2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Wazari

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

I don't know how the results will translate to future races as others will bring improvements to both car and PU's as will RBR. In Austria all four PU manufacturers had to deal with the same conditions so I would have to say that RBR's win is attributed to Max's driving and improvements to both the car and slightly aggressive PU mapping usage more than the conditions. Some have mentioned to me about Mercedes really having to dial back their PU because of the heat but I'm sure all the teams had to. Looking at some race data, it is appears that both STR and RBR dialed back their PU's on a regular basis due to the heat.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

roon
roon

Public statements by teams can be taken with a grain of salt. If temperatures and overheating aren't simply to blame for the downturn in performance, what else could be inferred?

Wouter

Wazari wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 22:18
In Austria all four PU manufacturers had to deal with the same conditions so I would have to say that RBR's win is attributed to Max's driving and improvements to both the car and slightly aggressive PU mapping usage more than the conditions.
Thanks again for your response, Wazari-san.
What everyone I think would like to know is .....
Has Honda used a slightly more aggressive engine setting once (because it was the home race of RB)
or will they always use a (slightly) more aggressive PU mapping during each race from now on?
The Power of Dreams!

Wazari

Wouter wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 22:44

Has Honda used a slightly more aggressive engine setting once (because it was the home race of RB)
or will they always use a (slightly) more aggressive PU mapping during each race from now on?
I am meaning aggressive as to extracting higher efficiency which in turn may be harder on PU components. What modes to use is a combination of pre-race strategy and "on the fly" changes. So I don't know what the brain trust at both RBR, STR and Honda will have in store for future races. The refined mappings will always be there and further evolve as new components are implemented and updated data is gathered.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

lio007

Wazari wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 07:00
Wouter wrote:

I am meaning aggressive as to extracting higher efficiency which in turn may be harder on PU components. What modes to use is a combination of pre-race strategy and "on the fly" changes. So I don't know what the brain trust at both RBR, STR and Honda will have in store for future races. The refined mappings will always be there and further evolve as new components are implemented and updated data is gathered.
As always, really appreciate your posts!

I'll take the opportunity to ask a question about a specific topic:
There has been a rumour about a bigger chassis update where PU-integration may be optimised by repositioning of PU-components. But what happens with the PU's in the pool, i.e. the Friday-engines? As I understand their spec is frozen, so repositioning of components is not allowed. Or is Honda allowed to change e.g. ancilliary parts of pool-PU's, to fit into the updated chassis?

Wouter

Wazari wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 07:00
Wouter wrote:

Thank you very much for your answer @Wazari-san. Nice to see you posting again.
Good that RBR has finally improved the RB15. Now you can finally see how good the Honda PU is!
Honda is doing very well! =D>
The Power of Dreams!

roon
roon

lio007 wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 08:11
There has been a rumour about a bigger chassis update where PU-integration may be optimised by repositioning of PU-components. But what happens with the PU's in the pool, i.e. the Friday-engines? As I understand their spec is frozen, so repositioning of components is not allowed. Or is Honda allowed to change e.g. ancilliary parts of pool-PU's, to fit into the updated chassis?
They are free to alter the following from race to race (not subject to use-limit regulations):

·Intake ducting prior the compressor inlet incl. air filter
·Radiators and associated ducting
·Heat shielding
·Exhaust pipes downstream of the turbine outlet and/or wastegate outlet(s)

In terms of power unit integration with the chassis, these are relatively voluminous items that can be altered more freely than the remainder of the power unit.

Marti_EF3

Honda targets faster qualifying mode as "next step"

Honda is planning an extra Formula 1 engine upgrade this season and has targeted an improved qualifying mode following its first victory of the V6 turbo-hybrid era.

The new-for-2019 partnership with Red Bull ended Honda’s podium drought at the first attempt in Australia, and Max Verstappen scored the Japanese manufacturer’s first win in 13 years last weekend in Austria.

Verstappen qualified in third and charged from eighth after a bad start to win the race as the Red Bull-Honda package outlasted the cooling-limited Mercedes and proved good enough to best Ferrari in a straight fight.

Honda F1 technical director Toyoharu Tanabe said a better qualifying mode was “of course” the next step but believes progress must be made in race trim as well.

“We try to use our engine as hard as we can,” said Tanabe.“It’s not easy to make it higher immediately.

"But we keep developing, maybe in the next spec or update. But not the next race!”

Honda introduced its Spec 3 engine two races ago, in France, and the revised combustion engine and turbocharger yielded a small power increase as well as improved reliability.

Asked if Honda’s deficit is bigger in qualifying that the race, where it looks to be quite close to the level of Mercedes and Ferrari, Tanabe said: “Yes, we see a bigger gap in qualifying compared to the others. In the race we are still behind but not as much as in qualifying.

“So it means the next step we need to catch up is a qualifying mode or something, but it’s not easy.”

Honda was always expected to use at least four engines this season instead of the penalty-three limit of three.

Its early Spec 3 engine has opened the door for another upgrade this year, which will be a bonus compared to its rivals Ferrari and Mercedes as they will attempt to stick to a conventional plan of using three engines.

After Honda introduced its third upgrade of the season in France, the company’s F1 managing director Masashi Yamamoto told Motorsport.com: “We will continue the development, balancing performance and reliability. We want more improvement with some update in the future to support with Red Bull.

“Of course it’s including [looking] towards next year, but when it’s ready – when we think it’s got enough reliability and performance – we want to use it.”
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hond ... t/4490133/

Juzh

Quali mode during Q3 achieved more than 10 kph higher speeds than even what "mode 11" was capable of on some parts of the track, even without slipstream. So it's quite obvious mode 11 was not some god-tier level of performance from the engine alone which allowed verstappen to win the race.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Another bonus engine, that means 5. To penalties to take. Where to take them?

Take it in Hungary and have maximum power in Belgium, Italy and Singapore. But maybe it it to early and overtaking is not easy on he Hungaroring.

Sacrifice Spa, fight back in the race and have fresh power in Monza, Singapore. Not a bad option, Mercedes will be strong in Belgium i presume.

Take a 5th in Russia to attack in Japan & Mexico? They can’t take penalties for the Japanese crowd can they?

nzjrs

Juzh wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 12:47
Quali mode during Q3 achieved more than 10 kph higher speeds than even what "mode 11" was capable of on some parts of the track, even without slipstream. So it's quite obvious mode 11 was not some god-tier level of performance from the engine alone which allowed verstappen to win the race.
Furthermore, there will always be modes / maps available for qualifying that will never be used in the race - from a energy balance standpoint you want to finish your qualification lap with the ES empty, which is not an optimal strategy in the race.

Hkbruin2
Hkbruin2

Juzh wrote:
I heard a “mode 14” at one point during Max’s onboard race footage, so it might be some other parameter like ERS recovery deployment/harvesting.

etusch

nzjrs wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 16:44
Juzh wrote:
Furthermore, there will always be modes / maps available for qualifying that will never be used in the race - from a energy balance standpoint you want to finish your qualification lap with the ES empty, which is not an optimal strategy in the race.
Completely empty battery is not good in any point for life of battery I think

Juzh

etusch wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 18:41
nzjrs wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 16:44
Juzh wrote:
Completely empty battery is not good in any point for life of battery I think
Battery is never empty though. Rules only say difference between max and minimum charge can't be more than 4 MJ per lap, they don't actually say what those values have to be.

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

Spec 2 update was minimal performance improvement out the box but it did improve the power unit reliability/robustness so it could take those higher modes for longer. It was certainly interesting to see how long long they let it run at this high mode.

But remember the hard tyres just worked incredibly that weekend. Superior grip than Ferrari or Mercedes so they got through the corners much faster to close that gap and then overtake.