[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2019 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2019 (Grand Prix Cars)

Hi, I can't find (paragraph N°5) if there is any limit about the heat exchangers dimensions (provided that the area is 180000mm2 and the thickness is 60mm)

LVDH

CAEdevice wrote:
25 Jul 2019, 11:39
Hi, I can't find (paragraph N°5) if there is any limit about the heat exchangers dimensions (provided that the area is 180000mm2 and the thickness is 60mm)
Looks like you found some design freedom.

I was made aware that MFlow calculates the reference length wrong when using MVRC templates as you guys do. I have already fixed that but the next release will have to wait until next week Friday, as it will include many new features and needs a lot of testing.
I do not think that this affects you very much though. The pitching moment coefficient is not correct because of this but the CoP calculation remains correct (at least when looking at the math, that is what my brain says, I have not tried).

Also as pointed out, we forgot to mention what targets you guys have. I will update that later in the rules. The new CoP has to be at 1.85m.

CAEdevice

6.1.4 The engine inlet inner templates are the volume(s) formed by an extrusion of each inlet surface rearward along its normal for a distance of 100mm. These templates must be entirely enclosed in bodywork and must not intersect any other parts or .
Included the "engine intake plenum" template?

rjsa

I’ll try to come up with a car in time ;)

Any pointers to Variante’s best formula work ?

rjsa

I've registered, logged in but can't download software.

CAEdevice

CAEdevice wrote:
25 Jul 2019, 22:43
6.1.4 The engine inlet inner templates are the volume(s) formed by an extrusion of each inlet surface rearward along its normal for a distance of 100mm. These templates must be entirely enclosed in bodywork and must not intersect any other parts or .
Included the "engine intake plenum" template?
Another question:

How should we manage the intersection between supension arms and side pods? With holes? How much large? Simply doing nothing and accepting interference (hoels would not make a big difference in CFD, but would be non very easy to model.... despite not very difficult given the gap to consdier).

LVDH

rjsa wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 16:42
I've registered, logged in but can't download software.
That should be fixed, sorry about that.

CAEdevice wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 18:08
How should we manage the intersection between supension arms and side pods? With holes? How much large? Simply doing nothing and accepting interference (hoels would not make a big difference in CFD, but would be non very easy to model.... despite not very difficult given the gap to consdier).
I will discuss that with Richard.

I just uploaded a new version of the provided geometry. This fixes the problematic front wing mid-section and along with that the front wing legality volumes.
Another issue pointed out to us is that the engine cover volume gets very close to the engine, which can make modelling of parts in this area a bit difficult. I will discuss with Richard how to fix this. Obviously these rules are still new and fresh so there might be some other details we did not prepare perfectly. You guys can always send us an email to point out these issues.
My intention is always to lock the rules, geometry and MFlow version one week ahead of a submission deadline. Also there will never be big changes in the rules two weeks ahead of a race.

machin

the engine cover volume gets very close to the engine
Yes... it seems that when I stretched the wheelbase and moved the engine it made things a little too close... it is still possible to create a compliant solution... but it is very tight.... I’ve sent a new volume to Andre to approves; it is basically a little wider around the rear face of the engine model. If you can make something compliant with the current volume, it will be compliant with the new one. 😉

My open-source rules-compliant design is basically ready to go... but let’s wait for the final volumes before I release it...
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

RicME85

Ive had a very quick look at the rules and files with the intention of starting work on a car at some point.
I have a question about the survival cell area. It says "The following supplied parts, in their supplied position, and without modification must be fully enclosed within the competitor’s model" does this mean if I was to use the outside surface of the survival cell and extrude it 10mm that would be what is required?
The reason I ask is previously we obviously have had the survival cell (KVRC days) but that didnt need to be enclosed, your bodywork was level with the exterior surface of the cell.

machin

Yes, that’s right; If you could enlarge it by just 1mm in each direction it would be eligible... you don’t need to go to 10mm... but you might be able to create some nicer radiused corners if you do make it bigger...

RicME85

Excellent, cheers. I thought 10mm due to the minimum thickness rule. I wasnt sure if it would be legal with a small extrusion.

machin

Ah yes I see the confusion; you don’t need to “shell” your safety cell component; it doesn’t need to have a thickness, it just needs to envelope/surround the internal part we provide, so that when we load up your part and our part we can’t see our part...

Does that make sense?

machin

OK... so I haven't had any contact with Andre (LVDH) for a few days, but I've put my car on my website so you can download it here (FreeCAD format only at the moment):-

Competition-Car-Engineering_Car_03

Some notes:
  • The car is very basic. :D
  • It has not been CFD tested
  • It should be compliant with the new engine cover volume, once approved by Andre
  • ideas for improvement: (in no particular order)
    • More radii/smoother transitions between parts
    • Narrower head protection
    • Tighter bodywork around the engine
    • Barge boards/turning vanes
    • more detailed front wing and end plates
    • More detailed floor edges (especially floor leading edge)
    • Vortex generators under front wing
    • Diffuser Strakes
    Essentially its intended as a basic starting point so you can get to the interesting parts straight away.... it's not intended to be a winner out of the box (but you can see that from the image above!)

Ft5fTL

Is the rule 5.1.2 deactive for the time being?
5.1.2 The planar shapes may be rotated around the Y-axis only. [deleted]
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing