2019 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 12-14

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Titchener
Titchener

Re: 2019 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 12-14

Excuse the poor filming technique but I thought some may appreciate a view of the cars going round Stowe, this is the first lap.

Honestly, the TV slows the cars down so much.

Unc1eM0nty

ispano6 wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 09:34
Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 09:32
ispano6 wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 09:24
You still don't get it. It's not about the 1 stopper or 2 stopper, it's the fact the team decided to "split" strategies when both could have gone med-hard and raced to the end. Splitting strategies unnecessarily forced one of the two to decide to go med-med which automatically guarantees you have to 2 stop to change to a different compound. But we now know Hamilton had the strategy in mind like a few here did. It was a no-brainer and Bottas' side of the garage got duped into the inferior strategy.
Read zibby's post above viewtopic.php?p=847929#p847929 . The team decided both drivers should do two stops as that's what Pirelli were recommending. Hamilton knew he could make one stop work so he decided to try it out and see. If it didn't work then he still had the option to get a third set of tyres to the end. So Hamilton made the strategy call and then made it work. That's what champions do.
It's not about the two stops, it's about what tire was used for the 2nd stint.
Then you'll need to ask Bottas and his race engineers, it was their call

amr
amr

Restomaniac wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 12:59
turbof1 wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 12:41
Restomaniac wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 11:49
He did yes. He said he was amazed he could bring such a damaged car home.
He was clever not to mention it during the race :lol:
Sounds like he’s been smart then :lol:
It will be nice for FIA be consistent and get this things sorted, because on one side they are all about driver safety and add the halo on the cars and on the other side they let this little things slide and there are no rule to force driver coming in if there is a safety risk, or nothing to punish driver when they knowingly drive "unsafe" cars. And this is not only about VER and his seat, HAM also undid his seatbelt on the inlap. I remember him do that before in the past and GRO question it to Charlie in a driver's briefing. I wander how protected a driver is without the seatbelt in an incident like the one between Vettel and Stroll from 2017 that happened on the inlap.

Sierra117

Titchener wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 13:25
Excuse the poor filming technique but I thought some may appreciate a view of the cars going round Stowe, this is the first lap.

Honestly, the TV slows the cars down so much.

https://youtu.be/oUrMWsefn-U
That was excellent, thanks!
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

zac510
zac510

amr wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 14:10
Restomaniac wrote:
turbof1 wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 12:41

He was clever not to mention it during the race :lol:
It will be nice for FIA be consistent and get this things sorted, because on one side they are all about driver safety and add the halo on the cars and on the other side they let this little things slide and there are no rule to force driver coming in if there is a safety risk, or nothing to punish driver when they knowingly drive "unsafe" cars. And this is not only about VER and his seat, HAM also undid his seatbelt on the inlap. I remember him do that before in the past and GRO question it to Charlie in a driver's briefing. I wander how protected a driver is without the seatbelt in an incident like the one between Vettel and Stroll from 2017 that happened on the inlap.
I don't think you can blame the FIA here; how are they to know the seat is dislodged/unsafe if RBR or Max don't make the information public?
It did occur to me that the FIA might want to know a bit more information and whether they endangered the driver's safety by keeping him out on the track and withholding safety information. Perhaps they can slap RBR with a fine for not resolving the issue and putting the driver in danger.

amr
amr

zac510 wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 14:32
amr wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 14:10
Restomaniac wrote:
I don't think you can blame the FIA here; how are they to know the seat is dislodged/unsafe if RBR or Max don't make the information public?
It did occur to me that the FIA might want to know a bit more information and whether they endangered the driver's safety by keeping him out on the track and withholding safety information. Perhaps they can slap RBR with a fine for not resolving the issue and putting the driver in danger.
With clear defined rules in place and penalties for braking them, the team/driver would not withhold information. FIA inspects the car afterwards anyway. I don't find it unreasonable to be disqualified if you drive with a car that is not protecting you. This situations are really rare so if it happens is bad luck and you have to stop. Also it goes against all the drive safe and don't drink and drive campaigns if the race winner drives without seatbelt. Don't get me wrong, I don't want HAM to be punished now, but I would like to have rules and penalities to prevent that in the future.
I know he wanted to wave to the crowd and that they are really buried in the cockpit these days so you can't see much of him from the outside. If there is really no risk , then I would love to open the cockpit more and let us see the driver how he is fighting the car.

nacho
nacho

Verstappen did a slight move to the left then a slight move to the right, that might have contributed to Vettel making the mistake, not saying that it wasn't 100% Vettel's fault.

Mercedes guys where supposed to take it easy in the beginning to save tyres, I hope this will mean they won't take it easy in future.

djones
djones

Has anybody found an on-board of Hamiltons fastest lap?

I think that would be really interesting to see.

EDIT....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAhS8tQ3XA8

TAG

turbof1 wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 11:00
Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 10:48
turbo, I disagree about the safety car luck. I thought that too at the time, but even if there was no safety car, Hamilton's call to go one stop instead of two gave him the win. Bottas was always going to have to pit again and lose 20seconds on track. So even though Bottas would have been ahead after Hamilton's stop, Bottas had to stop again and Hamilton had only to stay within a few seconds of him to take the win after Bottas's second stop.

It was the choice of risking the one stop that won the race. That needed skill to make work - skill in keeping the first set of tyres alive longer, and then the skill to make the hards go longer than was predicted by Pirelli.

Hamilton made his luck and the safety car wasn't part of it.
Well, maybe. You have of course arguments in favour of that, the excellent average pace and lifespan Hamilton was somehow able to extract out of those tyres and the track position.

However, Bottas' strategy was screwed the moment the SC went out. We just can't know if Bottas had more pace to play with, when he would have went in and how quick he'd be closing the gap towards Hamilton after the second stop. Instead, he dropped behind Hamilton while without a SC he would have stayed in front after Hamilton's change of tyres. We can argue that Bottas would then have stopped earlier and probably went for the hard tyres instead (can anyone confirm he still had a set of those left?). He definitely would have been faster, but we don't know by how much because again the SC threw that out of the window, instead having to settle for an attempt for the fastest lap (and I think he royally screwed that one up).

In the end, we don't really know how the race would have played out. There's certainly a case to be made for Hamilton winning the race anyway. However, nobody will disagree it at the very least gave him a healthy margin.

It is basically luck. But you can argue if that luck played a role at all :P
Hamilton didn't have a set of new Mediums, Bottas did. As far as pace, you'd think that if Bottas was on a two stopper with the fastest compounds available to him he'd have pushed the tires not worrying about their life. It was Hamilton's decision to change strategy. Bottas was driving well, certainly well enough to keep Lewis behind, I think the decision to change to a one stopper was made by Lewis the minute he got confirmation that Bottas had put on a second set of Mediums. Lewis at that point knew he could make the one stop work, and did. SC or not, that race was over then and there.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

yelistener

Juzh wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 16:42
Verstappen's onboard was absolutely thrilling to watch, a real shame for that crash.
Hey man can you do lewis' fastest lap onboard with telemetry?

Titchener
Titchener

What caught my attention was the comment Hamilton made after the race regarding how much he'd studied the strategy for the race. It can be seen in the F1 Paddock Pass: Post Race on YouTube.

I struggle to see how some people find such negatives on here. I'm British and obviously being there to see Lewis win was special BUT I am at heart an F1 fan and that was nothing but a great spectacle in my opinion. It had all the ingredients of a classic; team mate wheel to wheel, a long running wheel to wheel battle between two other drivers, crashes, a safety car, strategy intrigue.

Sierra, you're welcome. I wanted a couple of memorable clips as I refused to be distracted from savouring the event live by worrying about filming everything on a phone.

LM10
LM10

Best driver in the best car and the best team. An unbeatable combination. Look at how smooth this W10 was lapped in a track-record time - on 32 laps old Hards. That’s another level in relation to the rest.

I don’t really have hope for a competitive next season either. There is no reason why Mercedes shouldn’t continue it’s dominant path in 2020. Only solution would be some genius innovations from the opponents.

Sierra117

djones wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 15:07
Has anybody found an on-board of Hamiltons fastest lap?

I think that would be really interesting to see.

EDIT....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAhS8tQ3XA8
That entire video is absolutely wrecked by the voice over. I don't understand why they have an incessant need to dub the obvious on a video that is meant to be an audio and video experience (driving skill and car sounds). They could have just left the voice over as text in the description. But no. Must ruin the experience. #-o
Last edited by Sierra117 on 15 Jul 2019, 15:24, edited 1 time in total.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

Titchener
Titchener

TAG wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 15:16
turbof1 wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 11:00
Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 10:48
turbo, I disagree about the safety car luck. I thought that too at the time, but even if there was no safety car, Hamilton's call to go one stop instead of two gave him the win. Bottas was always going to have to pit again and lose 20seconds on track. So even though Bottas would have been ahead after Hamilton's stop, Bottas had to stop again and Hamilton had only to stay within a few seconds of him to take the win after Bottas's second stop.

It was the choice of risking the one stop that won the race. That needed skill to make work - skill in keeping the first set of tyres alive longer, and then the skill to make the hards go longer than was predicted by Pirelli.

Hamilton made his luck and the safety car wasn't part of it.
Well, maybe. You have of course arguments in favour of that, the excellent average pace and lifespan Hamilton was somehow able to extract out of those tyres and the track position.

However, Bottas' strategy was screwed the moment the SC went out. We just can't know if Bottas had more pace to play with, when he would have went in and how quick he'd be closing the gap towards Hamilton after the second stop. Instead, he dropped behind Hamilton while without a SC he would have stayed in front after Hamilton's change of tyres. We can argue that Bottas would then have stopped earlier and probably went for the hard tyres instead (can anyone confirm he still had a set of those left?). He definitely would have been faster, but we don't know by how much because again the SC threw that out of the window, instead having to settle for an attempt for the fastest lap (and I think he royally screwed that one up).

In the end, we don't really know how the race would have played out. There's certainly a case to be made for Hamilton winning the race anyway. However, nobody will disagree it at the very least gave him a healthy margin.

It is basically luck. But you can argue if that luck played a role at all :P
Hamilton didn't have a set of new Mediums, Bottas did. As far as pace, you'd think that if Bottas was on a two stopper with the fastest compounds available to him he'd have pushed the tires not worrying about their life. It was Hamilton's decision to change strategy. Bottas was driving well, certainly well enough to keep Lewis behind, I think the decision to change to a one stopper was made by Lewis the minute he got confirmation that Bottas had put on a second set of Mediums. Lewis at that point knew he could make the one stop work, and did. SC or not, that race was over then and there.
If we are to take Andrew Benson's word for it the decision was made before the race

"What Hamilton did next was going to win him the race, safety car or no safety car. He had already decided before the grand prix started that he was going to try to go for a one-stop, knowing Bottas was doing two."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/48984959

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Hamilton decided to before the race but crucially didn't tell the team. Probably worried they'd tell Bottas.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.