2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
NL_Fer

Re: 2021 Aero Thread

A lighter car, with lower cog, would that need less downforce to corner? Would a lower minimum weight increase racing?

Smokes

May make it cheaper to compete.

Just_a_fan

The only way to make it cheaper, properly cheaper, is to have an aero package that is specified by the FIA i.e. a spec series. If there is scope for the teams to develop things, be that aero or chassis, then they will spend money.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

outer_bongolia

To make it cheaper, one simple solution:

After the first two races, forbid the five teams with most points before each race from testing or running any updates and changes to their cars for.

The smaller teams’ limited budgets will then enable them to catch up.
Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
Carl Sagan

Maplesoup

outer_bongolia wrote:
24 Jul 2019, 21:29
To make it cheaper, one simple solution:

After the first two races, forbid the five teams with most points before each race from testing or running any updates and changes to their cars for.

The smaller teams’ limited budgets will then enable them to catch up.
Big teams will just spend more money on simulations instead

outer_bongolia

Well, they can’t bring updates until the smaller teams catch up with them.
Currently there are three giants battling it out with unlimited budgets. The rest are spending a lot of their limited money to not fall too far behind.
There is a risk that one giant -at least initially- will cruise with a lot of victories early in the season, but at least the others will get a chance to catch up.
I am not claiming this is the best solution. It can be optimized and made better. But it is a proposal that I think is worth discussing.
Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
Carl Sagan

Maplesoup

outer_bongolia wrote:
25 Jul 2019, 21:57
Currently there are three giants battling it out with unlimited budgets. The rest are spending a lot of their limited money to not fall too far behind.
There is a risk that one giant -at least initially- will cruise with a lot of victories early in the season, but at least the others will get a chance to catch up.
I am not claiming this is the best solution. It can be optimized and made better. But it is a proposal that I think is worth discussing.
But as soon as the other teams have caught up the top teams will just bring an entirely new car and blitz everyone by a second.

Pyrone89

Maplesoup wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 11:11
outer_bongolia wrote:
25 Jul 2019, 21:57

But as soon as the other teams have caught up the top teams will just bring an entirely new car and blitz everyone by a second.
Or as it is called in the business of F1: doing a Mercedes
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

outer_bongolia

Well, to test and implement updates, they’d need to become the #6 team. Then, need to find a gains to go from 6th to 1st.
I can see cases where this would be hard.
Carl Sagan

roon

In some alternate history... The turbocompound engines were introduced in 2009 (or, exhaust location and f-duct rules were never instated in 2011 & 2012). With high velocity and mass, valved, variable and switchable wastegate flow, the most effective f-ducts and EBDs ever were realized. Every advantagious location on the car had a small pipe routed to it for pneumatic assistance. BOV outflow was routed to more temperature sensitive areas (brakes, anyone?). Some even experimented with closing off their radiator ducts, choosing to release and expand a portion of compressor flow in front of their water and oil heat exchangers.

JordanMugen

Maplesoup wrote:
25 Jul 2019, 09:25
Big teams will just spend more money on simulations instead
Budget cap... :wink:

Thunder

JordanMugen wrote:
28 Jul 2019, 20:20
Budget cap... :wink:
.... which isn't nearly low enough to make a big difference.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Maplesoup

Don't think the budget cap will do much.

I think most of the larger teams will just break off parts of the team into 2nd companies which are funded by a different route, i.e. Daimler for Merc, Mclaren automotive, Red bull racing technology, Williams applied technologies.

So for instance the cost of running and maintaining the windtunnel, or the CFD hardware etc will be paid by a secondary company and the race team will be a customer who basically pay £1 to use their services. Then group like Daimler will just move funds around to cover the operating costs of the secondary company.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

turbof1

"Ground effect got banned outright in safety grounds" ehh, no.

Skirts got banned. There is no rule that outlawed ground effect. a lot of the car we have now is running in ground effect.

Also, the diffuser exit throws out a lot of turbulent airflow. It's not "nice and clean"! You need a rear wing to get rid of that flow, the so called mushrooming effect.
#AeroFrodo