2019 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 12-14

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
komninosm
komninosm

Re: 2019 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 12-14

Vasconia wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 08:29
First laps were truly amazing. I have a renowed respect for Bottas, it was amazing how he defended his position from Hamilton´s extreme pressure. He truly deserved to win but this SC was a joke, and also the strategy. :|
Bottas deserve to win?
SC was a joke? Did you even watch the race?
Strategy? Bottas ruined his own tires trying to block Hamilton. It's his own fault he had to pit early. So much for deserving to win... #-o

komninosm
komninosm

ispano6 wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 09:29
Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 09:18
The strategy meeting is both drivers and their race engineers sitting down together. Both knew what the other was doing and both went their way.

Or are you suggesting that the management came in and said "let's screw Bottas, just for kicks and giggles"?
1.Explain the reasoning for "splitting" strategies (to make the racing interesting is BS).
2.In what way is MED-MED-(SOFT/HARD) better than MED-HARD-(MED/SOFT)?
3.Which of the two has the option for a one stopper? Hrmmm.
2. HARD is slower than MED often...

NathanOlder

Justthatek wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 19:58
Just about to watch the race replay again on sky and Crofty constantly saying "milliseconds" really?!?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
yeah that really really bugs me. I like Crofty, but that is 1 thing I hate, its childish. As for his over excited rants, that's kind of his job, and I said previously, he's nowhere near as bad as James Allen, so people need to zip it, when they say he's over the top.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

NathanOlder

izzy wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 23:19
rogazilla wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 22:14

Agreed that Seb was going faster and he does seem committed to the inside move on Max. All of this happen in split second, Still Seb was the car behind. As the following car, you can predict the car in front would go back on racing line to make the corner and try the inside move but you also have to be prepared for the lead car to defend the inside. Hence it is still Seb's job to recognize that Max is defending inside. In fact I do think he realized that and as he locks wheels, as mentioned earlier likely being so close to Max, reduced downforce, he ram into the back of Max.

In my view, Max' defending inside as he is slower and already on the left side of the track. Going back to racing line to make the left hand turn is just opening up the door for VET who has the speed that's going to take the inside (what Max would have done in Vet's position). By blocking inside and forcing VET to take the outside line or slow down following Max through the corner is really the only way for Max to defend. Look at some of Sainz' on board and may others in this race, blocking the inside at this corner is what most choose to do also.
yes you can see why each driver did what they did. Look at this though, for my point of view. Slow it down to .25 speed and watch at 26s as they come back into view after the dip. Seb has just finished his dummy to the right, and so Max is towards the middle of the track. Seb goes to the left, aiming for the space, and Max mirrors him

That second move of Max is what makes it his fault imo. He closes off the space, only by 10% or whatever, but it's enough and now Seb can't possibly stop in time, he goes right to avoid wheel on wheel and Max goes right a bit too so it ends up just looking like Seb drove into the back of him. But Max has moved left, too late. But quite subtlely. It's all just like Baku but not as obvious
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeAH-V_6MjQ
After watching this in slow motion like you say, you have a point mate. Max moves both ways mirroring Vettel, thats a fact.

for me it was too quick and too tight to blame either more than the other. I feel its more a racing incident after seeing this.

p. s if they fell Vettel is at fsult, then Vettels penalty was a joke, after they decided to penalise him, a 10 sec penalty does nothing at all.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

yelistener

Juzh wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 21:29
yelistener wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 15:18
Juzh wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 16:42
Verstappen's onboard was absolutely thrilling to watch, a real shame for that crash.
Hey man can you do lewis' fastest lap onboard with telemetry?
here you go. fastest lap with telemetry and no abnoxious commentary
https://streamable.com/984e8
:shock:

Flat through Copse with 33-lap-old hards that's ridiculous. And his speeds through other corners were no less than last year's pole. It's 1.5s slower than 2018 pole only because of straight line speeds and no DRS. All these leads to the conclusion that 2019 pole could've been a lot faster.

BTW, was Bottas' onboard on T-cam when he was doing his fastest lap? If so, is it possible for you to do that lap with telemetry? Sorry for asking for a lot. They have the incredible pace in the race and it's a shame that it was not there in quali. :P

RZS10

Love how everyone arguing pro Vettel ignores this post i made

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=28264&p=847828#p847828

I added a few earlier frames, Verstappen was never not going to cover the inside line, the gap would always naturally disappear towards the apex after opening up for the escape road or whatever you want to call it ... there's no reacting to Vettel's line, just coming out of the left hander continuously going left until he had a straight line towards the apex where he then went right wanting to open the corner a little

Without the line

Watch the long video on F1 .com ...
In the onboard Verstappen looks for Vettel in his right mirror when he's still on the curb (roughly at I.) - Vettel is straight behind him.
He then checks his left mirror where the green part of the curb ends (II) and stops doing it where the curb ends, he doesn't see Vettel because he's to the right of him.
He then checks his right mirror at the white line (IV), Vettel is still to his right, he continues on his path towards the apex and keeps checking his right mirror, probably expecting Vettel to attack there and then gets taken out, not once looking to the left after Vettel decides to go left.
It's worth noting that he's not turning right at any point.

So in conclusion: he mirrored jack sh!t

The amusing thing is that Leclerc was defending way harder, actually reacted to Max and moved under braking, yet Max was able to handle it in contrast to Vettel who completely misjedged the situation (as he admitted himself).

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

With regard to the current Vettel situation. I do wonder if Ferrari and now starting to wonder if they have bought a pup. Sorry to Vettel fans and I mean that with no disrespect but he looks so fragile and has for at least 2 years now.

Look at his reaction to the situation in Canada when he was talking about how racing isn’t how it used to be. He just seems to be mentally elsewhere at times. Maybe the pressure of being the lead at a team like Ferrari who won’t expect anything but winning is starting to grate on him. I doubt a new hotshot team mate is helping either. Something just doesn’t feel right.

I can genuinely see him riding off into the sunset sooner rather than later because his options are rather slim. Going down the grid.
Mercedes-No way are Mercedes going to risk it with Hamilton bringing them continued WDC/WCC.
RedBull-Not with Verstappen in the other car.
McLaren-Will they want to be bitten again after Alonso. Doubtful
Renault-Ricciardo. So never gunna happen.
After that you are down to also rans and I can’t see Vettel fancying that.

langedweil

*double post*
Last edited by langedweil on 16 Jul 2019, 04:24, edited 1 time in total.
HuggaWugga !

langedweil

langedweil wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 03:45
jz11 wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 20:40
... but there always seems to be that special case he is exploiting that later leads to more harm than good over all, like the "impossibility" for him especially to pass Leclerc on the outside :D but Leclerc later demonstrated how to do it successfully
Don't agree with you; because of his hardware VES always (well most of the times, without incidents or DNF's) had to extract at least 110% from his hardware to maybe, maybe have a chance on a go .. whereas the Ferrari's could do with 100% and the Mercs at times even with 90% or lower.

LEC's pass was absolutely very nice en well done, totally agree, but it wasn't just racecraft alone.

and think about this small statistic - Leclerc 31 GP starts, Verstappen 91 GP starts, but from the action on the track one would get the feeling that it should be the other way around, isn't it ?
Again, don't agree ..
In my humble opinion and while knowing perfectly well it's not done to make the comparison (but nevertheless I do): I see the contoures alike a Prost/Senna era. One as the calm, calculated and almost boring Prost (but losing his head every now and then), and one as the racer that always aims way above 100% (but does fail at times).

I'd say there is no need comparing the guys, or put one above the other. Let's just enjoy for yrs to come, hopefully with guys like Nor, Alb, Rus in the mix as well. Finally I saw some racing again ...
HuggaWugga !

yelistener

2018 pole vs 2019 fastest lap

wade_16
wade_16

Trying to track Vettel's Ferrari history of mistakes.

Has anybody documented each season, race and how the crash/problem occurred.

Be very interesting to see the trend, especially the last two years.

Andres125sx

OMG, didn´t watch the race till yesterday... what a race!! :wtf: =D> =D> =D>

First of all, it´s me or this has been the evidence of the new aero rules being extremelly positive? I mean, it looked like if, for first time dirty air was almost unexistant and cars could take advantage of the slipstream

Awesome battle between RBR and Ferrari, incredible mistake by Vettel once again, impressive defense of Lecrerc (and Sainz the final laps against Ricciardo)

What an awesome race, Liberty is doing a great job =D>

DutchDopey
DutchDopey

NathanOlder wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 00:26

After watching this in slow motion like you say, you have a point mate. Max moves both ways mirroring Vettel, thats a fact.

for me it was too quick and too tight to blame either more than the other. I feel its more a racing incident after seeing this.

p. s if they fell Vettel is at fsult, then Vettels penalty was a joke, after they decided to penalise him, a 10 sec penalty does nothing at all.
Like I said previous, this incident puts Max related discussions in perspective.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

wade_16 wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 06:14
Trying to track Vettel's Ferrari history of mistakes.

Has anybody documented each season, race and how the crash/problem occurred.

Be very interesting to see the trend, especially the last two years.
TBH it’s not just the mistakes. It’s his whole demeanour.

Every time I see a meltdown like in Canada it strikes me as somebody who is under extreme pressure who doesn’t seem very happy. The smile seems to have gone and I feel for the bloke.

NathanOlder

yelistener wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 01:18
Juzh wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 21:29
yelistener wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 15:18

Hey man can you do lewis' fastest lap onboard with telemetry?
here you go. fastest lap with telemetry and no abnoxious commentary
:shock:

Flat through Copse with 33-lap-old hards that's ridiculous. And his speeds through other corners were no less than last year's pole. It's 1.5s slower than 2018 pole only because of straight line speeds and no DRS. All these leads to the conclusion that 2019 pole could've been a lot faster.

BTW, was Bottas' onboard on T-cam when he was doing his fastest lap? If so, is it possible for you to do that lap with telemetry? Sorry for asking for a lot. They have the incredible pace in the race and it's a shame that it was not there in quali. :P
Maybe its just the new track surface, after 52 laps by 17 cars was done, the track was properly rubbered in.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.