2009 design concepts

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Ogami musashi

Re: 2009 design concepts

Buy this month RCE issue.

You have pictures of Wind tunnel OWG final configuration cars (based on F2004).
This shows the total package.

wesley123

Ogami musashi wrote:Buy this month RCE issue.

You have pictures of Wind tunnel OWG final configuration cars (based on F2004).
This shows the total package.
I never heard of it or saw it, dont know if you can buy it in holland
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Ogami musashi

Race Car Engineering can be bougth in online format at www.zinio.com.

about 5 Euros per issue.

See, Auto and bikes item, or use the search function.

If you want to see for free in small format one of the pictures, you can go to www.racecar-engineering.com and see in the "news" item the feature on F1 racing future, you'll see one of the pictures of the 2009 specs F2004.

rjsa

wesley123 wrote:
Ayrton Senna wrote:I like this design 2009 cars ! it will be same time slick tyres very excitin'
Those cars look ugly i think, just 2008 cars without any t-wings and really weird rear wings.

P.S. Would anyone mind to make a quick drawing to show whare bodywork is and isnt allowed?
Roll back this thread, you will find a bunch.

ESPImperium

Personally i would have liked to have seen this years cars with all the aero droppladangers striped off them, no t wings ETC...

But with one big diffrence, id have kept the front wing the same, allowed bridge wings ETC...

I think that would make the cars much nicer looking, and much more in proportion.

The rear wing i would have made smaller, yes, but not as narrow as the one Williams has tested and not as tall either. Maybes somewhere between the current wing ang the Wiliams wing would be ideal looking.

That would be the ideal looking F1 car imo.

wesley123

rjsa wrote:
wesley123 wrote:
Ayrton Senna wrote:I like this design 2009 cars ! it will be same time slick tyres very excitin'
Those cars look ugly i think, just 2008 cars without any t-wings and really weird rear wings.

P.S. Would anyone mind to make a quick drawing to show whare bodywork is and isnt allowed?
Roll back this thread, you will find a bunch.
Thanks!

ISLAMATRON

Jersey Tom wrote:McLaren's new design...

Well we can dream.
I dont think that car would beat the laptimes set by a 2008 spec McLaren around Barcelona, what does everyone else think?

ISLAMATRON

ESPImperium wrote:Personally i would have liked to have seen this years cars with all the aero droppladangers striped off them, no t wings ETC...

But with one big diffrence, id have kept the front wing the same, allowed bridge wings ETC...

I think that would make the cars much nicer looking, and much more in proportion.

The rear wing i would have made smaller, yes, but not as narrow as the one Williams has tested and not as tall either. Maybes somewhere between the current wing ang the Wiliams wing would be ideal looking.

That would be the ideal looking F1 car imo.
Its not about how they look, or how well you think they look, the rules are trying to make them easier to drive in close quaters, better racing in wheel to wheel conditions. This is the main reason they are bringing back the slicks, much less squirming under load from the grooves. And hopefully the new aero rules will allow a car that is a second a lap faster than the car in front an oppurtunity to pass, not just stay behind and save fuel waiting for the next pit stop.

I welcome a better show, a back & forth battle between 2 equal cars for the entire race would be entertaining, no matter where on the grid they will be.

wesley123

I dont think the show will be better, the first races will be more xciting but after all it dont make difference, same like this year.

ISLAMATRON

wesley123 wrote:I dont think the show will be better, the first races will be more xciting but after all it dont make difference, same like this year.

You didnt enjoy that 4 wheel drift mASSA HAd IN cHINA? Without the SECU & traction control ban that would not have been possible. I think those 2 moves have been excellent moves in the regs. I love seeing the cars more in the hands of the drivers and less into electronics. even though I love technology

Scotracer

ISLAMATRON wrote:
I dont think that car would beat the laptimes set by a 2008 spec McLaren around Barcelona, what does everyone else think?
No chance. A 2008 car is sevaral seconds a lap faster than a 1992 (peak of that generation) car and even more faster around a circuit than a Turbo.
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

Ogami musashi

Actually in 1991, the cars were faster (than in 1992) and in qualifying only 2 seconds slower than now average.

Of course if you take it to 2004 comparison, then it's more like 5 seconds off.

wesley123

ISLAMATRON wrote:
wesley123 wrote:I dont think the show will be better, the first races will be more xciting but after all it dont make difference, same like this year.

You didnt enjoy that 4 wheel drift mASSA HAd IN cHINA? Without the SECU & traction control ban that would not have been possible. I think those 2 moves have been excellent moves in the regs. I love seeing the cars more in the hands of the drivers and less into electronics. even though I love technology
Well no, i think its only stupid if you still have such moments when you allready drove like 20000KM without traction control

Scotracer

Ogami musashi wrote:Actually in 1991, the cars were faster (than in 1992) and in qualifying only 2 seconds slower than now average.

Of course if you take it to 2004 comparison, then it's more like 5 seconds off.
After looking at comparative pole times, it chopped and changed in 1991 vs 1992. But yes, at Suzuka 1991 the pole time was 3 seconds faster than 1992. The 1991 pole time was 5 seconds off the 2006 Suzuka pole time.

What's the reason for 1991 being faster? That's before my time so don't know of the technical regulations.
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

casper

Grandprix.com has a very good article on the concept behind the 2009 car design change. Basically, the resdesign was planned to allow for more overtaking by taking advantage of the slipstream. This necessitates a lower front wing, clean bodywork between the two axles, narrower and higher rear wing, similar to the 80's design. Here's the link on the story. http://www.grandprix.com/ft/ft20831.html.