2019 Renault F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Macklaren

Re: 2019 Renault F1 Team

PhillipM wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 17:03
I don't think you can say that, he was against a car that had already had to use his tyres to make up a lot of places - don't forget Sainz started 6 cars back. And Norris was closing on Hulkenburg hand over fist at the end - another half lap and he would have overtaken Hulks' Renault too.
They were certainly much closer to each other here, but niether car was 'clearly' faster than the other.
... And don't forget the DRS advantage for the Renault.

Benii6

PhillipM wrote:
I don't think you can say that, he was against a car that had already had to use his tyres to make up a lot of places - don't forget Sainz started 6 cars back. And Norris was closing on Hulkenburg hand over fist at the end - another half lap and he would have overtaken Hulks' Renault too.
They were certainly much closer to each other here, but niether car was 'clearly' faster than the other.
If I'm not mistaken Ric and Sainz pitted during SC for hards. Sainz came out in 7th, while Ric in 12th. So if anybody, Ric had to use his tyres more. Also, in first stint Norris couldn't get away at all. I'm guessing DRS had something to do with that.

diffuser

One REAL positive is Ricardo's driving. He's really starting to assert himself.

diffuser

ME4ME wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 23:28
Jambier wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 14:10
Sad to see how poor the chassis is.

Specialy than now their engine is really good
Exactly. Especially after how much Abiteboul went on about France being the true start of their season after their major upgrade. Renault seem to be in the same state as Haas: confused why their car isn't working consistently.
You watching the same races as me?

Nobody seems as disorganised a hass. Even Williams are doing a better job of racing. Both of those drivers over there need to be told..who ever is to blame for the next collision is gone!

ME4ME

diffuser wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 20:52
ME4ME wrote:
Jambier wrote:

Exactly. Especially after how much Abiteboul went on about France being the true start of their season after their major upgrade. Renault seem to be in the same state as Haas: confused why their car isn't working consistently.

Nobody seems as disorganised a hass. Even Williams are doing a better job of racing. Both of those drivers over there need to be told..who ever is to blame for the next collision is gone!
Renault took off some upgrades that they introduced in France and ran a mixed configuration today at Silverstone. Haas went a step further and even reverted to the Australian GP spec on Grosjeans car. Now I made my post before this happened / became known, but obviously both teams are struggeling to understand some or their items. Haas, I agree are miles worse off than Renault. Renault actually did a good job this weekend, especially from friday to saturday they made a good step in setup.

Jambier

It is frustrating because some races like Silverstone or Montreal, Renault seems to understand the car.

And other weekend they are nowhere.
It prevents progress

djos

Sainz remarked to sky that Ricciardo was faster than he was so he was really pleased he could hold him off to get 6th place.
"In downforce we trust"

Wynters

PhillipM wrote:
Remember that Hulk got speared by Perez after the restart. I strongly suspect that, given how aero sensitive these cars are, that cost him a chunk of pace.

On the topic of Hulk, at the end of the race he had quite an interesting discussion with his engineer, Mark Slade.

Slade: Great job, Nico. Great job. That was hard. Sorry mate, but you did a fantastic job there.
Hulk: I just don't understand why we couldn't stop early. We just cost ourselves this race. I was genuinely struggling. Not playing any games or bullshit like that. You've just got to believe me. Effing believe.
Slade: Understand Nico, fully understand.
Hulk: It was obivious. MY tyres were a hundred and forty and still 'no, no. It's fine. Let him stay out, it's all good'.

Afterwards he went on to say:-
“Tenth, so not really great," he said. "I don’t know, the race just went way from us. A few things: I think we just pitted too late. I asked to pit, the team didn’t want to pit me. We just hurt ourselves over, making life difficult, then got overtaken with dead tyres and got hit at the rear on the Safety Car restart.

“Then later on, we thought we had an engine issue and we went to a ‘limp home’ mode for a couple of seconds, lost another one position. It was difficult to go racing with so many problems.”
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/art ... UEmdl.html

McG

diffuser wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 20:52
ME4ME wrote:
Jambier wrote:

Grosjean needs the boot. Don't think he'll be in F1 next year.
F1 is dead.

Jambier

Grosjean is probably racing his last races indeed.

And HUL... I don't know where he will be next year.

On French TV, OCO was commentating the race, they were laughing with the TV presenter about " The pretty yellow car" and " You like the losange don't you?"

There a strong possibility to see OCO in the Renault next year.
Especially when after the race Abiteboul is not very happy with HUL, saying he's got a "mental issue"

FW17

Haas is not like a typical team, they should have a third driver who is always threatening the race drivers for their seat.

This INDYCAR approach just does not work in F1, just leaves a frustrated team principal

Wynters

Jambier wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 09:05
Grosjean is probably racing his last races indeed.

And HUL... I don't know where he will be next year.

On French TV, OCO was commentating the race, they were laughing with the TV presenter about " The pretty yellow car" and " You like the losange don't you?"

There a strong possibility to see OCO in the Renault next year.
Especially when after the race Abiteboul is not very happy with HUL, saying he's got a "mental issue"
After Abiteboul renegaded on his agreement with Ocon and left him without a drive this season? I'd be amazed if Ocon put his career in Abiteboul's hands again.

Perhaps Hulk would perform better if they actually let him pit? Still, I suppose Abiteboul has to find other people to blame for Renault's current appalling performance. How a works team regularly loses to a customer is mind boggling. And as for Renault's engine development, being outperformed by Honda is...sub-optimal.

Jambier

Well I think engine is very much OK.

Problem are named Chester and Abiteboul...

Wynters

Jambier wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 19:28
Well I think engine is very much OK.

Problem are named Chester and Abiteboul...
There's a lot of truth there. It's such a shame they had such a fundamental issue at the start of the season :(

Juzh

ricciardo chasing sainz last few laps
https://streamable.com/snzak