering "a lack of feeling in the front of the corner".

After making a breakthrough in low-speed corners in recent races Ricciardo felt like Renault was "back in that difficult area" he struggled with at the start of the season.

"We changed a few things to try and address it but it didn't really help so that's why I'm a little bit suspicious or curious that we're missing on the car," Ricciardo said.

"Obviously the guys checked the set-up and everything but it didn't really feel like it was adapting much to changes. I would say the characteristics have been slightly different so far this weekend so it's a tough one to know right now."
bill shoe wrote:
04 Jul 2019, 06:11
... McLaren appears set to beat Renault in the upper midfield, leaving Renault to pick up 5th constructors. So yes they could arguably be slightly stronger relative to McLaren, but otherwise there's nobody left for them to finish ahead of. They are really performing at the level that their team and budget allows.
I see your point. However, I don't share your view that the current performance is what their team and budget allows for. They shouldn't really be behind Mclaren. Mclaren is still in the process of digging themselves out of a hole. Their new stars Key and Seidl have just joined earlier this year. Renault should have a PU integration advantage, as well as more experienced and arguably better drivers. Hulkenberg notebly defeating Sainz in equal machinery last year, and Ricciardo arguably being still half a step above. Also pace wise, Renault should be closer to the top three and being more consistent doing so. If i recall correctly, Renaults target was for a solid 4th place in the Constructors' last year and a relative pace improvement to the top teams this year. I think they have the budget to make it happen, not to challenge the top three teams but to close up to them. I don't think for a minute that the board members at Renault are happy with current state of affairs. Especially not getting lapped.

It would in my opinion made a whole bit more sense if Renault had a car like the MCL34, performing well and consistenly, and Mclaren being the hit-and-miss team that Renault currently are, since Mclaren is the team in the progress of rebuilding.

SmallSoldier

It will take them a few weeks to understand the new package... I believe this season the tires are playing a more prominent role compared to other seasons and that the teams are struggling with their setup in order to maximize the performance of the tires.

It took Mclaren a few Grand Prix (Spain, Monaco and Montreal) to find the right setup to maximize their package... it will probably be the same with Renault.

In addition, the high temperatures in France and Austria weren’t probably in their forecast and I’m sure that added an additional variable that isn’t factored in the CFD/Wind Tunnel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Webber2011

Daniel now saying they took some of the recent updates back off the car for Silverstone.

Apparently some didn't work as expected, but he didn't go into detail as to what they were.

Seems to have worked for one lap pace at least.
Will be interesting to see how they go in the race.

Neno

You know you have garbage of the chassis when you cant overtake with extra pitstop (fresher tires) with DRS a customer team.

Benii6

Neno wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 16:30
You know you have garbage of the chassis when you cant overtake with extra pitstop (fresher tires) with DRS a customer team.
They both pitted under SC. Renault was clearly the 4th fastest on this track.

PhillipM

I don't think you can say that, he was against a car that had already had to use his tyres to make up a lot of places - don't forget Sainz started 6 cars back. And Norris was closing on Hulkenburg hand over fist at the end - another half lap and he would have overtaken Hulks' Renault too.
They were certainly much closer to each other here, but niether car was 'clearly' faster than the other.