Will Schumacher's Race Win and WDC records be broken?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Are Schumacher's WDC and Win records under threat of being eclipsed?

Will the 7 WDC record be broken?
3%
Will the 91 Victory record be broken?
26%
Neither record will be broken.
12%
Both records will be broken.
59%

Total votes: 172

GPR-A

Re: Will Schumacher's Race Win and WDC records be broken?

TAG wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 14:37
GPR -A wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 14:25
Only some people have this fascination to use the "Contractual" thingy to pull down Michael's achievement.
The only apples to apples comparison we can draw is that Schumacher never had a team mate win a championship.
Does it matter? When Ferrari signed Michael, they were one of the worst teams on the grid who were dumped by the likes of Mansell and Prost. The only goal that Ferrari had, was to win a championship and the only top guy who accepted the offer, was Michael. It was because of his influence was that, Brawn and Byrne joined Ferrari. Once the core was set, there was only one goal and that was to win driver's championship as Ferrari never prioritized constructor's championship so there was never a need to pair him with another champion. That craziness was well deserved by Ron Dennis, who was the reason why Lewis got champion team mates. Did he beat all of them to distinguish himself apart? You know the answer.

Would Lewis have left a team where he would have won back to back titles and had the audacity to go to a struggling team?

He left McLaren out of frustration of not being able to win another championship, just like Senna left. When Lewis switched to Mercedes, Nico was a nobody and it was purely because of Mercedes' rules of engagement which made Nico looked as competitive as he appeared and it was primarily because of Lewis' reliability nightmare due to which Nico could win that championship. Lewis was lucky that Brawn had already prepared the team for an upcoming domination.
Link -> Hamilton 'rolled his eyes' at Mercedes option - Ecclestone
But with the Red Bull door closed to Hamilton, Ecclestone revealed he personally advised the highly rated British driver to consider Mercedes.

"Why not talk to Mercedes, Lewis?" he recalls saying.

"Lewis rolled his eyes ... but I told him that he had nothing to lose as he wanted out of McLaren," said Ecclestone.
Couldn't Michael have beaten another champion as his team mate? Anybody's guess. Is that a yard stick to measure his talent, absolutely NO. Will that make him any lesser of a legend than Lewis, hell NO.

Just_a_fan

Coulthard stated that he declined a drive with Ferrari because the contract demanded he be the defined no. 2 driver to Schumacher.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan

GPR -A wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 14:53

Couldn't Michael have beaten another champion as his team mate? Anybody's guess. Is that a yard stick to measure his talent, absolutely NO. Will that make him any lesser of a legend than Lewis, hell NO.
Hamilton has driven against and beaten 3 world champions so far...

TAG

Out of curiosity how did you guys vote in the poll? I went with breaking the win record, but not the title record.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Just_a_fan

I went with win record too.

Titchener

TAG wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 15:24
Out of curiosity how did you guys vote in the poll? I went with breaking the win record, but not the title record.

I voted both. Unless Mercedes fall of a cliff I can't see why it's not achievable.

GPR-A

Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 15:20
GPR -A wrote:

Was level on points with Alonso, got beaten by Jenson in 2011 and also got beaten by Nico in 2016. Doesn't look very impressive. Does it? Even stevens at best. Wouldn't Michael have managed that? Might have bettered it.

dans79

GPR -A wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 15:50
Was level on points with Alonso, got beaten by Jenson in 2011 and also got beaten by Nico in 2016. Doesn't look very impressive. Does it? Even stevens at best. Wouldn't Michael have managed that? Might have bettered it.
he beat Alonso, that's why if you look at the official records his name is above alonso's. Perhaps you should go read the rules on how ties are broken!
197 104 103 7

TAG

GPR -A wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
GPR -A wrote:

I think it's best to not bring up anything other than the numbers. Schumacher was trounced by Rossberg.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

GPR-A

dans79 wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 15:55
GPR -A wrote:
he beat Alonso, that's why if you look at the official records his name is above alonso's. Perhaps you should go read the rules on how ties are broken!
It's debate that would never end. I myself can argue both sides as I am a fan of both of them. In this instance, as you have taken Lewis' side, I would say, no driver has ever competed with his own team and yet come out on even points. Considering such difficult atmosphere where FIA had to be present to ensure the car was all taken care of, was a mammoth effort! Imagine on fair terms how the result would have fared.

TAG

GPR -A wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 16:01
dans79 wrote:
GPR -A wrote:
It's debate that would never end. I myself can argue both sides as I am a fan of both of them. In this instance, as you have taken Lewis' side, I would say, no driver has ever competed with his own team and yet come out on even points. Considering such difficult atmosphere where FIA had to be present to ensure the car was all taken care of, was a mammoth effort! Imagine on fair terms how the result would have fared.
Tit for tat, Imagine if McLaren had given Hamilton the data about the rear wing they withheld and gave to Button. Stick to the numbers, it's easier to celebrate the achievements of both that way.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

sosic2121

dans79 wrote:
GPR -A wrote:
I would rather say they both lost.

Maybe you should ask yourself if he would "beat" him with dirty moves.
Alonso is is portrayed as villan, but you tend to forget why he blocked him in Hungary...

GPR-A

TAG wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 15:58
GPR -A wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

I think it's best to not bring up anything other than the numbers. Schumacher was trounced by Rossberg.
Best not to bring up anything else, as it suits the statement you are going to make? That's what you had to resort to? A 40+ old legend, nothing to prove to anyone, having a leisure time in F1 against an upstart, desperate to make a mark. That's just hillarious. :lol:

TAG

GPR -A wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 16:05
TAG wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 15:58
GPR -A wrote:
That's what you had to resort to? A 40+ old legend, nothing to prove to anyone, having a leisure time in F1 against a rookie desperate to make a mark. That's just hillarious. :lol:
What's the difference Button beating Hamilton in points in a season dominated by Red Bull with nothing to gain by it? You're the one making the comparisons. Schumacher got to 91 faster, that's something concrete that we can all agree on. The rest is opinion, and nothing more.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Just_a_fan

GPR -A wrote:
Beat Alonso by finishing higher in the standings (out qualified him too). Beat Button more often than was beaten (outqualified him too). Beat Rosberg more often than was beaten (outqualified him too). Hence he beat three champions and outqualified all three too. He drove two champions to run away - one went elsewhere, one retired because he knew he couldn't perform at the level required to do it again.

Rosberg beat Schumacher each season they were together. So your last point isn't even close.