2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Macklaren

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

It's interesting that at tracks where Mclaren is faster than Renault, Renault tends to be nowhere but when Renault is faster than Mclaren, we still end up either ahead of or just behind them. This is what is going to give Mclaren P4 in the championship

SmallSoldier

We have had 48% of the Championship so far... A lot can happen from here to Abu Dhabi and with such a tight midfield, you could be on the losing side quiet easily... A lot of work to do if the team wants to maintain 4th, I wouldn’t consider it a given a this point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Emag

McLaren will switch to next year sooner than the others. They themselves said that getting 4th this year is not the top priority. It is rather a bonus. If they don't get it, it was not what they were aiming for anyway. They are aiming for further improvements, bridging the gap to the top 3, not being the best of the midfield.

Macklaren

Emag wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 17:19
McLaren will switch to next year sooner than the others. They themselves said that getting 4th this year is not the top priority. It is rather a bonus. If they don't get it, it was not what they were aiming for anyway. They are aiming for further improvements, bridging the gap to the top 3, not being the best of the midfield.
I don't know about that...I hear you on the long term ambitions but P4 this year is def their top priority. Their shareholders def want to stop paying the team budget out of pocket (though the raft of new sponsors this year also help)

604gtir

Macklaren wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 18:31
Emag wrote:
I don't know about that...I hear you on the long term ambitions but P4 this year is def their top priority. Their shareholders def want to stop paying the team budget out of pocket (though the raft of new sponsors this year also help)
i doubt the prize money is a concern for them
4 38m
5 35m

Granted 3m difference is not pocket change but it isn't going to make mclaren fold.
Last edited by 604gtir on 18 Jul 2019, 19:12, edited 2 times in total.

Big Tea

604gtir wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 18:47
Macklaren wrote:
Emag wrote:

5 35m
6 38m

Granted 3m difference is not pocket change but it isn't going to make mclaren fold.

It will make a big difference to those in the team, and also to potential incoming sponsor.
4th is the next step to being one of the top rank, no matter the points difference between 3rd 4th and 5th, it seems a much better position to everyone.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

diffuser

Emag wrote:
Switching to next year might not mean much. It depends on what needs changing. Since the regulations are constant, most of the new parts will likely Bolt-on.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they attack the 2021 car as soon as the regs for that are released.

mwillems

604gtir wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 18:47
Macklaren wrote:
Emag wrote:
4 38m
5 35m

I would be surprised if their sponsorship is based on flat payments and not including performance related bonus'

So there will likely be a lot more than 3 million available from finishing fourth along with the headlines (and sponsorship) that go with rising from the ashes of the last few seasons. Finishing fourth is important to this team.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

RonDennis

nzjrs wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 09:48
diffuser wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 03:23
Wynters wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 16:26
I'd also be interested to know the wording of the engine contract. It's not unprecedented for the factory team to have upgrades (software, etc) before the customer teams. Undoubtedly, McLaren are doing a great job, especially given their travails in recent seasons.
I'm getting tired of repeating THIS.......... IT IS NOT ALLOWED TO RUN A PU UPGRADE OR MAP THAT HAS NOT BEEN MADE AVAILABLE TO ALL CUSTOMER TEAMS. The FIA verify this regularly.
It's worth listening to the missed apex podacst with former lotus F1 team boss where they discuss this subject.
It's not, since the rules were not in place during that era. Is it really that hard to understand that it's not allowed.

Wynters

diffuser wrote:
Wynters wrote:
I'd also be interested to know the wording of the engine contract. It's not unprecedented for the factory team to have upgrades (software, etc) before the customer teams. Undoubtedly, McLaren are doing a great job, especially given their travails in recent seasons.
I'm getting tired of repeating THIS.......... IT IS NOT ALLOWED TO RUN A PU UPGRADE OR MAP THAT HAS NOT BEEN MADE AVAILABLE TO ALL CUSTOMER TEAMS. The FIA verify this regularly.
Good point, well made. Thank you!
For the benefit of others who, like me, are behind the times. The clarification was issued in Technical Directive TD/005-18:
The purpose of [point] five of Appendix four to the F1 Sporting Regulations* is to ensure that all power units supplied by one manufacturer are identical in all respects, we have good reason to believe that this may not be the case. Whilst the dossiers for each team may be identical it would appear that some are being operated in a different way to others being supplied by the same manufacturer, this renders the purpose of [point] five almost meaningless.

It is therefore our view that all power units supplied by one manufacturer should be identical, not only in terms of the dossier for each team being the same, but we also feel they should be operated in an identical way. With this in mind, we will expect all power units supplied by the same manufacturer to be:

i) Identical according to the dossier for each team.
and, unless a team informs us that they have declined any of the following, they should be:
ii) Run with identical software and must be capable of being operated in precisely the same way.
iii) Run with identical specifications of oil and fuel.
*Point five of Appendix four to the F1 Sporting Regulations is as follows:

Each manufacturer shall submit an homologation dossier for each team it intends to supply. There may only be one homologation dossier per team. Save for the dossier related to the power unit supplied to a team according to Article 23.4 b) of these Sporting Regulations, the dossiers for the teams supplied by a manufacturer shall be identical, at any given time, save for differences in parts agreed by the FIA at its absolute discretion to be solely associated with power unit installation with different teams, provided such differences have no significant effect on car performance. The FIA will grant dispensation from this Article (i) should the difference(s) have no effect on the power unit price and (ii) should the team refuse such difference(s) proposed by its manufacturer.
https://www.racefans.net/2018/02/23/fia ... mpetitive/

Would it be possible for a team to be contractually obliged to refuse point(s) ii) and iii) of TD/005-18? Or, similarly, activate clause (ii) of Point five of Appendix four to the F1 Sporting Regulations?

diffuser

Wynters wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 22:20
diffuser wrote:
Wynters wrote:
Good point, well made. Thank you!
For the benefit of others who, like me, are behind the times. The clarification was issued in Technical Directive TD/005-18:
The purpose of [point] five of Appendix four to the F1 Sporting Regulations* is to ensure that all power units supplied by one manufacturer are identical in all respects, we have good reason to believe that this may not be the case. Whilst the dossiers for each team may be identical it would appear that some are being operated in a different way to others being supplied by the same manufacturer, this renders the purpose of [point] five almost meaningless.

It is therefore our view that all power units supplied by one manufacturer should be identical, not only in terms of the dossier for each team being the same, but we also feel they should be operated in an identical way. With this in mind, we will expect all power units supplied by the same manufacturer to be:

i) Identical according to the dossier for each team.
and, unless a team informs us that they have declined any of the following, they should be:
ii) Run with identical software and must be capable of being operated in precisely the same way.
iii) Run with identical specifications of oil and fuel.
*Point five of Appendix four to the F1 Sporting Regulations is as follows:

Each manufacturer shall submit an homologation dossier for each team it intends to supply. There may only be one homologation dossier per team. Save for the dossier related to the power unit supplied to a team according to Article 23.4 b) of these Sporting Regulations, the dossiers for the teams supplied by a manufacturer shall be identical, at any given time, save for differences in parts agreed by the FIA at its absolute discretion to be solely associated with power unit installation with different teams, provided such differences have no significant effect on car performance. The FIA will grant dispensation from this Article (i) should the difference(s) have no effect on the power unit price and (ii) should the team refuse such difference(s) proposed by its manufacturer.
https://www.racefans.net/2018/02/23/fia ... mpetitive/

Would it be possible for a team to be contractually obliged to refuse point(s) ii) and iii) of TD/005-18? Or, similarly, activate clause (ii) of Point five of Appendix four to the F1 Sporting Regulations?
You can't break the rules without being penalized. So you can contract whatever you want but the rules will be enforced.

nzjrs

RonDennis wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 22:17
nzjrs wrote:
diffuser wrote:

It's worth listening to the missed apex podacst with former lotus F1 team boss where they discuss this subject.
It's not, since the rules were not in place during that era. Is it really that hard to understand that it's not allowed.
He discusses the first years of the hybrids.

RonDennis

nzjrs wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 23:12
RonDennis wrote:
nzjrs wrote:

So what? The rule was introduced in 2018. It's no longer allowed.

https://www.racefans.net/2018/02/26/cus ... ld-closer/

nzjrs

RonDennis wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 23:38
nzjrs wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 23:12
RonDennis wrote:

So what? The rule was introduced in 2018. It's no longer allowed.

https://www.racefans.net/2018/02/26/cus ... ld-closer/
Interesting. Do you disagree with his summary that the engines are opererated by the manufacturer and not team personnel, and that the acceptible risk envelope for customers is different than for manufacturers. Did you enjoy the episode?

_cerber1

Already working on Hungary. =D>