New Vietnamese Track

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Vasconia

Re: New Vietnamese Track

PlatinumZealot wrote:
21 Apr 2019, 00:17
I see a wall of champions in there... safety cars and red flags guaranteed!
Its fast and have straights, I do agree with you. At least this could add some excitemment to the race in case it is dull. :mrgreen:

PlatinumZealot

Vasconia wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 11:00
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Its fast and have straights, I do agree with you. At least this could add some excitemment to the race in case it is dull. :mrgreen:
There is a specific wall in the video I'm referring to :wink: Watch it and you will see it.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Ringleheim

LM10 wrote:
19 Apr 2019, 13:24
Looks unspectacular.
It will fit right into the new era of garbage F1 tracks.

Doesn't appear to be a proper corner on the entire lap.

Vasconia

PlatinumZealot wrote:
25 Apr 2019, 00:50
Vasconia wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 11:00
PlatinumZealot wrote:
There is a specific wall in the video I'm referring to :wink: Watch it and you will see it.
Already watched. The track has plenty of parts where a car could kiss the wall.

PlatinumZealot

More like smashing head on if you slighlty miss your line.. I will time stamp it for you.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

astracrazy

Looks as expected. Crap.

Will be full of artificial overtaking from long straights using DRS and thats it. It looks like the track has been designed for this.

I don't see one corner where you could make a dive down the inside or go around the outside. They are either too fast or there is an immediate 90 degree in the opposite direction meaning there wouldn't be space.

JAA17

If anyone has played the board game 'Formula D' by Asmodee, then they will know the street circuits are the best in that one.

I wish they would do Baku in Formula D, because you have the low gear corners and you will use the 30-sided dice on the straight. Wow, I love getting that 30-sided dice into action.

It is really fun when you get games with all 10 players.
[Alonso Fan]

JAA17

astracrazy wrote:
25 Apr 2019, 15:18
Looks as expected. Crap.

Will be full of artificial overtaking from long straights using DRS and thats it. It looks like the track has been designed for this.

I don't see one corner where you could make a dive down the inside or go around the outside. They are either too fast or there is an immediate 90 degree in the opposite direction meaning there wouldn't be space.
I do not like DRS. Wish they would get rid of that. It is dumb.
[Alonso Fan]

dtro

https://www.planetf1.com/news/vietnam-g ... ure-model/

Very much not looking forward to the possibility of more tracks like this one. Why is this the trend, y'know besides the obvious financial benefits of yet another street course?

Manoah2u

dtro wrote:
25 Jul 2019, 15:30
https://www.planetf1.com/news/vietnam-g ... ure-model/

Very much not looking forward to the possibility of more tracks like this one. Why is this the trend, y'know besides the obvious financial benefits of yet another street course?
It looks like nobody responsible in those functions within the FIA or anything like that seems to get that the problem is that when you're going for 'purpose-built' stuff, you are actually making things artificially controlled, which is generally the entire problem in F1 nowadays, as mentioned above by another member regarding DRS, i hate it to my guts aswell.

I get that there are safety measures to take, and that when you make a new circuit you think about what you want.

The fun about F1, or F1 in the past, to be honest, is that cars are built according a certain philosophy and as such, one car works great on a track, and then on another track it's the opposite.

That opens up the playing field, makes it less predictable and makes it harder for engineers to come up with something that will work as perfect as it can for every track.

If you start building tracks according to a philosophy where you want to artificially create something exciting, you're gonna start thinking in boxes and working with a 'mold', as if doing factory work.

For example, i am excited for Zandvoort's return on the F1 calender, it's a historic F1 track that even though has been rearranged a bit in the past decades since it's last F1 GP, and is going to get some alteration before the GP next season, it's not 'purpose-built' and thus has it's own, existing, character.

Though i hugely favour Zandvoort, Assen would have been interesting too. People complain or argue that it would not fit F1 for some reason, but i think those people miss out on the point that that's exactly why it would fit F1, because it's different, because it requires skill.

I think Laguna Seca for example in it's current outfit would not get a FIA-licensed approvel for F1. Which i think is a shame because i think Laguna Seca would be a fantastic and exciting track for Formula 1.

Hockenheim imho has never been the same since they destroyed it's original fantastic layout and replaced it with something boring. The entire 'soul' of the track has been destroyed.

Tracks need to be exciting, daring, and somewhat dangerous. It doesn't need to be stupid, offcourse.
But let's take Brazil for example, Sao Paulo. That old pitlane entry divider is bonkers if you think about it,
but it is magnificient, daring, and you need to be balls to the walls driver to dare and make a move close to it.
How many terminal accidents or permanently handicapped accidents happened there? i can't even remember a single one to be honest.

anyway, i'm willing to give this track a chance, so i'm gonna wait and see. But many exciting tracks have been sacrificed for cr*p.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Pyrone89

Looks like a boring track made to favor those with superior PU.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

roon

Renault reportedly bought the rights to name one part of the track 'Pho corner.'

PlatinumZealot

Did you guys see the latest update to this track?

I like it. though it doesnt get any of the hype this is better than Zandvoort if you ask me.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

kebab

It seems like none of the members who posted negative comments have actually seen the latest layout of this track, especially the 3rd sectors with the new turn 22 and 23.

I have run the simulation of the new layout and I can say that turn 1 is very tricky to get right as you have to take into account the following turns. Can easily get caught in turn 3-4 if you are greedy. The sequence of turns from 13 to 22 will require compromise in setup given that the long straights this track has.

The pit entry and exit are interesting to as current design make it going thru the pitlane is actually faster that on track depending where the end of pitlane line is.

I bet that the pitlane exit will stay as it is per the design now. It could be redesigned to make it closer to turn 1 and the exit line would be just after turn 1.

Overall, I would say this is an interesting street track with unique layout. No boring 90 degree turns, has a sequence of fast corners. Some heavy braking points.

I really look forward to it

kebab