2019 Aerodynamic Changes & Solutions

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
JordanMugen

Re: 2019 Aerodynamic Changes & Solutions

Just_a_fan wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 01:27
I wonder whether you could make a halo that worked as well, using other materials and yet was lighter.

Halo is a control part supplied by FIA. It has to be on the car as supplied (with optional custom fairing). I don't see any development avenues there.

Just_a_fan

JordanMugen wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 18:43

Halo is a control part supplied by FIA. It has to be on the car as supplied (with optional custom fairing). I don't see any development avenues there.
Yes, I know. I was responding to another member's idea about "cheating" by making a lightweight, but externally identical, halo.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

roon

godlameroso, i figured you might want to see these:

godlameroso

To what extent can the air coming through the side pods and out the back + exhaust heat can be channeled and encouraged to help the upwash on the vortecies coming off the diffuser?

As roon has demonstrated, the openings in the rear, crash structure, diffuser, and exhaust all contribute to the vortecies being created by the floor.

Mercedes is clearly aiming the airflow through the sidepods, as is Ferrari and Red Bull. Other teams take a more spray and pray approach.
Saishū kōnā

roon

As you eluded to in the RB15 thread, the strategic aim of the WG pipes might be affecting the velocity and pressure of vortexes forming at and aft of the rear of the car. I think of the exhaust blown diffusers. They were situated directly at the point of vortex formation, but these wastegates outlets are not, by decree. Presumably this reduced proximity would reduce effectiveness, however mass flow and velocity from the WG pipes are potentially much greater than what the NA V8 exhausts could achieve.

I'm curious to figure out if the turbine can be used to create significant exhaust backpressure. If it can impede flow enough via rotational velocity then perhaps all exhaust flow can be routed through the wastegate pipes.

If anyone knows approximate intake flow rates and exhaust pressure values we could an idea of WG flow properties. Their diameters are prescribed within a range.

henry

roon wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 21:57
As you eluded to in the RB15 thread, the strategic aim of the WG pipes might be affecting the velocity and pressure of vortexes forming at and aft of the rear of the car. I think of the exhaust blown diffusers. They were situated directly at the point of vortex formation, but these wastegates outlets are not, by decree. Presumably this reduced proximity would reduce effectiveness, however mass flow and velocity from the WG pipes are potentially much greater than what the NA V8 exhausts could achieve.

I'm curious to figure out if the turbine can be used to create significant exhaust backpressure. If it can impede flow enough via rotational velocity then perhaps all exhaust flow can be routed through the wastegate pipes.

If anyone knows approximate intake flow rates and exhaust pressure values we could an idea of WG flow properties. Their diameters are prescribed within a range.
I think exhaust mass flows are around 0.5kg/sec and 0.7kg/sec for V8 and turbo respectively.

I don’t know how the flow is split between main and wastegate pipes.

I took:
Air 2.4 litre at 18000 rpm, VE 1.2, AFR 13:1.
Fuel 27.8 g/sec at AFR 22:1

Edit: the value for the V8 should be 0.6. I mistyped the density of air.
Last edited by henry on 09 Aug 2019, 10:39, edited 1 time in total.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

JordanMugen

godlameroso wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 18:24
To what extent can the air coming through the side pods and out the back + exhaust heat can be channeled and encouraged to help the upwash on the vortecies coming off the diffuser?
The air coming out of the sidepods is low momentum air that has had all the energy taken out of it, by passing through all the radiators and so on.
upwash on the vortecies coming off the diffuser?
Isn't the upwash mostly from the huge counter rotating vortex pair generated by the rear wing?

Maritimer

Looks more to me like there are recirculation bubbles either side of the crash structure, the angles wastegate pipes are an attempt to stabilize the area and move the air away where it gets swept up by the end plate vorteces.

roon

Not new, but notice the sloped spade shaped engine cover outlet of the RB15. Distinct from Ferrari, Merc, and others with dips in the same area, making a club shaped outlet.

godlameroso

[quote=JordanMugen post_id=854774
The air coming out of the sidepods is low momentum air that has had all the energy taken out of it, by passing through all the radiators and so on.
[/quote]

The air coming off the radiators is ducted and heated. For one the radiators are not very restrictive, and the outlets are tapered which increases flow velocity. The heat from the engine, radiators and shape of the body work all serve to add energy to the air. Heat is a form of energy.
Isn't the upwash mostly from the huge counter rotating vortex pair generated by the rear wing?
The floor has two huge ones as well that merge with the rear wing. Or at least should if you want a fast car.
Saishū kōnā

Just_a_fan

The Mercedes aims air from above the bodywork down towards the devices on the side of the crash structure, along with diffuser upstand that sits in the 150mm zone either side of the centreline. The RedBull seems more interested in flow going further to the sides, maybe helping with the tyre squirt gap. Different approaches perhaps because they have different approaches to rake etc.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

MtthsMlw

Interesting design, cutting drag but retaining their normal Y250 setup.
AMuS

JordanMugen

MtthsMlw wrote:
04 Sep 2019, 19:00
Interesting design, cutting drag but retaining their normal Y250 setup.
https://imgr1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/T ... 625256.jpg
AMuS
Fancy! I like that.

godlameroso

Why the fences on the deflectors for Mercedes? Why did they work for them and not Haas?
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

Red Bull should really thank Honda, not only are they getting a good power unit, they also had the winning design for the side pod end fences all along.

Mercedes isn't even close.

Granted this doesn't take the rest of the car into consideration but this area is very important. I feel that Toro Rosso was used as a Guinea pig as it sprouted a very rudimentary version sometime around Singapore.

Of course the first team to introduce this concept this year was Haas.

But they haven't gotten it to work any better than when the season started despite constantly modifying this area.
Saishū kōnā