General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Pyrone89

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

bigblue wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 18:57
Got to be pleased with reliability, even allowing for swapping some engines out early for development purposes. Don't forget where they came from, reliability is now assumed, which is a big change. Surely at some point one will go kaboom due to pushing the limits and the rate of development, but not so far !
This engine has now done 4.5 races (I count the wet race as half a race due to the lower engine stress). So still 2.5 races to go before they hit their target of 7 races. And next year it has to be 8 races as latest info is 22 races and no extra engines (I think Merc is against it)
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

ispano6

Max's mid-season review :)

Espresso

GhostF1 wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 05:06
https://streamable.com/99zjw

Max, Lewis & Valtteri on Renault's 1000hp claim .

I know it's main topic is about the Renault but if I post it in the Renault thread, considering how angsty it can get, I think people will see it as a flame.. besides they asked for comparison to Honda and Merc.
Yeah that was a funny respons.

In short. Renault can reach the 1000 HP in perfect conditions for a 'peak/very short moment' whilst maintaining the 100kg fuel flow but using the 3 gram allowed margin.
And I believe so they can.

So for a peak moment they inject some extra fuel (3 gram), open the DRS (=5 bHp according to Renault), maximize electric power en combustion power...and for a split second they reach 1000bhp...on the engine.
Renault claims to operate on 950 during race and 970 during qualifying.

How that relate to torque or consistent power is not mentioned. Again Abiteboul is not lying, but you have to exactly read/listens to what he says. He's quite a political savy guy.
And the way he says it, can be interpreted the wrong way. Just like this 1000 bHp story.

Back to Honda. Guess they are challenging to be the second best engine on the grid now.
Mercedes have to top their game.
Ferrari have reverted to a 'lower downforce, higher straigh speed' configuration.

It's gonna be an exiting second half!!!

Happy holidays for all the team. Get rested and give us a great spec 5 Engine. :mrgreen:
(Yes, the spec 4 engine is finished and on the shelves as I understand)
Do you feel the need to post, comment or criticize in this forum?
Please substantiate (why, how, what) your reply!
This is no twitter or chatbox but a forum.

Stay friendly and keep away bashing, trolling & baiting from our wonderful technical forum. --> Forum Guide

Jambier

bigblue wrote:
Got to be pleased with reliability, even allowing for swapping some engines out early for development purposes. Don't forget where they came from, reliability is now assumed, which is a big change. Surely at some point one will go kaboom due to pushing the limits and the rate of development, but not so far !
Reliability is I think the biggest surprise.
From what they came from, they are now fighting to be the most reliable engine with Mercedes.
And I assume performance wise, it's quite close as well.

Maybe they still lack a bit or reliability and fuel consumption to Mercedes, but it is close.

Pyrone89

Jambier wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 14:59
bigblue wrote:
From what they came from, they are now fighting to be the most reliable engine with Mercedes.

Maybe they still lack a bit or reliability and fuel consumption to Mercedes, but it is close.
Mercedes still has a bunch more power especially in quali. In the race they also have the ability for some quali bursts. Race power Honda is getting closer but still not there. Also Merc is rumored to be able to start with way less fuel due to fuel efficiency. This could also explain their slow corner advantage as weight is a far bigger factor in slow corners (beating inertia) than at high speeds.

Watch the Bottas vs. Verstappen pole comparison for the difference on the straight (with Merc even running more df)

Snorked

amho

Pyrone89 wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 15:07
Jambier wrote:
bigblue wrote:

Mercedes still has a bunch more power especially in quali. In the race they also have the ability for some quali bursts. Race power Honda is getting closer but still not there. Also Merc is rumored to be able to start with way less fuel due to fuel efficiency. This could also explain their slow corner advantage as weight is a far bigger factor in slow corners (beating inertia) than at high speeds.

Watch the Bottas vs. Verstappen pole comparison for the difference on the straight (with Merc even running more df)
There is no Might or Power except with Allah.

Pyrone89

amho wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 18:11
Pyrone89 wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 15:07
Jambier wrote:

You quoted the post and said nothimg. Or did you mean to use the upvote system?

amho

Mercedes strong speed in low speed corners is due to their new rear suspension
Last edited by amho on 05 Aug 2019, 19:59, edited 1 time in total.

Pyrone89

amho wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 18:12
Mercedes strong speed in low speed corners is due to their new rear suspention.
You have a source for this? I know there has been talk about their front suspension, but not about the rear suspension apart drom small whispers about some rear steering capability.

amho

You have a source for this? I know there has been talk about their front suspension, but not about the rear suspension apart drom small whispers about some rear steering capability.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14392 ... -explained

Pyrone89

amho wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 19:59

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14392 ... -explained
Thx, and sorry for the off-topic guys

Nova

JordanMugen wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 18:46
Pyrone89 wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 18:42
So, back to F1.
Sorry. :oops:
Pyrone89 wrote:
Demoralized by the loss of P1
Surely not!

Another podium is still a very welcome result and huge improvement on seasons past!

It would be madness if Honda would quit just as the unit becomes competitive -- especially with power unit rules to stay the same for forseeable future.
Big Tea wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 18:45
So I bought a Hyundai.
:( :o

[I mean Hyundai are alright, they are making great products with strong German influence in design and engineering.]

Quitting now would be like selling your operation to a competitor that ended up winning the championship at the next try. Honda would never do that!

Pyrone89

Nova wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 20:07
JordanMugen wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 18:46
Pyrone89 wrote:
So, back to F1.
Sorry. :oops:
Pyrone89 wrote:
Demoralized by the loss of P1
Surely not!

Another podium is still a very welcome result and huge improvement on seasons past!

It would be madness if Honda would quit just as the unit becomes competitive -- especially with power unit rules to stay the same for forseeable future.
Big Tea wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 18:45
So I bought a Hyundai.
:( :o

[I mean Hyundai are alright, they are making great products with strong German influence in design and engineering.]

Quitting now would be like selling your operation to a competitor that ended up winning the championship at the next try. Honda would never do that!
Yeah they had a bit time last time the stopped with F1 watching the tv the year after didnt they

ispano6

A great interview with one of the behind the scenes Honda staff, Ms. Mari.

https://f1-gate.com/honda/f1_51202.html