[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2019 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
LVDH

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2019 (Grand Prix Cars)

wb92 wrote:
10 Aug 2019, 17:44
Is there any 'test case' to check if software works properly? Also where I have to place STLs for my own runs?

EDiT:
Nevermind - handled tutorials, so hopefully I can now manage it by myself.
Excellent work. What I also just told someone through email, is you can open an empty case with MFlow, it will then create the folder structure. I hope the folder names are self explanatory enough, so you can all place the files into the correct folders.

I also have some bad news. I cannot create a new MFlow version for Windows right now. So the version you have and that is available on the page, will be the one for the race.

CAEdevice

jjn9128 wrote:
10 Aug 2019, 16:09
I've decided not to compete (various reasons for that) but I have a front wing/rear wing and floor (all untested) if anyone wants the STEP files to try with their model. I think it's all legal (maybe not the diffuser strakes..) but obviously that's at your own discretion if you chose to use it.
It would be amazing having you as a competitor. Why don't you try with a couple of races?

variante

Ok, i've got to report that i'm getting weird results too (i'm using the "fast" option).

I deemed the first run "ok" because the airflow was a bit messy, so the results might have been realistic. However, now the car seems "tamed", so i can't find an explanation for the nearly zero lift that i have on the rear axle.

The rear wing and diffuser seem to work fine (numerically and visually), body and rear suspension are pretty much neutral. So the rear wheels must be the cause for such positive lift. ....but visually they don't look capable of that at all (unfortunately there is no numerical data to confirm that).

So, either the rear wheels actually generate that much lift despite not looking like that or something is being calculated wrong.

CAEdevice

variante wrote:
11 Aug 2019, 09:50
Ok, i've got to report that i'm getting weird results too (i'm using the "fast" option).

I deemed the first run "ok" because the airflow was a bit messy, so the results might have been realistic. However, now the car seems "tamed", so i can't find an explanation for the nearly zero lift that i have on the rear axle.

The rear wing and diffuser seem to work fine (numerically and visually), body and rear suspension are pretty much neutral. So the rear wheels must be the cause for such positive lift. ....but visually they don't look capable of that at all (unfortunately there is no numerical data to confirm that).

So, either the rear wheels actually generate that much lift despite not looking like that or something is being calculated wrong.
I have similar results: bad but not so bad visually, incredibly bad numerically. It looks like the floor and diffuser produce no downforce at all.

LVDH

You can send me your reports and log files. I can check if everything went OK on the CFD side.

wb92

For car submission files - can I trim mandatory elements to save some weight of STL surfaces?
MVRC - WBRacing

rjsa

After I installed blueCFD on my workstation mflow quit working. The command prompt window will briefly flash and nothing else. Any hints?

Yeah, system disk full, forget it.
Last edited by rjsa on 11 Aug 2019, 23:42, edited 1 time in total.

machin

wb92 wrote:
11 Aug 2019, 17:24
For car submission files - can I trim mandatory elements to save some weight of STL surfaces?

Do you mean; can you leave out the given parts? Yeah,I think that should be fine...

It seems that most of the discussion on here is about the CFD, so I guess that everyone has a first pass at a basic car completed?

Just in case, I have a couple of new parts:-

New side-pods, slightly better looking externally in terms of drag, but much better in terms of internal duct shaping...

...Plus a slightly revised front wing with curved end plates and now the two elements don't touch in the middle.... :oops:

CCE_Sidepods_v7 (includes Heat Exchanger and carrier plate parts).

CCE_Front_Wing_v4

COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

Team_Bart

variante wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 23:21
Come on! We're all late...I've made my first simulation today after putting together a car in 3 days!
That's very fast =D> I can try to design a car the coming days and with some luck make a complete CAD model, but I think it's not worth the effort since the whole competition is about the CFD simulations. With much luck I'm competitive the first 1 or probably 2 races but after that I will be dead last :?

wb92

wb92 wrote: ↑

Do you mean; can you leave out the given parts? Yeah,I think that should be fine...
No I mean for STL creation if I can trim surfaces to each other and leave out ones which won't be used to be sure that there won't be any unnecessary holes in bodywork.

I still haven't made any CFD calcs, as a newbie need to get some more details :)

I feel like I could spend hours on modelling details.
MVRC - WBRacing

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
11 Aug 2019, 23:16
wb92 wrote:

It seems that most of the discussion on here is about the CFD, so I guess that everyone has a first pass at a basic car completed?

Just in case, I have a couple of new parts:-

New side-pods, slightly better looking externally in terms of drag, but much better in terms of internal duct shaping...

...Plus a slightly revised front wing with curved end plates and now the two elements don't touch in the middle.... :oops:

CCE_Sidepods_v7 (includes Heat Exchanger and carrier plate parts).

CCE_Front_Wing_v4

http://www.competition-car-engineering. ... r_v3_3.jpg
The new front wing is very similar to mine. Do you have any data about the simulation?

wb92

I'm having issues to reach 80MB for ASCII STL files, if I will make a file around 80MB then I will lost lot of details, especially on wing profiles. And that's already without wheels/suspension elements
MVRC - WBRacing

CAEdevice

I don't think you need to include suspensions and wheels.

wb92

I guessed so, but still I'm above 80MB and my wings look bad with such triangulation
MVRC - WBRacing

CAEdevice

Are you sure you don't have cuspides or not useful details (ex. Very small rounds)?