2019 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
izzy

Re: 2019 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

NL_Fer wrote:
24 Jul 2019, 17:56
Costa seems a little underrated. His 2005 Ferrari was worthless because of the tyres and in 2009 Ferrari put their attention on KERS instead of a double diffuser. But the all the other Ferrari’s were competitive cars.

Mercedes AMG is a development machine, but maybe poaching Costa can turn things around.
Aldo was the perfect example of Ferrari team vs Mercedes team wasn't he. Same guy, different role, different environment. Ferrari did the Peter Principle thing of keeping promoting him until he wasn't doing it right. Then they blamed him instead of themselves.

He's a sweet guy, I think, a hands-on engineering kind of guy not a TP. So he got kicked out, went to Mercedes where they understood him and didn't load him with targets and blame and he was a star. So now I hope Mattia has learned this lesson and Aldo can still be a star, but back at Ferrari, with his family and the sunshine.

Morteza

MtthsMlw wrote:
27 Jul 2019, 17:16
Tweet got deleted but Ferrari could change MGUK, ES and CE for Vettel since he's starting P20 anyways.
Would be a wise thing to do, but it is Ferrari we're talking about so I'm not 100% sure if they seize this opportunity :? Can they change the gearbox too? I don't know about the rules, sorry.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

MtthsMlw

Morteza wrote:
27 Jul 2019, 17:29
MtthsMlw wrote:
27 Jul 2019, 17:16
Tweet got deleted but Ferrari could change MGUK, ES and CE for Vettel since he's starting P20 anyways.
Would be a wise thing to do, but it is Ferrari we're talking about so I'm not 100% sure if they seize this opportunity :? Can they change the gearbox too? I don't know about the rules, sorry.
Sure, the current one has completed 6 events so a new one would mean +5 places. As long as all is the same spec he would start from the grid if I'm not mistaken.

adrianjordan

Might even be worth starting from the pit lane and avoiding any first corner mayhem.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Jozsusz

izzy wrote:
27 Jul 2019, 17:27
NL_Fer wrote:
24 Jul 2019, 17:56
Costa seems a little underrated. His 2005 Ferrari was worthless because of the tyres and in 2009 Ferrari put their attention on KERS instead of a double diffuser. But the all the other Ferrari’s were competitive cars.

Mercedes AMG is a development machine, but maybe poaching Costa can turn things around.
Aldo was the perfect example of Ferrari team vs Mercedes team wasn't he. Same guy, different role, different environment. Ferrari did the Peter Principle thing of keeping promoting him until he wasn't doing it right. Then they blamed him instead of themselves.

He's a sweet guy, I think, a hands-on engineering kind of guy not a TP. So he got kicked out, went to Mercedes where they understood him and didn't load him with targets and blame and he was a star. So now I hope Mattia has learned this lesson and Aldo can still be a star, but back at Ferrari, with his family and the sunshine.
Hope Costa stays at Merc. He belongs there until Merc gets all records.

Jolle

So, coming with big hopes of finally a world championship after winter testing to probably fourth and fifth in the standing at the summer break, with four to five racewins behind the leader. That is extremely tough.

Some races the car isn't quick enough, other races the drivers make mistakes, then the strategy f-ups combined with three important breakdowns.

If this is a team in the works, learning, will it be given time or will we see another few new faces after the summer break?

looking back over the past decade, Dominicale wasn't that bad after all.... (and the same could be said for Witmarsh)

Xwang

Jolle wrote:
28 Jul 2019, 01:14
So, coming with big hopes of finally a world championship after winter testing to probably fourth and fifth in the standing at the summer break, with four to five racewins behind the leader. That is extremely tough.

Some races the car isn't quick enough, other races the drivers make mistakes, then the strategy f-ups combined with three important breakdowns.

If this is a team in the works, learning, will it be given time or will we see another few new faces after the summer break?

looking back over the past decade, Dominicale wasn't that bad after all.... (and the same could be said for Witmarsh)
Domenicali was the man who agreed the ban on tests with the result for Ferrari to discover that their simulation tools were worst than the ones of other teams (and after 10 years it does not seem that F1 teams have saved money in such a way since they had to invest a lot on simulation).

Ringleheim

All of these "cost cutting" rules are always a myth. The teams will spend their money any way they can.

Outlaw engine development, boom, the teams start running three 8-hour shifts of workers in the wind tunnel 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, finding aerodynamic benefits.

Xwang

Indeed Domenicali has shot on Ferrari's feet deciding to agree to test banning (you can do that but only if you know, and it was not Ferrari's case, that you have invested in simulation and reached a situation in which you can use simulation instead of testing).

Jolle

To be fair, the first step of cost savings with limited testing and engine duration were implemented under Todt/Brawn and decisions like these are more likely falling under senior management like Montezemelo at the time. The position of team leader at Ferrari is more an operational one than political.

Internal operations looks to be a mess at Ferrari and looks like it's getting worse every year.

Of course it could be that Ferrari, repeatedly making the same mistake in putting the right people in the wrong places. Domenicale is an excellent operational guy, like Binotto is a brilliant technical leader.

Mclaren made the same mistake the past few years and are building up a team where the right people are on the right places and they immediately show signs of recovery.

tpe
tpe

So, any particular reason Ferrari didn't change Vettel's PU? He already starts at the end of the grid, if not the pit lane!

MtthsMlw

He's got new CE since he had only 1 working unit, maybe they're confident enough that he'll make it with two MGU-Ks and two ES' through the season. Last year that wasn't a problem.

Jolle

tpe wrote:
28 Jul 2019, 14:19
So, any particular reason Ferrari didn't change Vettel's PU? He already starts at the end of the grid, if not the pit lane!
He's still on his second PU out of three, so not a chance yet for a "free" PU.

Espresso

This thread is getting rusty....

Hockenheim. What a great drive from Seb. I'm happy how showed of his skills. I just love the way he bounced back.

And Charles need some anger management and learn some skills from Seb.

First of all guiding the F4 drivers (including his little brother) through his paddock/Ferrari motor home at light speed and then answering zero questions to the press.
Amazing absent of media skills. Seb would have taken his time to do this.

Second Charles seems to make the same mistake repeatedly. And this fault is enhanced by this rain race in Hockenheim.
Clutching to his "dry race conditions accustomed fastest racing line". It was so clear he couldn't/wouldn't adapt his racing line or driving style. Hopefully he get's his wake up call and improve from here on.

To end Charles..what a bloody remark to first (seemingly) take the blame. Then secondly decide to blame it on the circuit..."Whats a dragstrip doing there...if it was normal asfalt I could have got back on track."

Wake up Charles...If you take the blame 100%....don't find any stupid excuse.
off-track=off-track, no other excuse. Next year in Zandvoort......no asfalt, you can blame the FIA and the Italian track architects for that....
Do you feel the need to post, comment or criticize in this forum?
Please substantiate (why, how, what) your reply!
This is no twitter or chatbox but a forum.

Stay friendly and keep away bashing, trolling & baiting from our wonderful technical forum. --> Forum Guide

Jambier

Espresso wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 10:00
This thread is getting rusty....

Hockenheim. What a great drive from Seb. I'm happy how showed of his skills. I just love the way he bounced back.
I haven't see the same race :D

VET was slow and doing nothing all the race... then good pit strategy from Ferrari (for once!) and it use the very fast Ferrari on dry track to get a result.

Also I'm wondering if Ferrari had setup the car in full dry ? What a difference of pace between wet and dry for them