IndyCar Series

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
djos

Re: IndyCar Series

strad wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 18:27
Was a good race on a great track.
Road America is a fantastic circuit, I'd love to see F1 cars trace on it too.
"In downforce we trust"

Andres125sx

Maritimer wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 04:53
Jolle wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 17:47
roon wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 17:11

Assuming skull impact. Not commenting on motorcycling, rather helmet use in an enclosed vehicle. Acknowledging helmet mass and shape =/= advocating not wearing a helmet.
I guess, if you want to prevent neck injuries, you somehow have to limit the motion of the head when you crash. In "the good old days" without any head protection at the sides (the headrest) or to the front (HANS) I can imagine the force to have a neck injury is a lower then without a helmet. But... now we have all the restraints around the head, wearing a helmet allows for much higher forces because the helmet/head is immobilised.

On motorbike accidents most neck injuries happen when you hit your head on something and your body is the dead-weight, not your head. Without a helmet, almost any major accident is quite soon fatal because your skull isn't very well build do deal with curbs, poles and falling on from a bit of distance.

You see this with many safety devices. There is almost an order of injury and solution. Before helmets were common sense, most bikers would die from head injuries, but when they started to wear helmets suddenly broken necks and backs were becoming the main injury. And now with good back protectors and neck protection systems (as used in Dakar for instance), we see most of the major trauma is internal bleedings and broken legs/arms.
Immobilizing various body parts just shifts the forces to other areas. Growing up playing football we were discouraged from taping ankles and wrists because in a bad hit you're then likely to blow a knee or elbow because the leading joint has no flexibility. When you have everything external tied down, the only place for energy to go is internal organs.

That´s true, but an injury in a wrist or ankle is trivial compared to a neck injury

Maritimer

Oh I'm not comparing them, obviously neck injuries are more severe. Some people wear head restraints in football, cowboy collars, which lead to more severe concussions at the cost of protecting the neck. Just illustrating that no matter how hard we try injuries always find a way to get you. As we crack down on more common occurances, new ones always crop up.

n_we1ss

https://twitter.com/IndyCar/status/1152296002151493633

A bit late to say this but last weekend's race was decent but F1 managed to put a better show.

n_we1ss

Race start delayed due to rain. NBCSN is showing IMSA now.

n_we1ss

Start delayed by almost 5 hours but really worth the wait. Dixon showed why he is 5-time champion.

Sato's & Power's lucks are almost non-existent.

n_we1ss

https://twitter.com/IndyCar/status/1155202582920552448

Let's see if Power has the luck to win today.

n_we1ss

Re: What car do u drive and what have u driven so far?

I rewatched the race (missed the final ⅓ of the race) & surprised Chip let his drivers race against each other (Dixon's tyres were gone & Rosenqvist was inches away from hitting Dixon). Great race, although not on the same scale with German GP.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Jolle

Sound a bit like the 2009 KERS F1 unit, but even less power. The idea driving full electric trough the pit lane will need some extra clutches...

roon

Jolle wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 18:09
Sound a bit like the 2009 KERS F1 unit, but even less power. The idea driving full electric trough the pit lane will need some extra clutches...
Not if they direct drive the input shaft (the driven shaft of the gearbox i.e. the one without any dogs, coaxial to the crankshaft). Open clutch, gear engaged, MGUK powers the input shaft and thus the rear wheels. To use as a starter motor, engage neutral, engage clutch, and drive the input shaft with the K.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

subcritical71

Slightly off topic, but I wonder if Chevrolet would have the appetite to do a F1 PU for Mclaren. They are definitely in need of a ‘works’ engine supply.

Jolle

subcritical71 wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 16:06
Slightly off topic, but I wonder if Chevrolet would have the appetite to do a F1 PU for Mclaren. They are definitely in need of a ‘works’ engine supply.
GM just finished their retreat from Europe, so I guess not.