Williams FW42

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Brake Horse Power

Re: Williams FW42

It looks very bulke compared to the RB15 for example. Also a lot more cooling around the wheel hub for example + airflow outwards at RB

humble sabot

(Hungaroring)
The delta from Rus to Kub was over a second in quali, do we know if there was a spec difference between their cars?
It used to be they averaged about .5 apart in pace, but Kub was .8 behind the next slowest for this one and 1.01 behind George. That can't be all driver, since there are some pretty decent drivers in between them.
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

netoperek

humble sabot wrote:
03 Aug 2019, 18:58
(Hungaroring)
The delta from Rus to Kub was over a second in quali, do we know if there was a spec difference between their cars?
It used to be they averaged about .5 apart in pace, but Kub was .8 behind the next slowest for this one and 1.01 behind George. That can't be all driver, since there are some pretty decent drivers in between them.
Yeah, it looks like confidence boosting session for George after last race's result. For sure I know only of new gearbox for George. Robert said that he already was hitting the grip limits and there was not much room left for improvement and he usually is very critical of himself. Williams would of course deny, as usual, even if George got a repainted Mercedes. Robert can't speak of car differences anymore and also journalists can't ask those kind of questions. If any of Polish fans captured any good photos from Q session or gather some more intel, I'll let You know.

Maritimer

Didnt Russell get all the upgrades while Kubica didnt?

tomazy

Maritimer wrote:
03 Aug 2019, 21:17
No

piast9

Maritimer wrote:
03 Aug 2019, 21:17
As far as I know they both had Germany spec cars on Saturday. In the Polish interview Kubica said that since they were last anyway they tried something radical during the second Q1 run to check if it works, despite his opinion against it. I don't know what that would be. Tyre pressure or specific warm-up lap procedure probably, since they can't change the car much in parc-fermé.

Francesc

According to Amus if I'm not mistaken Williams dreamt of a 8 tenths improvement with the updates but they have found 25 points of downforce. Does anyone know how much laptime is that?

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... garn-2019/

piast9

Apparently Craig Scarborough once said that 60 points of downforce is worth about 1 second per lap.

godlameroso

Francesc wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 10:48
According to Amus if I'm not mistaken Williams dreamt of a 8 tenths improvement with the updates but they have found 25 points of downforce. Does anyone know how much laptime is that?

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... garn-2019/
About .3 to .4 still an impressive gain for what amounts to a barge board revision.
Saishū kōnā

netoperek

humble sabot wrote:
03 Aug 2019, 18:58
(Hungaroring)
From what I've read from fans at the track, noise from Robert's car is significantly lower than from Mercs and Georges car. They said Mercs has been the loudest whole weekend, with George's Williams very similar. Both Ferrari's and Robert's Williams has been the most silent cars. Difference is said to be susbstancial and very easily noticable from the stands.

tomazy

Sound is lost energy, so quieter engine at the same fuel flow would mean more power to the wheels.

bill shoe

tomazy wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 20:58
Sound is lost energy, so quieter engine at the same fuel flow would mean more power to the wheels.
The amount of energy lost to sound is tiny tiny compared to the energy lost to heat or the energy "lost" to power. The sound component is so tiny that it has no significant value as a predictor of power. It's like looking at the water level in you tub at home, and then using that to predict the level of the ocean.

SmallSoldier

It seems that Kubica wasn’t running the full upgrade package:

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opin ... um=ios_app

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tomazy

This is bed reporting, all the picture evidence sugest that Robert had all new bits on the car. He went out in FP1 with Silverstone spec car for the first run (George did this in germany for the entire FP1), for the second run he had the new rear wing (George did did for FP2 in germany). For FP2, Roberd had new bardge boards and new floor installed on the car just like George. There was no other new bits on Russell car. The only difirance with the cars was a modified front susspension on that George is running for a while now. Kubica did try it also, but for some reasons is not using it, but this susspension was first seen in Silverstone, so there is no way they dont have 2 sets of it, so it is probably that Kubica just preferes the old setup. There were also no repirts from the team or the drivers that the cars were difirent specs. Kubica did say that he hed to be carefoul to not damage new parts, becouse they are short on spares, and this is probably where this notion of not having enough new bits, so Robert didnt have them came out from.

KiLLu12258

i think its not right way to search excuses for kubica. Russell is outperforming him since the beginning and this guy is getting better with every race.
I think on some tracks the disadvantage of kubica will cost him more on other tracks a bit less, but at all russell is just the better driver at the moment.

at all the kubica comeback was just a bad decision.