2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Jozsusz

Re: 2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

zibby43 wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 20:48
Juzh wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 20:26
zibby43 wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 22:17
1) Opening up the bodywork negates half a second worth of their aerodynamic performance relative to the other top teams;
But why? It's not like other teams don't do this as well, everyone had their cars opened up moreso than usual, just not to the extent mercedes had to do in this particular race. I don't think bodywork alone was worth 0,5s. It's also funny how the deficit keeps getting bigger as days go by, started with 0.5s, went up to 0,6s , now we talking about 0,7s already??
"The Mercedes is packaged so tightly at the rear that in this heatwave, at this altitude, its bodywork needed to be opened up significantly more than that of either Ferrari or Red Bull. The extra area of radiator outlet peeking above the suspension at the base of the engine cover was visibly greater on the Mercedes than its rivals. This not only interrupts an aerodynamically sensitive area around the diffuser, but that hotter air is less dense, thereby less effective in creating the pressure differentials that in turn create downforce."

"So the Mercedes’ usual downforce advantage was reduced, possibly even cancelled out. And even though the lap time cost of the car’s extra drag over the Ferrari was reduced by the high altitude, that altitude took more of Mercedes’ lap time (relative to Ferrari) than it gave."

In terms of the total time lost, you have time lost from Merc's aero advantage being cancelled out (which was the largest chunk, according to multiple sources), and then additional time lost in the race from Mercedes having to turn down the PU and use more conservative engine modes. Not to mention all the time lost from having to lift and coast. That's why the lap time lost delta is growing, as more information becomes available.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/repo ... ace-report
And still they almost finished 3rd and 4th.
And Valtteri wasn't so far behind Verstappen, knowing these issues...

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

NL_Fer

The A1 ring is like Bahrain and Canada, start/stop track. Slow corners combined with straights. The aero advantage that Mercedes has this year, does not really bring much in speed on such tracks as, we have seen in Bahrain/Canada. Even without cooling problems, Mercedes would have been just comparable to Ferrari/Redbull.

Juzh

NL_Fer wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 18:43
The A1 ring is like Bahrain and Canada, start/stop track. Slow corners combined with straights. The aero advantage that Mercedes has this year, does not really bring much in speed on such tracks as, we have seen in Bahrain/Canada. Even without cooling problems, Mercedes would have been just comparable to Ferrari/Redbull.
Nah I dont think so. I watched hamilton's onboard on the f1tv and amount of lift and coast they were doing was unbelivable. Literally just cruising the entire race, and still they ended only 18s behind at the end of the race. Now supposedly if verstappen had nailed the start and took P1 and drove off into the distance, then the difference would be bigger, but I would say still not that much bigger.

Vettel at the end actually wasn't closing in on them in the corners at all, he did it all on the straights, and at some point when he overtook hamilton he had 40 kmh advantage into T4 - 330 kmh vs 290 kmh.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

TAG

If you don't feel absolutely alive with joy after watching this, you're the Grinch! Great to see Sir Frank Williams absolutely enjoy this Hamilton lap.

माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

erudite450

Bottas didn't lose the race because of the safety car.
Was he unlucky? Absolutely.
Having said that, he only lost the race because he didn't have the pace to pull a gap on Hamilton in the first stint. Mercedes gives the choice of strategy to the lead driver. That means the lead driver pits first if the other driver is within undercut range - around 5 seconds - otherwise the second driver pits first to avoid a safety car scenario like today. For instance, at the Spanish GP Hamilton would have lost the lead if he had made his 2nd stop before Bottas. Bottas pitted first and on the next lap, there was a safety car! If Hamilton didn't have enough gap to Bottas, he would have pitted before Bottas and he would have lost that race.
Whenever Hamilton is in front, he always pits after Bottas because he has the pace to pull the requuired gap. So as much as he (Bottas) was unlucky, his lack of pace cost him the grand prix and I'm sure he knows it.

De Jokke

Yup, Lewis would have come out ahead, even without the safety car.
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

Polarit

Lewis had Bottas' number. There was no way he was winning.

Even on equal strategy it wouldn't of worked for him. Lewis is just on another level at times.

The fastest lap on 30 lap old tyres just finished it off. I wouldn't be surprised if Bottas is completely done after this. He had soft tyres with no laps and couldn't do it.... I mean... that's a broken driver.

cirrusflyer

TAG wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 18:15
If you don't feel absolutely alive with joy after watching this, you're the Grinch! Great to see Sir Frank Williams absolutely enjoy this Hamilton lap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSoQtwbpcGU
That wetted my eyes. 😁
If flying were the language of man, soaring would be its poetry.
It's all about technology!
When you go fast, do not hesitate to go faster!

zibby43

Last 10 laps of Hamilton's race with all team radio (with subtitles).

Pretty fascinating stuff.

Credit to: Phulbarg

Bill_Kar

Any info regarding German GP update?

Just_a_fan

zibby43 wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 22:16

https://streamable.com/ie9is

Does anyone else think he was thinking "they want me to put so Valtteri gets back in front"? Him saying "pit him first" sounded like "I don't trust you" to me. :lol:

And then asking what the lap time was and how much engine he had available to try for the fastest lap, is nice to see driver's thinking and not just following orders.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Justthatek

Just_a_fan wrote:
zibby43 wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 22:16

https://streamable.com/ie9is

Does anyone else think he was thinking "they want me to put so Valtteri gets back in front"? Him saying "pit him first" sounded like "I don't trust you" to me.

And then asking what the lap time was and how much engine he had available to try for the fastest lap, is nice to see driver's thinking and not just following orders.
Sounded like they wanted to make the last few laps exciting.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk