2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
roon

Re: 2021 Aero Thread

The exchanges between Bot and Ham, Ver and Lec, today at Silverstone. Do they suggest the aero formula is at a good place in terms of following and overtaking?

bauc

roon wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 02:59
The exchanges between Bot and Ham, Ver and Lec, today at Silverstone. Do they suggest the aero formula is at a good place in terms of following and overtaking?
I think it was more track related TBH
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

AMG.Tzan

I have to say i believe the new rules around the simpler front wings seemed to work here at Silverstone. When Lewis was close to Bottas in the fast corners he was not losing so much...around 0.2 secs loss i think! Specially at the first corner at the start of the race he was able to stay right with Bottas
Also look at Leclerc's moves from the outside...he didn't seem to lose any downforce at all! =D>

Another thing that maybe needs some addressing i'd say is slipstream! When someone is over 0.6-0.7 behind before the DRS he isn't able to get close enough to the guy ahead at the end of the straight! Without DRS things are even worse! :?
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

jjn9128

AMG.Tzan wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 14:39
I have to say i believe the new rules around the simpler front wings seemed to work here at Silverstone. When Lewis was close to Bottas in the fast corners he was not losing so much...around 0.2 secs loss i think! Specially at the first corner at the start of the race he was able to stay right with Bottas
Also look at Leclerc's moves from the outside...he didn't seem to lose any downforce at all! =D>

Another thing that maybe needs some addressing i'd say is slipstream! When someone is over 0.6-0.7 behind before the DRS he isn't able to get close enough to the guy ahead at the end of the straight! Without DRS things are even worse! :?
The more you reduce the wake to improve cornering behind another car, the worse slipstreaming will get.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

JordanMugen

jjn9128 wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 14:35
The more you reduce the wake to improve cornering behind another car, the worse slipstreaming will get.
That doesn't seem right. Formula Ford specifically bans downforce generating bodywork, yet has lots of slipstreaming.

IMO the downforce loss caused by the wake, is somewhat independent compared to the slipstream effect.

Morteza

Giorgio Piola wrote:1. The idea is to have a very low nose. This version is attached to the main plane as it was in the 1990s.

2. The mainplane is slightly arched upwards to improve the airflow underneath the car to help feed the ‘ground effect’ tunnels.

3. The endplates are rounded to help minimise the risk of punctures in the event of contact between cars, which is more likely due to the wide front wing.

4. The low nose without turning vanes shows the simplified aerodynamics.

5. The wheel rims could feature covers to help better manage airflow and make it less disruptive.

6. The brake ducts are simplified and have less of an aerodynamic influence.

7. The front wheels are covered with two deflectors, which help direct the wash from the front wheel underneath the floor rather than being lifted upwards and outwards causing turbulence for the cars behind.

8. This is the start of a big Venturi channel, which begins where the current bargeboards are.

9. The halo has a better integration with the overall car design.

10. The stepped plane area is not totally flat because there is the chance to house Venturi channels in this area.

11. The taller diffuser is much more powerful than the current diffuser, meaning most of the downforce will be created from underneath the car.

12. The rear wing features a simple endplate to reduce the turbulence effect and helps divert airflow high up with a twin vortex.
Also these have been confirmed for 2021
Motorsport.com wrote:*Tire blankets are banned

* A more simplified fuel system

* More simplified radiators

* Frozen specification of gearboxes for five years

* Hydraulic suspension banned

* Standard wheel rims

* Standard wheel hubs/nuts and pit equipment

* Standard brake systems

* Restrictions on the use of certain materials

* A 40% reduction of windtunnel time for teams
Last edited by Morteza on 17 Jul 2019, 10:26, edited 2 times in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

bauc

Well this is a twist.... but its logical move if we want to see close racing....

But wait, in the last 2 races we did..... I'm confused now
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Morteza

Drawings from AMuS

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

FrukostScones

AMUS article

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... nfos%2F%23

typical Brawn
Ross Brawn counters the charge of the designers that the cars would look alike in the future: "We allowed ourselves the fun, and the current cars are all presented in neutral color. I would have guessed right only three cars. Only the absolute nerds know all the differences. "
No one-can distinguish the cars, so it doesn't matter if they all look the same^^

the same Brawn once said to AMUS no one would care if the lap times would rise for some full seconds...
Last edited by FrukostScones on 17 Jul 2019, 11:04, edited 1 time in total.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

jjn9128

So someone traced the images FOM released 4 months ago :lol:
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

jjn9128

#aerogandalf

Thunder

FrukostScones wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 10:47
AMUS article

typical Brawn
Ross Brawn counters the charge of the designers that the cars would look alike in the future: "We allowed ourselves the fun, and the current cars are all presented in neutral color. I would have guessed right only three cars. Only the absolute nerds know all the differences. "
No one-can distinguish the cars, so it doesn't matter if they all look the same^^

the same Brawn once said to AMUS no one would care if the lap times would rise for some full seconds...
There will be differences, it's not like development will be completely banned. But Brawn is right, average Joe couldn't tell a Merc from a Racing Point if they were both black. So i don't get the uproar. There will still be Areas where Teams can develop different Solutions, Livery finishes it off.

Also i agree with the statement that i would trade close racing for 3 sec slower laptime in a Heartbeat.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

aran.vtec

bauc wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 10:21
Well this is a twist.... but its logical move if we want to see close racing....

But wait, in the last 2 races we did..... I'm confused now

Freeze the rules for a few years racing will get better every year.

FrukostScones

Thunder wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 11:15
FrukostScones wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 10:47
AMUS article

typical Brawn

There will be differences, it's not like development will be completely banned. But Brawn is right, average Joe couldn't tell a Merc from a Racing Point if they were both black. So i don't get the uproar. There will still be Areas where Teams can develop different Solutions, Livery finishes it off.

Also i agree with the statement that i would trade close racing for 3 sec slower laptime in a Heartbeat.
I don't care about average joe. I care about my (our) passion.
If they mandate a standart side pod air intake shape (that is what I am reading), that would be pretty damning.
Lookalike cars, no thanks!
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

jjn9128

FrukostScones wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 11:37
I don't care about average joe. I care about my (our) passion.
If they mandate a standart side pod air intake shape (that is what I am reading), that would be pretty damning.
Lookalike cars, no thanks!
Agree, but I think the sidepod front shape is more about side impact. Looking at the renders there's no space for the current spar design.
#aerogandalf