2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

McG wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 16:47
dr_cooke wrote:Sainz is turning into a deffensive master lately. Luckily We have the onboards and I have Gasly's on, else Sainz is not anywhere near to being broadcast
Agreed, one of the best battles out there and they didn’t show it once!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
They hardly showed McLaren all weekend :(
It’s ridiculous... Gasly was in DRS distance for 90% of the second stint and they didn’t showed it once? There was obviously some good fights elsewhere, but not once?

Hopefully the team will continue to improve and “force” the broadcasters to show what they are doing ;)

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Big Tea wrote:I have been thinking Lando was the better driver, but I am beginning to consider Sainz the better racer. Yes I know he has had the rub of the green, but he has always made sure he was in a position to take advantage of it. These boys are a good team.

Things are looking good
Carlos is a great racer... But Lando has had his fair share of bad luck in his Rookie season (we tend to forget that he is after all just a rookie)... Lando was unlucky today with the Pitstop, he could have finished P6 if not.

Morteza

Big Tea wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 17:20
I have been thinking Lando was the better driver, but I am beginning to consider Sainz the better racer. Yes I know he has had the rub of the green, but he has always made sure he was in a position to take advantage of it. These boys are a good team.

Things are looking good
Yup! Both drivers are doing really well for the team. As for Sainz I always felt he was underrated specifically being overshadowed by Verstappen's hype when they came to F1 as teammates. I felt horrible when Renault dropped him for Ricciardo, but really happy to see both him and McLaren doing so well. McLaren's car this year is a very pleasant surprise, while Renault on the other hand :roll: It was a blessing in disguise for him joining McLaren instead of staying with Renault.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

diffuser

clearly, it's working out well for the best of the rest.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 17:34
Big Tea wrote:I have been thinking Lando was the better driver, but I am beginning to consider Sainz the better racer. Yes I know he has had the rub of the green, but he has always made sure he was in a position to take advantage of it. These boys are a good team.

Things are looking good
Carlos is a great racer... But Lando has had his fair share of bad luck in his Rookie season (we tend to forget that he is after all just a rookie)... Lando was unlucky today with the Pitstop, he could have finished P6 if not.

He has, and you'd expect a better racer of Sainz, he is much more experienced. Lando seems to have the measure of him in Qualy already and I expect him to continue to develop his F1 racecraft.

Sainz was good today, despite the RBs superior pace Gasly could not get by. Partly down to Sainz's ability and to Gasly's lack of racecraft, he seems to struggle to pass people way more than he should.

A shame for Lando, he could have been a place further forward but it wasn't to be.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

mwillems

McG wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 17:22
RonDennis wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 17:14
Ground Effect wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 17:03
It should be 2020 full on now, or at least to a large extent. Zak needs to pepper BAT and Coca Cola, they need to splash the cash 💴 💵.... With a bigger budget, we could make up more ground faster.
More sponsor money doesn’t automatically mean a higher budget. It could also result in less money from the shareholders.
Where do you pull this crap from.
More sponsor money will definitely mean a bigger budget. If anything, the shareholders will increase the budget.
It has been spoken openly as far as I remember, that the owners were supplementing the budget after the Honda split, from their own pockets and from sale of Assets, such as historic race cars. So it is entirely possible that any extra sponsorship may at first cover this amount. Now whether this was already resolved by the Latifi share purchase, or if the owners have already ceased payments, is another matter. But to say it is crap with no merit is not accurate at all, it's an entirely valid possibility.

Maplesoup
Maplesoup

mwillems wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 18:10
McG wrote:
RonDennis wrote:

More sponsor money doesn’t automatically mean a higher budget. It could also result in less money from the shareholders.
More sponsor money will definitely mean a bigger budget. If anything, the shareholders will increase the budget.
It has been spoken openly as far as I remember, that the owners were supplementing the budget after the Honda split, from their own pockets and from sale of Assets, such as historic race cars. So it is entirely possible that any extra sponsorship may at first cover this amount. Now whether this was already resolved by the Latifi share purchase, or if the owners have already ceased payments, is another matter. But to say it is crap with no merit is not accurate at all, it's an entirely valid possibility.
This is how red bull and Merc run there budgets as well. They have a target budget if they don't raise enough parent company steps up.

bauc

Another good weekend for us, P5 & P9 is a good way to warp up the 1st part of the season , so overall I'm pleased with the performance so far. NOR was again unlucky today, as the pit error cost him 2 places overall. However, 39 points clear of the rest is a result I did not believed can be done by the team this year and lets hope it stays like that till the end. Mclaren need's this 4th place in the WCC
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

diffuser

Maplesoup wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 18:13
mwillems wrote:
McG wrote:

This is how red bull and Merc run there budgets as well. They have a target budget if they don't raise enough parent company steps up.
Well RB just writes off the money they pour into RBR as advertising budget. Not sure McLaren can do the same.

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 18:57
Maplesoup wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Well RB just writes off the money they pour into RBR as advertising budget. Not sure McLaren can do the same.
Yeah, it's entirely possible that money would need to/have been repaid.

RonDennis
RonDennis

McG wrote:
RonDennis wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 17:03
It should be 2020 full on now, or at least to a large extent. Zak needs to pepper BAT and Coca Cola, they need to splash the cash 💴 💵.... With a bigger budget, we could make up more ground faster.
That's because you don't know much how about how this world operates.
Last edited by RonDennis on 05 Aug 2019, 00:25, edited 1 time in total.

Maplesoup
Maplesoup

diffuser wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 18:57
Maplesoup wrote:
mwillems wrote:

I think F1 is a better advertisement for a can manufacturer than an energy drinks company. So maybe the automotive marketing budget should feed into the F1 team

Darth-Piekus

Let's say next year or 2021 the car is a title contender. Would Fernando Alonso be as good as he was if he comes back considering that age might play a role?

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Darth-Piekus wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 21:39
Let's say next year or 2021 the car is a title contender. Would Fernando Alonso be as good as he was if he comes back considering that age might play a role?
By 2021 Carlos and Lando would probably have progressed massively, so don't know if Fernando would still be in the frame. But that said, Kimi isn't looking too shabby, turns 40 in October.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Darth-Piekus

Kimi wound do wonders in a Red Bull or a Mercedes. I also wouldn't say no if he came back to Mclaren to finish his carreer.