2019 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 12-14

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
NathanOlder

Re: 2019 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 12-14

Restomaniac wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 08:17
wade_16 wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 06:14
Trying to track Vettel's Ferrari history of mistakes.

Has anybody documented each season, race and how the crash/problem occurred.

Be very interesting to see the trend, especially the last two years.
TBH it’s not just the mistakes. It’s his whole demeanour.

Every time I see a meltdown like in Canada it strikes me as somebody who is under extreme pressure who doesn’t seem very happy. The smile seems to have gone and I feel for the bloke.
Nah, I think its just levelling off in his career. All through the redbull years many people were saying he's not as good as his results say. And the last 2 years have proven all those people right.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

marvin78
marvin78

Andres125sx wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 07:55

What an awesome race, Liberty is doing a great job =D>
I am not sure, that this is down to anything Liberty Media does.

And you all miss, that Mercedes is unbeatable again and that the battles are very good but the WDC and WCC is already decided. That's not Mercedes' fault and not Liberty's but it's a problem.
Last edited by marvin78 on 16 Jul 2019, 09:47, edited 1 time in total.

epo
epo

NathanOlder wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 08:42
Restomaniac wrote:
wade_16 wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 06:14
Trying to track Vettel's Ferrari history of mistakes.

Has anybody documented each season, race and how the crash/problem occurred.

Be very interesting to see the trend, especially the last two years.

Every time I see a meltdown like in Canada it strikes me as somebody who is under extreme pressure who doesn’t seem very happy. The smile seems to have gone and I feel for the bloke.
Nah, I think its just levelling off in his career. All through the redbull years many people were saying he's not as good as his results say. And the last 2 years have proven all those people right.
Didn't prove anything, just peoples dumb hate against a driver.

Andres125sx

As you said yourself, that's not Liberty fault :wink:

Liberty is responsible for the show, and that has been improving since their entry, so thumbs up for Liberty

marvin78
marvin78

Andres125sx wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 08:54
As you said yourself, that's not Liberty fault :wink:

Liberty is responsible for the show, and that has been improving since their entry, so thumbs up for Liberty
Why thumbs up to Liberty? What have they done and what that Liberty has done made the race on Sunday a good race? I don't really understand why the flowers go to Liberty. You could also celebrate Pirelli who finally made tires which do not fall apart in a fight for one lap. They do after a couple but we can see progress after all these years.

NathanOlder

epo wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 08:53
NathanOlder wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:

People are not dumb because they dont rate a driver.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Vasconia

komninosm wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 23:48
Vasconia wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 08:29
First laps were truly amazing. I have a renowed respect for Bottas, it was amazing how he defended his position from Hamilton´s extreme pressure. He truly deserved to win but this SC was a joke, and also the strategy. :|
Bottas deserve to win?
Your Hamilton hate is oozing out mate.
SC was a joke? Did you even watch the race?
Strategy? Bottas ruined his own tires trying to block Hamilton. It's his own fault he had to pit early. So much for deserving to win... #-o
Calm down, I have never hated a single driver, hate is only for the worst enemies and even in that case I try to avoid this feeling.

I think the SC was not necessary, in my opinión a VSC was enough. Bottas did a great qualy and his defense against Hamilton was great, and yes, because of this I think he deserved to win. If you can´t accept my point of view, its your damn problem.
Last edited by turbof1 on 16 Jul 2019, 10:42, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Don't stir. You are allowed to defend yourself, but remain respectful.

Andres125sx

epo wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 08:53
NathanOlder wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:

Sorry to say this, but I'd say now it's obvious Vettel's consistency in RBR was due to his awesome car, not because of his own consistency, which proves those people had an argument, despite all Vettel fans assuming it was just hate against his favourite driver

To me it was sad watching him returning to pits at SC speed despite his car had no mayor damage, he ruined kis own race twice!

Compare that to Alonso returning to pit with two flat tires and the car dragging the floor through the tarmac...

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

marvin78 wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 08:45

And you all miss, that Mercedes is unbeatable again and that the battles are very good but the WDC and WCC is already decided. That's Mercedes' fault and not Liberty's but it's a problem.
It's not Mercedes's fault that they're the best team. It's the fault of other teams that they can't beat them.

Look at this race - RedBull have caught up with Ferrari. That gave us the fight between them. The track helped here too, but the fight was because RBR got better. If they, and Ferrari, can get better again then the racing at the front will improve again.

But don't blame Mercedes because they've done their job properly.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

marvin78
marvin78

Just_a_fan wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 09:27
marvin78 wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 08:45

And you all miss, that Mercedes is unbeatable again and that the battles are very good but the WDC and WCC is already decided. That's Mercedes' fault and not Liberty's but it's a problem.
It's not Mercedes's fault that they're the best team. It's the fault of other teams that they can't beat them.

Look at this race - RedBull have caught up with Ferrari. That gave us the fight between them. The track helped here too, but the fight was because RBR got better. If they, and Ferrari, can get better again then the racing at the front will improve again.

But don't blame Mercedes because they've done their job properly.
If you read my post properly you will see, that I don't blame Mercedes. That's not even the point. Please read.

The point is that we had good fights in several races in every season. They all were in the midfield and often not on camera. Now we had two races with fights further up the grid. That's good but it's not a new F1. And another point is that you cannot hype Liberty Media for this.

Yes I missed a "not" but without it, my post does not make sense, so you could just read it in.

izzy
izzy

RZS10 wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 01:40
Love how everyone arguing pro Vettel ignores this post i made

So in conclusion: he mirrored jack sh!t

The amusing thing is that Leclerc was defending way harder, actually reacted to Max and moved under braking, yet Max was able to handle it in contrast to Vettel who completely misjedged the situation (as he admitted himself).
Often the best posts get ignored, as people can't see how to argue with them. It's a great post, but there's no reason in the world for Max to take that line except to defend from Seb. Also it shows there WAS a gap, Seb went for it and Max closed it

izzy
izzy

NathanOlder wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 00:26

After watching this in slow motion like you say, you have a point mate. Max moves both ways mirroring Vettel, thats a fact.

for me it was too quick and too tight to blame either more than the other. I feel its more a racing incident after seeing this.

p. s if they fell Vettel is at fsult, then Vettels penalty was a joke, after they decided to penalise him, a 10 sec penalty does nothing at all.
Yay thank you :) Seb's move was aggressive but suppose Max hadn't made that late block and it had been a stunning pass? Anyone else that's what it would've been

The stewards were a disgrace to miss it if you ask me, all the angles they're supposed to have, and yes that 10s is just timid. Tho they're right to be timid because they are in fact hopeless at their job!

Maritimer
Maritimer

Looked to me as if Vettel was banking on Max returning to the racing line rather than keep the inside, like he was going to try and out brake him into the turn. They were both drifting right, Seb ran out of room to make the move, obviously.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

marvin78 wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 09:46
The point is that we had good fights in several races in every season. They all were in the midfield and often not on camera.
That's been my bugbear for many years. We've had people moaning that "there's no racing in F1" and yet the midfield is often quite spicy. The problem is that the TV directors insist on showing the top three driving around doing their own things. They love to cut to shots of cars trundling down the pitlane rather than cars on track racing. On Sunday, during the Bottas / Hamilton tussle, they cut to a shot of the crowd right at the point that the move was being made!

Get the TV direction sorted out, and people will see a lot more action and be much happier.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

zac510
zac510

TV direction is much improved these days. There was a race at Magny Cours in 2004 or 2005, Schu vs Alonso in the Renault. It still sticks out in my memory as being (I exaggerate) 99% focussed on Schu vs a Renault and little else. It must have been one of the last race contracts that had a local TV team/director.

I thought it was pretty good on Sunday. They recognised when Hamilton had backed off from his push in the first laps and moved to show other parts of the field and start replays. They gave a lot of time to Norris vs Ric, Albon and other battles down the field when the top 6 was clearly settled.

There's only one screen and only so much they can show, and I respect it must be pretty hard to make the right decision in the heat of the moment.