2019 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 12-14

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Artur Craft

Re: 2019 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 12-14

Hammerfist wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 12:14
Negative on Ferrari being on pole. I reckon they will be more than half a second behind in qualifying. If it is closer than that I will be impressed. They just don't generate as much downforce as the Merc and that is VERy important at Silverstone. I thought everybody knew this by now? Anyways,they are going to get killed, barring some trouble with Merc. I think the Redbull might be in front of them here too, well Max only that is.
Funny, I thought everybody knew by now that Ferrari have even a bit more downforce than Mercede but instead....

Go check Austria's s3, which only have 3 high speed corners and 2 small straights. Ferrari was slightly ahead of Mercedes and Red Bull there. Hell, even on Melbourne, it was clear from Juzh's videos that Ferrari were on par on the fast corners

But I do agree that Ferrari will be ~0.5s slower on UK. There are only 3 fast, non flatout, corners on silverstone. The rest is all comprised of slowish corners and that's where Mercedes will stretch their legs.

Mercedes will dominate, probably not as much as in Paul Ricard, but even Bottas might be safe for P2

FrukostScones

a little rain dance...
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

mkay

Artur Craft wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 15:45
Hammerfist wrote:
Negative on Ferrari being on pole. I reckon they will be more than half a second behind in qualifying. If it is closer than that I will be impressed. They just don't generate as much downforce as the Merc and that is VERy important at Silverstone. I thought everybody knew this by now? Anyways,they are going to get killed, barring some trouble with Merc. I think the Redbull might be in front of them here too, well Max only that is.
Funny, I thought everybody knew by now that Ferrari have even a bit more downforce than Mercede but instead....

Go check Austria's s3, which only have 3 high speed corners and 2 small straights. Ferrari was slightly ahead of Mercedes and Red Bull there. Hell, even on Melbourne, it was clear from Juzh's videos that Ferrari were on par on the fast corners

But I do agree that Ferrari will be ~0.5s slower on UK. There are only 3 fast, non flatout, corners on silverstone. The rest is all comprised of slowish corners and that's where Mercedes will stretch their legs.

Mercedes will dominate, probably not as much as in Paul Ricard, but even Bottas might be safe for P2
Mercedes ran compromised aero in Austria, so it can't be used as a comparison.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

drunkf1fan

Artur Craft wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 15:45
Hammerfist wrote:

Not just did they have compromised aero due to overheating as someone said, but it's no different to Red Bull for years having higher downforce but having to take more downforce off than other cars at the power tracks because of lacking engine power.

At a track with all straights and 90degree corners then Merc are going to drop downforce to try to lose less on straights. At tracks where it's less straights and more corners Merc is absolutely --- destroying Ferrari in the twisty sections of tracks and these are tracks where Ferrari has exactly zero need to take off downforce to gain speed on the straights, they instead put on all the downforce they can because they'll still have an advantage on the straights and want to minimise losses in corners.

Merc have a notable amount more in highest downforce than Ferrari. One track doesn't disprove this, merc dropping more downforce than Ferrari will is pretty much inevitable for, Austria, Monza, Spa, etc.

Big Tea

FrukostScones wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 15:53
a little rain dance...
Not needed, its Silverstone :mrgreen:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

zibby43

drunkf1fan wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 22:13
Not just did they have compromised aero due to overheating as someone said, but it's no different to Red Bull for years having higher downforce but having to take more downforce off than other cars at the power tracks because of lacking engine power.

At a track with all straights and 90degree corners then Merc are going to drop downforce to try to lose less on straights. At tracks where it's less straights and more corners Merc is absolutely --- destroying Ferrari in the twisty sections of tracks and these are tracks where Ferrari has exactly zero need to take off downforce to gain speed on the straights, they instead put on all the downforce they can because they'll still have an advantage on the straights and want to minimise losses in corners.

Merc have a notable amount more in highest downforce than Ferrari. One track doesn't disprove this, merc dropping more downforce than Ferrari will is pretty much inevitable for, Austria, Monza, Spa, etc.
To build upon what you set out, Merc is running a lower-downforce RW specification at Silverstone, compared to Ferrari.

LM10

I don't remember a race in which Ferrari has had a lower-downforce RW than Mercedes. It's not really a surprise.

zibby43

LM10 wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 23:35
I don't remember a race in which Ferrari has had a lower-downforce RW than Mercedes. It's not really a surprise.
Not at all. The emphasis was on the fact that it's Merc's lowest DF specification RW, aside from the one that was trialed but not raced in Baku.

Restomaniac

zibby43 wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 23:07
drunkf1fan wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 22:13

To build upon what you set out, Merc is running a lower-downforce RW specification at Silverstone, compared to Ferrari.

https://imgr4.auto-motor-und-sport.de/M ... 610439.jpg

https://imgr2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/F ... 610444.jpg
I don’t think it shows much confidence if Mercedes are including a mini toolkit in their setup :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just_a_fan

That toolkit probably costs as much as a small car! :lol: :lol: :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Restomaniac

Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 01:15
That toolkit probably costs as much as a small car! :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol:

Vasconia

FrukostScones wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 15:53
a little rain dance...
It´s about time to see a proper wet race, tough sadly this weekend won´t be the case. I reckon Hamilton would smash the competence but the rest would be quite interesting.

falonso81

Maybe we will get a chance for a proper wet race at Spa. It will be the ideal place to have a wet race to be honest.

Sierra117

What the heck is going on lol.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir