2019 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 12-14

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
atanatizante

Re: 2019 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 12-14

Here at Silverstone, it seems that Merc are some 7-8 tenths ahead of RB and some 8-9 tenths from Ferrari but what`s frightening me is that in Hockenheim they could be at least 3-4 tenths faster or maybe more, bearing in mind their announced big upgrade there'll bring there ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Wynters
Wynters

izzy wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 17:17
Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 17:02
izzy wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 16:57
Max does a subtle late block in the braking area, closes off what was a clear line, causes a collision, and the stewards are oblivious, again
I think Max had shown his intention to keep the inside line. There was an acre of space to the right that Seb should have used - like Leclerc did earlier in the race :wink: . No penalty for me on this one. Gaining advantage off track? That's where the issue is for me.
If you walk through this video frame by frame, you can see that as he's going under the gantry Max is moving to the middle, covering the right, and there's space on his left, then as he passes the brake marker board he's moved left and closed it off. Then Seb moves right a bit to hit him square not wheel to wheel, just like Ric did, and that disguises it a bit
Max comes out of the left hander and lets himself drift to the middle, then he begins to move left to cover Vettel (which is fine). Both cars start to brake, the door closes, Max moves very slightly right (less than a tyre's width) which is a bit naughty but did not contribute to Vettel inserting the nose of his Ferrai into Verstappen's gearbox.

Justified penalty.

holeindalip
holeindalip

TwanV wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 17:22
max_speed wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 17:14
i am an official lecrec fan now. what FIA cant do.. other drivers could not do Lecrec did today.
He gave Verstappen taste of his own medicine , he taught him a lesson , he should never forget. Absolutely mega drive from him. Best race of the season. fights all over the track. this is how f1 should be. may be Ferrari instructed Vettel to "avenge" the "austria" :) hahaha. Ferrari should replace "Vettel" with "Alonso".
Why lesson? I don't think any of them both need any teaching, great stuff from the pair. Although all this Ferrari defense cost RB a chance of victory, the pace was there.
Hamilton : nice drive but sooo lucky today.
Do you honestly believe Red Bull had the pace for victory today?

GPR-A

holeindalip wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 17:24
TwanV wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 17:22
max_speed wrote:
i am an official lecrec fan now. what FIA cant do.. other drivers could not do Lecrec did today.
He gave Verstappen taste of his own medicine , he taught him a lesson , he should never forget. Absolutely mega drive from him. Best race of the season. fights all over the track. this is how f1 should be. may be Ferrari instructed Vettel to "avenge" the "austria" :) hahaha. Ferrari should replace "Vettel" with "Alonso".
Why lesson? I don't think any of them both need any teaching, great stuff from the pair. Although all this Ferrari defense cost RB a chance of victory, the pace was there.
Hamilton : nice drive but sooo lucky today.
Do you honestly believe Red Bull had the pace for victory today?
No harm in dreaming. Fastest lap coming on 32 laps old hard tyres tells you that RB had a chance to win!
Last edited by GPR-A on 14 Jul 2019, 17:33, edited 1 time in total.

RZS10

If i'm not mistaken Verstappen never moved right/left but kept going straight towards the apex (i'd love to see an onboard from Max to confirm this) and obviously had to brake earlier being so far off line (something Vettel should have taken into account) - The track has a slight kink there, the gap which Vettel supposedly saw was never there.

Your blatant bias towards certain drivers is clouding your judgement @ those who think Verstappen is in any way to blame for the incident.
Last edited by RZS10 on 14 Jul 2019, 17:30, edited 3 times in total.

yelistener

sosic2121 wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 17:10
yelistener wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 17:05
sosic2121 wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 16:55

What sarcasm?
Ves left the track with all 4 wheels while overtaking Vettel, before the crash
Some corners are "allowed" to off-track-overtaking. Stowe is one, T3 in Bahrain is another. Quite a few overtakes at Bahrain T3 this year happened like that.

Basically at these corners you can even go off track doing a qualifying lap. Remember Luffield last year?
So in Stowe you can go beyond white line with all 4 wheels?
I wasn't aware of that.

Thank you for your input
To my knowledge, Stowe and last year's Luffield you can go off track. In 2018 quali everyone went completely off the white line at Luffield. At Stowe they chose not because hitting the different pavement beyond the kerbs would actually damage the laptime.

For Luffield this year, FIA shortened the asphalt beyond the white line to less than a car width, which practiacally forced the cars to either not go completely off the track, or hit the gravel.

FIA only claims "no off track" by words for certains corners. For corners like Luffield or T18, they just add things like gravel or sausage kerbs to stop you, so technically in 2019 you could still go off track at Luffield still getting valid laptime. You'd just completely f**k up your laptime by doing that.
Last edited by yelistener on 14 Jul 2019, 17:31, edited 4 times in total.

holeindalip
holeindalip

RZS10 wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 17:26
If i'm not mistaken Verstappen never moved right/left but kept going straight towards the apex and obviously had to brake earlier being so far off line (something Vettel should have taken into account) - The track has a slight kink there, the gap which Vettel supposedly saw was never there.
https://i.imgur.com/amyunvh.png

Your blatant bias towards certain drivers is clouding your judgement @ those who think Verstappen is in any way to blame for the incident.
That’s the way I saw it also, seb had plenty of room to the right, should have never of been where he was at...

Justthatek
Justthatek

There was a post on the Austria thread by a member who I can't remember that said Max will always be in Charles head after that duel, but it definitely didnt show it today.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

AMG.Tzan

What a great race!! So much action

Leclerc just unbelievable today...made Verstappen look like nothing special...that pass on the outside after Verstappen outbraked him...how on earth?? and then again on Gasly around the outside from way back...again how on earth?? He should have defended with this kind of drive at Austria...he would have won!

Bottas vs Hamilton at the start was also so great! Can't really understand why Hamilton gave him room on the inside after overtaking him...same as not outbraking him in Azerbaijan! When Hamilton pitted under the Safety Car i was so underwhelmed...really wanted to see Lewis pass Bottas on track!

Anyway...two great races in a row! What about now moaners?? do we need changes because F1 is boring??
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Big Tea

I have to ask, why the pink hat for Lewis?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

GPR-A

Justthatek wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 17:32
There was a post on the Austria thread by a member who I can't remember that said Max will always be in Charles head after that duel, but it definitely didnt show it today.

Verstappen going off after the pit stop shows who is in whose head! Leclerc overtook Max from both outside and inside at different points and then drove him off track. So, that was a good response for what happened in Austria.

damager21
damager21

max_speed wrote:
Thank Max instead for starting hard racing again which was missing in the initial few races. It was fair in Austria between him & Leclerc and it was fair again today as well. So I dont think its about giving taste of own medicine & teaching a lesson

atanatizante

With Lewis setting his fastest lap on the hard tyre on the last lap (resembling his Paul Richard trying) point to at least 2 questions:
1. How much tyre nursing Merc drivers are doing during the race?
2. How much setup towards race in Merc cars case, particularly in Lewis` case? It seems that Ferrari is compromised their race pace in order to be in pole/front line in qualy and defend in the race with their mighty straight line speed advantage ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Pyrone89

GPR -A wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 17:11
Justthatek wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 17:08
So after Lerlec's driver of the day vote, does that mean he is now the best driver in the world right now?

Atleast he is not pushing drivers out to gain position with wheel banging and leaving track to gain advantage. That should certainly make him "best driver in the world" on relative terms.
Lol, that is exactly what he did today. Verstappen hate much?
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

GPR-A

Pyrone89 wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 17:40
GPR -A wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 17:11
Justthatek wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 17:08
So after Lerlec's driver of the day vote, does that mean he is now the best driver in the world right now?

Atleast he is not pushing drivers out to gain position with wheel banging and leaving track to gain advantage. That should certainly make him "best driver in the world" on relative terms.
Lol, that is exactly what he did today. Verstappen hate much?
Definitely not blind love though! But destiny did what Stewards couldn't do. I will take that.
Last edited by GPR-A on 14 Jul 2019, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.