2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
bauc

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

AMG.Tzan wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 18:06
any video of EJ saying that Mclaren will go with Mercedes in 2020?
ЕЈ said the same when Mclaren were negotiating with Renault, so I would not take his words for granted
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Justthatek
Justthatek

AMG.Tzan wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 18:06
any video of EJ saying that Mclaren will go with Mercedes in 2020?
Last edited by Justthatek on 14 Jul 2019, 18:28, edited 1 time in total.

Nivedanm
Nivedanm

martinbeiker wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 15:04
Eddie Jordan: McLaren to use Mercedes engines
While it sounds more like a wild rumour I don’t think it is totally impossible. Imo, it depends on Mercedes’ road car plans.

We have to think about it from a marketing perspective. There is a marketing purpose for each of these teams being in F1. There was a time when racing was just about driving crazy fast and winning - a passion. But when it becomes a business, it has certain goals. They don’t just run racing cars only for victory and passion anymore. Racing has to make business sense.

Ferrari is here to sustain their racing heritage and ultimately add value to the cars they sell. Ferrari road cars indeed get their brand value through the racing pedigree...so are McLaren road cars of late. Mercedes, Renault and Honda are here to test new hybrid technologies and tell the world their road cars are from champions of an ultimate engineering challenge and they can provide the customers with the best products. Red Bull cars are nothing but expensive sign boards for an energy drink! Williams and McLaren have other businesses that supply some bespoke parts and stuff for other high tech companies. Maybe Racing Point have some vision too.

So, Mercedes’ interest and purpose in F1 remains only as long as they want internal combustion engine in their road cars. If they want to convert all their road cars into electric cars, they would rather compete in FE. I mean, if you mainly sell steak, why would you compete in some vegan cooking contest to promote your brand?

In that case, Mercedes as a works team can pull out of F1 as the best team of the era and focus on FE. But they don’t have to retire the PU when engine rules remain same/similar. They can become a works team with McLaren again! That is more profitable than shelving the PU project along with works team. They have to merely do R&D to develop an already existing bulletproof PU through the seasons. That’s a relatively small investment which would actually make them profits as McLaren moves to top and by selling them to customer teams.

More interestingly, McLaren supplies very important drivetrain components to FE. If Mercedes change their focus completely to FE, it would make sense to partner with McLaren in some way.

By joining hands and putting investments together, McLaren would run a Mercedes powertrain in F1 and Mercedes would use McLaren powertrain in FE. If they see some benefit for both of them it would be a great plan. Anything can happen in business. Ill feelings never come in the way of profits. 🙂

Ps. You don’t have to believe a word in this. It is merely a speculation of potential logic behind such a switch.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

I’ve mentioned before that in 2017 McLaren wanted a works, or works level deal with Mercedes after the disastrous winter test, which wasn’t acceptable to Mercedes. I think that was the real reason they couldn’t come to an agreement. If this news of Mercedes switch is true, then I hope McLaren get some premium customer deal, that comes with full factory support. With the budget cap and the most likely need for Mercedes to reduce head count, maybe some staff can absorbed by McLaren to offer the level of support that would make them as competitive as possible.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

RonDennis
RonDennis

Ground Effect wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 18:36
I’ve mentioned before that in 2017 McLaren wanted a works, or works level deal with Mercedes after the disastrous winter test, which wasn’t acceptable to Mercedes. I think that was the real reason they couldn’t come to an agreement. If this news of Mercedes switch is true, then I hope McLaren get some premium customer deal, that comes with full factory support. With the budget cap and the most likely need for Mercedes to reduce head count, maybe some staff can absorbed by McLaren to offer the level of support that would make them as competitive as possible.
Premium customer deal? Where do you get this stuff from? Customer deals already comes with full support. The only difference is that you have to pay money and don't have anything to say about the design.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

RonDennis wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 18:45
Ground Effect wrote:
Premium customer deal? Where do you get this stuff from? Customer deals already comes with full support. The only difference is that you have to pay money and don't have anything to say about the design.
James Allen, during the winter test of 2017, he said McLaren wanted a works level deal, which simply means they pay for it. Zak Brown also said that ONLY Renault gave them all that they asked for, which clearly means there’s more to it.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... 1/1390232/
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

Really doubt it but lol Eddie being "brave" there, saying such big things.

mwillems

ALO_Power wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 19:42
Really doubt it but lol Eddie being "brave" there, saying such big things.
No idea why we would want to, but then I don't really know how far behind the Renault engine is, if at all.
One thing that might add credence is that Mclaren just might be a threat in the next few years. if there is a way that Merc could affect the engines they supply to Mclaren, to ensure they are a little faster or a little more efficient (Superior part quality? ), then why not.

Otherwise it's as I said before. Bullshit rumour made up to get people to watch the only C4 live race of the year, targeted at the largest supported british team.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

RonDennis
RonDennis

Ground Effect wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 19:17
RonDennis wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:
James Allen, during the winter test of 2017, he said McLaren wanted a works level deal, which simply means they pay for it. Zak Brown also said that ONLY Renault gave them all that they asked for, which clearly means there’s more to it.

It's your interpretation. Mercedes said that they couldn't supply a fourth team, which meant that Renault was their only option. The article you linked even states that Renault is "open to their suggestion", not that they will have any influence on the design based on the contract.

https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/2188 ... es-mclaren

epo
epo

It doesn't really matter, RB has shown it can win with an Renault engine, and this years Renault engine is much better compared to the one they used. McLaren need to up their car, not f around with engine suppliers.

Big Tea

RonDennis wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 20:19
Ground Effect wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 19:17
RonDennis wrote:

It's your interpretation. Mercedes said that they couldn't supply a fourth team, which meant that Renault was their only option. The article you linked even states that Renault is "open to their suggestion", not that they will have any influence on the design based on the contract.

https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/2188 ... es-mclaren
Mclaren had far deeper problems than which engine they were using. They are on the road to recovery now, and any engine change will be a backward step.

Once the package is sorted, they can THEN look around for a better deal. Mclaren has made the step from being top 3 team to being a good mid field team, and are setting their sights on being a top 4 team. This is the way to go for at least 2 years. If they have an easy target for their failings, they will use it instead of getting to the root cause.

I squirmed when I saw Mclaren mis-design a jack that dropped the car then complained abut a few % engine power.

We all ( well most ) want to see Mclaren fighting for wins, but first get regular points, then podiums. It will be hard, but if anyone can do it, Mclaren can. The two drivers they have are a good start, and the management team seem to have their head in the right place.

Come on Mclaren, do it the right way do not look for instant fixes like new engines.

(BTW where is Norbert Huage now?)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

geogate
geogate

Seidl is now in charge. That guy isnt going to be complacent. He aint no Boullier

Lucky
Lucky

Seidl: A special thanks to our team back at the factory who made a big push in the last week to get updates on the cars which were originally planned for the next race.
https://www.mclaren.com/racing/2019/bri ... rand-prix/

AMG.Tzan

I dont think they'll be better off with Mercedes power! Look at Williams and Force India! And then what about Renault? They'll go alone??
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

McG

If true, good for Mercedes and McLaren. Racing Pont and Williams are crap and if Merc decide to leave F1 they can still have success with McLaren.
F1 is dead.