Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
carisi2k

Re: Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

norris was ahead and then lewis just drove past him. He did make it up under brakes but there is no way that the Renault is the number 2 PU and that little drag proved the case especially when we know that the mercs are running high downforce this year.

hollus

The posts from the last three days are full of Honda, Ferrari, tire conservation and in general which car passed which car when.

Just a gentle reminder that this is the thread for the Renault PU, we don't want it to turn into another race thread /shudders/

A lot of energy 24 7 bombardment on this thread has been spent to prob up Renault and portray them as better than Honda

Posts that center around team/driver a/b is faster/slower than c/d in race e/f should go elsewhere. And PU x is better/worse than PU y only belong here in as much as as they center on the hardware related to the performance of the Renault PU

Thanks for the help
Rivals, not enemies.

carisi2k

Mr Moderator, I am not sure what exactly you are getting at but how is one supposd to respond to someone making a claim about the Renault PU that is clearly incorrect? How else can you expose an incorrect fact if you can not put forward evidence to the contrary?

saviour stivala

Looks like Renault have lost power unit number one on car number 3 yesterday which was being used as an FP1 – FP2 engine since its last race in China while FP3/Q and racing power unit number 3 which will be used in today’s FP3/qualifying and race if it got past qualifying that is.

Blackout

Shall we talk about horsepower? In canada AMuS said the Renault was 15hp behind the Ferrari in Qualy.
In Silverstone:
The biggest jump in the winter break in 2019 has Renault made. According to internal measurements, the engine department in Viry-Chatillon was able to find 64 hp, if one compares the current expansion stage with the previous year's model. Thus, the gap to the market leader is just over 10 hp. Honda has also been able to improve significantly, but it still lacks around 30 hp to Ferrari and Mercedes. https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... eschichte/
Which is in line with what Seidl, Prost, Abiteboul Hulkenberg and Q top speed improvements say.

epo
epo

Blackout wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 16:38
Shall we talk about horsepower? In canada AMuS said the Renault was 15hp behind the Ferrari in Qualy.
In Silverstone:
The biggest jump in the winter break in 2019 has Renault made. According to internal measurements, the engine department in Viry-Chatillon was able to find 64 hp, if one compares the current expansion stage with the previous year's model. Thus, the gap to the market leader is just over 10 hp. Honda has also been able to improve significantly, but it still lacks around 30 hp to Ferrari and Mercedes. https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... eschichte/
Which is in line with what Seidl, Prost, Abiteboul Hulkenberg and Q top speed improvements say.
How many times do people have to say top speeds don’t tell ---? Besides that most names on those list usually talk bs.

Blackout

Nope. The only unreliable person there is Abiteboul. And top speed can be telling. viewtopic.php?p=840318#p840318

carisi2k

not this year it doesn't. There are cars running in low drag mode like Ferrari and Mclaren and then there are mid range drag cars like Renault and cars running in high downforce mode like Mercedes and Red Bull. Yes the Renault has improved but if it was the number 2 PU then it should have easily allowed a low drag car to pass a high drag car at Austria.

Thank goodness that it was the Pony engine that broke on Daniel's car on Friday.

Blackout

So basically you're telling me that my RSF1 and MCL speed trap comparisons against 2018* are useless (aswell as AMuS informations) but that your overtake maneuvers during a race (with unknown/not comparable chassis performance engine modes, strategies, attack mode from the drivers, tire conditions, DRS usage, turbulences, slipstream) are more telling...
*I never said the Renault is number 2 regarding power**. All I'm saying is it made huge gains, probably the biggest.
**Other parties (and reliable ones, like Prost, AMuS etc) say something along those line.

Neno

I think we can pretty much say that Renault engine isnt lacking any power compared to Ferrari or Mercedes. And even if they are they are in margin of error even if we compared them directly benchmark to benchmark. Which sadly can't we do

gokarter

you can easily get top speed by running low wing. the current order in terms of engine performance , i believe renault is 4th but all 4 manufactures are very close to each other. even a B team like toro rosso qualified ahead of a works renault so it not really about top speed only that determines the most powerful engine.

Maplesoup

I was at Silverstone today and noticed that all the Renault engines whistled as they went by.

Perhaps something to do with their turbo design perhaps?

You can't hear it on the TV, it was really strange!

Any ideas why they whistle? Sounded like 4 kettles zooming by.

Thunder

So yeahh, some Honda vs. Renault Shenanigans have been removed. This is about the Hardware & Software of the PU, not another Thread for Pages upon Pages of the same Old. ;)
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

PowerandtheGlory

Any news on the next possible Renault PU upgrade, with tracks like Spa and Monza coming it would be good timing.. anybody heard any chatter?
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

factory_p

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 11:12
Any news on the next possible Renault PU upgrade, with tracks like Spa and Monza coming it would be good timing.. anybody heard any chatter?
Last year Spec C was available around SPA/MONZA indeed. I believe there were talks about a new spec for august this year again but haven't read anything in a long time. We will probably know more very soon because new spec or current spec, Spa would be a good time to introduce another engine in their pool.