2019 Sport Pesa Racing Point F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Stahlkocher

Re: 2019 Sport Pesa Racing Point F1 Team - Mercedes

German news formel1.de/motorsport-total.de are reporting a B-Version of the Racing Point for Hungary that is using more parts/knowledge of Mercedes.

According to them Ocon is getting the seat of Perez. Perez wants to leave anyway and supposedly is interested in going to Haas and replacing Grosjean.

They are not specific about the time of the driver changes so I guess they are for the next season. But the seat for Ocon is supposedly part of the contract that gives Racing Point access to more Mercedes Know-how.

bill shoe

Stahlkocher wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 20:44
According to them Ocon is getting the seat of Perez.
That’s fantastic! Now Stroll can get his ass handed to him by a third consecutive teammate!

EDIT- To be a little more serious, RP depends heavily on Perez to eke out points from a modest chassis. Can they take the risk of switching their main points-scoring driver?

Stahlkocher

bill shoe wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 01:48

EDIT- To be a little more serious, RP depends heavily on Perez to eke out points from a modest chassis. Can they take the risk of switching their main points-scoring driver?
Ocon was on par with Perez in 2018.

Perez got 62 points, Ocon 49.

But: Perez got the third place in Baku when everyone was busy crashing out in front of them. Perez had two DNF that season - both were technical problems, one in France, one in Mexico.

Ocon had five DNF and one DSQ. So he obviously lost quite a few points due to crashes etc.
Ocon got crashed out by Räikkönen in Baku, had to DNF in Spain because of an oil leak, got crashed out by Grosjean in France, got crashed out by Perez in Singapore and in Abu Dhabi he had again an oil leak leading do an DNF.
The disqualification was because of a defective mapping that resulted in too much fuel being used after the start in Austin.

The qualifying Duell went to Ocon: 16-5. I think that overall Ocon was the stronger driver in 2018. He just needed to somehow find a way to stop other people fron driving into his car.

NAPI10

Perez played major role in FI take-over; he must have secured his seat with RP for at least 2 years. Unless he wants to leave team, RP would love to have such a reliable driver.
I can understand his desire to move to Renault or McLaren(highly improbable);why Haas?

Racer X

This new package has me looking forward to the weekend!
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

sprint car76

Why would perez want to go to haas? Why would perez state in a recent articles that he had unfinished business with point racing? I doubt very much that would leave an up and coming team to go to a team thats struggling right now.

marmer

sprint car76 wrote:
27 Jul 2019, 06:12
Why would perez want to go to haas? Why would perez state in a recent articles that he had unfinished business with point racing? I doubt very much that would leave an up and coming team to go to a team thats struggling right now.
Perhaps he has seen signs that papa strol is favouring Lance more and can only see it getting worse

zeph

Kudos to young Lance for keeping it together. sure there was some luck involved, but he still had to deliver.

Is Montoya the Lance Whisperer?

search

looks like there is still quite some work to do on the car. Friday was promising, but in the race Stroll was basically the slowest of all (apart from the Williams) and those couple of laps of Perez in the wet didn't look good either. Still, great result for the team of course, and let's see how the other part of the update will work in Hungary

sprint car76

Yeh he was so slow bottas crashed trying to get by him. Hopefully the front pieces that are coming for this race will add some more speed. Want to talk about slow lets talk about gasly.

search

sprint car76 wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 18:29
Yeh he was so slow bottas crashed trying to get by him.
well, we all know that the Mercedes is pretty bad in traffic, especially in Bottas' hands.

Here is a comparison with Giovinazzi for example, for the final stint (before the SC):

STR GIO
49 1:20,543 1:18,659
50 1:22,252 1:17,643
51 1:21,061 1:17,861
52 1:19,443 1:18,097
53 1:18,816 1:18,572
54 1:18,314 1:18,464
55 1:18,346 1:19,710
56 1:18,333 1:18,039

But yeah, having a closer look at it, maybe it's not a general lack of pace, but more of a tire warming issue. That (partly) would also explain the generally poor performance in Qualifying.

sprint car76

Here's the fastest laps by some other competitors.

Raikkonen 17.746
Sainz 17.841
Giovinazzi 17.507
Hamilton 17.485

Stroll 17.831

Looks quite competitive to me. Plus he was the first to go on slick tires. After making some bad calls on tire changes earlier they called a gem on the last one. Here's hoping their front aero that their bringing will work as good as the back half.

search

The calls earlier on surely weren't perfect, but it was the same for others, and they didn't end up with a lap down. Most of all, he was just slow - and usually Stroll is very good in the rain. So that's something to look into, no matter where they finished in the end.

sprint car76

Kinda a confusing message you got going there search. He was slow, didn't end up a lap down, stroll good in the rain. Your point is????? You could take any race, any race driver and come to the conclusion that it was skill, luck, good race management or any number of reasons, but the number on the board still stands. He was fourth, he takes the point and goes on to the next race.

Still think there is a disconnect between him and his engineer. Car gets slower as qualifying goes on. Yes i know everyone is going to jump on it's the drivers fault but if you watch the video of his last run in Q2 the car was sliding all over the place. Engineer making changes in qualifying, ultra important, makes or breaks your race. Not the first time this has happened. Just my opinion.

search

with "they" I meant the competitors, not Stroll - as far as I remember, he was the only one to get lapped (apart from the Williams)?!

So basically I only meant to say that (just performance-wise, not in terms of the result of course) I expected a bigger jump, and that there's still a lot of work to do for the team.