2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Anyone can get a podium based on luck... Getting one on merit, that would be something to celebrate.

But, we are still a little far to make that a reality, in order to do so you would need to beat one Ferrari and potentially one Mercedes and that’s a very tall order given the car’s pace and very unlikely that the team will find enough pace in the next couple of months to make that happen.

The only real chance at one that I see in the short term will come if Red Bull decides to take penalties simultaneously for Max and Pierre (which I doubt they will)... But it would be the only chance to start at least P5-P6 and try to get into P3.

The lack of a podium this season can’t take away from the progress made by the team so far... At the beginning of the season there were at least 3 tracks where the team was expected to really suffer/underperform... So far they have scored very well in 2 out of those 3 (Monaco and Hungary)... With Spa and Monza on the list of tracks where they were expected to do well, it will be interesting to see if they close that gap a little more to the front.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Xero

https://twitter.com/ZBrownCEO/status/11 ... 7412261898

Could you have imagined McLaren doing anything like this several years ago? The atmosphere within the team has completely flipped. It's no surprise the progress is starting to show now the team are motivated, happy, and working closely together. Kudos to Zak!

Big Tea

I bet that chocolate frog in his pocket is squashed flat and runny
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

_cerber1

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Xero wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 16:20

Could you have imagined McLaren doing anything like this several years ago? The atmosphere within the team has completely flipped. It's no surprise the progress is starting to show now the team are motivated, happy, and working closely together. Kudos to Zak!
Things really looking good for the team, great first half of the season, exceeding general expectations. So many positives, Zak Brown has even gotten verified on Twitter :lol:
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Capharol
Capharol

Xero wrote:

let me think when to good mood started ..... 8) :wink:

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Capharol wrote:
Xero wrote:

let me think when to good mood started ..... 8) :wink:
When the car met expectations and testing showed that correlation was good ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

SmallSoldier wrote:
07 Aug 2019, 00:10
When the car met expectations and testing showed that correlation was good ;)
Correlation is really unsung hero of the development. Teams that have good correlation can develop their car without testing and be able to improve their car. If your correlation is bad, you are effectively developing blind and with so little testing time in the season, your lead times become huge.

I'd say first priority of any team is solving any kind of correlation issue. I feel that McLaren made the decision to build a new wind tunnel for exactly this reason. By having a new, state of the art wind tunnel, they can get to the bottom of any kind of correlation issue and improve development speed for the car.

_cerber1

“We will still bring parts also after the summer break, updates. So well done also to the aero department at home to pull off all these updates. It looks good obviously now for the fight for [fourth] in the constructors championship in the second half.”

McLaren raced its aerodynamic upgrades in Hungary despite rain on Friday limiting their opportunity to test them, Seidl added.

“We had a new rear wing and some additional small bits which worked out of the box because we had really limited running on Friday. So there wasn’t really time to go through the normal test programme. [It’s] very encouraging.”

https://www.racefans.net/2019/08/06/mcl ... est-track/

Marc.W

Genuine question: How could a team get bad correlation? If McLaren have been using the same wind tunnel for years how does the correlation go from good to bad?

Capharol
Capharol

Marc.W wrote:
07 Aug 2019, 11:35
Genuine question: How could a team get bad correlation? If McLaren have been using the same wind tunnel for years how does the correlation go from good to bad?
So if you Develop an update for your car you are going to design it, test it in a simulation. if these numbers are good you are going to build a model a test it in a windtunnel. Again you look at the predicted performance and if the expected gain from simulation and wind tunnel match then you produce the part. If now these expectations are not met on track, you have a correlation problem. so apparently something in your model does not map real life behaviour really well. The correlation between your simulation / model and real life is off, so you have to improve your simulation / model

maybe someone else can give a better explanation then me.... but this is how i only can explain it in normal language

Nonserviam85
Nonserviam85

Marc.W wrote:
Even the best aero tunnel/CFD package cannot simulate the full transients effects happening on the track.

diffuser

Nonserviam85 wrote:
07 Aug 2019, 12:08
Marc.W wrote:
Even the best aero tunnel/CFD package cannot simulate the full transients effects happening on the track.
It was not my understanding that their issue last year was a correlation issue.

They just didn't pickup in CDF and the wind tunnel the side pods were too close to the front tires.

bauc

Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

bauc

Capharol wrote:
07 Aug 2019, 12:04
Marc.W wrote:
So if you Develop an update for your car you are going to design it, test it in a simulation. if these numbers are good you are going to build a model a test it in a windtunnel. Again you look at the predicted performance and if the expected gain from simulation and wind tunnel match then you produce the part. If now these expectations are not met on track, you have a correlation problem. so apparently something in your model does not map real life behaviour really well. The correlation between your simulation / model and real life is off, so you have to improve your simulation / model

maybe someone else can give a better explanation then me.... but this is how i only can explain it in normal language
Also I think there can be problem with scale and how it reflects the model being tested. I've heard that Mclaren moved away from their own WT to Toyota's at the moment when F1 cars got 1/3rd larger/longer due to the new regulations and then their wind tunnel was not the best place to test a scale mode in 65% of the real size car.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg