Scuderia Ferrari SF90

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Fer.Fan

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF90

bosyber wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 19:11
Xwang wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 19:03
I have a question:
when they say that they do not have enough downforce they mean that the car does not have the level of downforce that they designed or that the car has the designed level of downforce but with hindsight they have discovered that they needed to design a car with more downforce?
From all we have seen and heard, it is the latter: they have the amount of df they designed for, but, seemingly underestimated the amount of downforce needed for the tyres/created by their competitors' cars. And they seem to have a (not by design, presumably, since they were surprised by that in Australia) lack of slow-corner pace.

They seemingly felt that with the change in the front wing, and draggier rear wing, going more efficient
would be the winning design. But, the tyres (w lower blanket temp at the rear) profit from more downforce to get them up to temperature, which means that the Ferrari design fundamentally conflicts with them when it isn't very hot, or a track that heats them well.
I agree, SF-90, the koncept of the car is wrong. This seasong is over, Ferrari should fokus on 2020.
:)

Ashwinv16

Fer.Fan wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 14:42
bosyber wrote:
Xwang wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 19:03
I have a question:
when they say that they do not have enough downforce they mean that the car does not have the level of downforce that they designed or that the car has the designed level of downforce but with hindsight they have discovered that they needed to design a car with more downforce?
From all we have seen and heard, it is the latter: they have the amount of df they designed for, but, seemingly underestimated the amount of downforce needed for the tyres/created by their competitors' cars. And they seem to have a (not by design, presumably, since they were surprised by that in Australia) lack of slow-corner pace.

They seemingly felt that with the change in the front wing, and draggier rear wing, going more efficient
would be the winning design. But, the tyres (w lower blanket temp at the rear) profit from more downforce to get them up to temperature, which means that the Ferrari design fundamentally conflicts with them when it isn't very hot, or a track that heats them well.
I agree, SF-90, the koncept of the car is wrong. This seasong is over, Ferrari should fokus on 2020.
Belgium, Italy, Russia, Japan, Brasil, Usa, Mexico, Abu Dhabi. I am sorry after their pace in Hockenhiem, these are the tracks that suits Ferrari.
Halo not as bad as we thought

digitalrurouni

Ashwinv16 wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 14:57
Fer.Fan wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 14:42
bosyber wrote:

Belgium, Italy, Russia, Japan, Brasil, Usa, Mexico, Abu Dhabi. I am sorry after their pace in Hockenhiem, these are the tracks that suits Ferrari.
Definitely not Mexico. That's Red Bull territory. Definitely not Brasil either. Definitely not. USA either or Abu Dhabi or Russia. I think Italy is the best shot followed by Spa. Should be fascinating regardless.

Xwang

I hope they use the remainder of the season to fully understood what has gone bad in the design and development in order to avoid to be in the same situation next year when the rules will be the same (and maybe the tyre will be changed again).
Moreover I wonder why in F1 teams do not develop high downforce and high efficiency packages, meaning that in F1 a high efficient car will be pretty in the same range of the efficiency vs downforce tradeoff for all the season and the same happens to high downforce cars. In wec they have two different aero packages that seems to me more different than F1 one. Once upon a time in F1 teams used different wheel bases for city tracks for example.

santos

digitalrurouni wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 15:41

Definitely not Mexico. That's Red Bull territory. Definitely not Brasil either. Definitely not. USA either or Abu Dhabi or Russia. I think Italy is the best shot followed by Spa. Should be fascinating regardless.
I wouldn't put them out on Abu Dhabi and Mexico. Brasil and Japan i think they will struggle.

Ringleheim

Remember when the FIA decided it was time to clean up the aero bits all over the cars and make the cars much more clean? That was supposed to be the way forward.

Now have a look at the Ferrari in that barge board/boomerang bit area! It's a bloody nightmare of add-ons and tweaks. I think it's worse than 2008!

The more things change in F1, the more they always stay the same.

The one constant is drivers saying "It's hard to pass."

:lol:

digitalrurouni

Definitely. I find the 2008 cars way more pleasing to look at.

TheFluffy

santos wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 17:51
digitalrurouni wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 15:41

I wouldn't put them out on Abu Dhabi and Mexico. Brasil and Japan i think they will struggle.
Absolutely no way for Mexico, because of the altitude they need maximum downforce and the nature of the circuit in sector 2 and 3, they need a lot of downforce which they don't have. Also because of the altitude engines most possibly cannot run on full power so that levels playing field engine wise. Look at the past two years, Max won in dominant fashion so its not about horsepower just because of the first straight. Abu Dhabi possibly, but sector 1 and 3 a lot of stop start corners so traction and downforce are needed which Ferrari is weak at.

If they do not win Monza in an absolute dominant fashion (like both cars at least 30 seconds up the road) it really shows how much they failed in this year's concept.

GPR-A

digitalrurouni wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 05:31
200% true. Small, nimble and fast.

roon

Ringleheim wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 19:41
The one constant is drivers saying "It's hard to pass." :lol:
Obligatory:

Nonserviam85

GPR -A wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 06:35
digitalrurouni wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 05:31
200% true. Small, nimble and fast.
These were the 2009 cars.

digitalrurouni

KiLLu12258 wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 13:37
2009 cars were terrible.

and 2008 guys.. you really liked that frontwing? lol

you should realize that this is like 10 years ago, 10 years of develepmont.if they didnt change the rules no one knows how that cars would look nowadays.
Those technical side of the cars is really important-. thats f1 for me, this board even exist mostly for those things.
Not a HUGE fan of the gaping front wing but still overall the cars silhouettes and the aero details and so on I definitely liked better. They looked incredible.

zibby43

Ferrari planning on introducing Spec 3 PU at Spa.

Could bring up to 20 additional HP.

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferra ... u/4511346/

Translated the most important points in the article:

"[The Spec 3 PU will deliver an] important leap in performance in conjunction with a newly formulated fuel that has been developed by Shell . . .

. . . The [Spec 3] PU of the Prancing Horse should deliver about about twenty more horses as a result of improved combustion management. The new specification is better at utilizing the bi-metallic material in the pistons that has allowed the team to increase the pressure in the chamber."

digitalrurouni

zibby43 wrote:
10 Aug 2019, 21:17
Ferrari planning on introducing Spec 3 PU at Spa.

Could bring up to 20 additional HP.

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferra ... u/4511346/

Translated the most important points in the article:

"[The Spec 3 PU will deliver an] important leap in performance in conjunction with a newly formulated fuel that has been developed by Shell . . .

. . . The [Spec 3] PU of the Prancing Horse should deliver about about twenty more horses as a result of improved combustion management. The new specification is better at utilizing the bi-metallic material in the pistons that has allowed the team to increase the pressure in the chamber."
Awesome. Can't wait for Spa. I expect Ferrari to be back on the game completely. Ugh this summer break needs to end quicker!

SiLo

I expect Ferrari poles but I'm not sure about race wins. Their race pace has been very poor compared to Mercedes and Red Bull.
Felipe Baby!