2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
digitalrurouni

Re: 2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

sprint car76 wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 19:40
I think it's in bottas best interest to go to another team. How many years do you want to get beat before your reputation is screwed. The difference points wise is getting worse every year. He still has a chance now to get a decent ride. There will be some rides open this year so i think this is his best chance to change teams
Or look at it another way - you are fighting someone considered the a modern day GOAT or whatever. If you can finish 2nd people will still think you were hot stuff because he was the only one you came behind of. But with Max's imperious form he's what only 7 points away? Bottas needs to step his game up. Also he gets to see how Lewis works how he sets his car up how he drives. He's only been in the Mercedes team 2.5 years. Still too early for him to go to another team I think.

sprint car76

" only 2.5 yrs". If he hasn't figured it out by now i don't think another year is going to help. He got one of hamiltons engineers this year and that doesn't seemed to have made much of a difference. This year there seems like there's a few drivers moving so i think this may be his best opportunity to get a good ride. In 2021 it doesn't seem like there will be the same openings for him

selvam_e2002

Bottas will be with Mercedes till 2020. They will swap driver with Williams in 2021. Bottas will go to Williams and Russel will come to Mercedes. Then Russel will be No1 once Hamilton retired or moved to other team.

Mercedes cannot screw their young driver like Ocon in future.

Capharol

selvam_e2002 wrote:
10 Aug 2019, 10:30
Bottas will be with Mercedes till 2020. They will swap driver with Williams in 2021. Bottas will go to Williams and Russel will come to Mercedes. Then Russel will be No1 once Hamilton retired or moved to other team.

Mercedes cannot screw their young driver like Ocon in future.
your opinion or knowing fact? because where would that leave Ocon?

selvam_e2002

It is my opinion. Ocon will be with different team instead of in Mercedes.

If Mercedes request Bottas to support Hamilton, he will do, but not sure about Ocon will do the same in same care. So, to avoid another Rosberg<-> Hamilton clash, they won't put Ocon in Mercedes.

My strong feeling, Ocon to Renault. Let wait and see. But I am 100% confident, Bottas will stay at Mercedes till 2020.

sprint car76

100% confident So if bottas moves on will you come back on here and say "I was 100% wrong" Just joking. I think if merc was going to keep bottas they would have announced it by now. I think toto is trying to find another ride for bottas and he already has made up his mind on who is taking bottas's seat. I'd prefer russell but i expect it to be ocon.

Bsowles

I’m relatively new to this site and am new at posting on here. I will apologize in advance if this is posted in the wrong forum. I’ve noticed in Lewis’s pit/garage area that there is a blond woman always following him around - always at his heels. Who is this team member? Is she some sort of personal assistant, life coach, or something along those lines? What is her team function and is she assigned exclusively to Lewis? Thanks in advance for any replies, and enjoy the summer break gentlemen.

lio007

Bsowles wrote:
11 Aug 2019, 09:49
I’m relatively new to this site and am new at posting on here. I will apologize in advance if this is posted in the wrong forum. I’ve noticed in Lewis’s pit/garage area that there is a blond woman always following him around - always at his heels. Who is this team member? Is she some sort of personal assistant, life coach, or something along those lines? What is her team function and is she assigned exclusively to Lewis? Thanks in advance for any replies, and enjoy the summer break gentlemen.
Her name is Angela Cullen, and is his Physio.

NL_Fer

Officialy Angela is a physio, but more of a PA to Lewis.

She wakes him in the morning, handles his agenda during weekends, decides what he eats, also during restaurant meetings. Personal trainer etc.

The idea is Lewis can 100% focus on racing.

Bsowles

That’s kind of what I kind of thought. Thanks for the replies folks.

NathanOlder

Wynters wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 13:53
Bill_Kar wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 18:26
Maybe I'm talking rubbish here, but I think if Verstappen is up for grabs, there is no way they let him race for another team. They will be working really hard to get him, even if that means they burn bridges with Ocon.
Agreed. I think Verstappen is the hottest property on the grid. Assuming he continues to learn and mature as he has since this point last season then he (due to his age) has many WDCs/WCCs in him than a much older Hamilton does. Best guess, Hamilton gets eight Championships before he retires, so three winning years to come. If Mercedes continues to be right at the front of the gird and Verstappen is put in a Silver Arrow in 2020/2021, how many Championships can he deliver before he retires? More than three? If so, he's a better investment than Hamilton is.

There's a lot of 'ifs' in my postulation, but they seem like risks that are worth taking from this side of the TV screen.
Pyrone89 wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 18:50
It would suprise me if Merc doesnt put Ocon on a 1 year + options for several years on Mercedes side. They have all the leverage, Ocon zero. That way they can get rid of him when they need the seat to open up. But even someone has a contract, it can always be bought of, and seeing that Ocon will make a relatively modest salary buying him of would be pennies for a team like Mercedes.
Agreed.
I see what your saying, but its not completely correct,
just as an example,
Merc could have Lewis and get 3 more titles in 5 years lets say, Max could get 5 in the next 8 years if they sign him now lets say.
After Lewis left, Merc signs Russell to replace Hamilton, and he wins 2 out of 3 championships.

So Merc still have 5 titles in 8 years, with or without Verstappen. Mercedes dont stop winning after Lewis leaves, and Mercedes dont need Verstappen to win.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

GPR-A

NathanOlder wrote:
11 Aug 2019, 16:45
So Merc still have 5 titles in 8 years, with or without Verstappen. Mercedes dont stop winning after Lewis leaves, and Mercedes dont need Verstappen to win.
There have been times when a team dominated and it felt like it would continue forever. Then suddenly, it came to a naught. Who knows, may be if Lewis leaves, it might trigger a host of people moving out of Mercedes, like Michael's Ferrari exit. Lewis seems to bring luck to a team and takes it away when he leaves, like for McLaren.

May be Liberty leader role might excite Toto and his exit would bring irreparable collateral damage to the team. Nothing is going to last forever. Toto is not going to be enjoying the same role forever. He is an entrepreneur and would like move on to other lucrative initiatives. So, never count your chicken before they hatch.

Max might end up being the next Alonso, making wrong decisions at wrong time. He might join a Mercedes in future, that isn't the championship team anymore. It is going to be a risky decision for him.
Last edited by GPR-A on 11 Aug 2019, 16:58, edited 1 time in total.

Pyrone89

GPR -A wrote:
11 Aug 2019, 16:55
NathanOlder wrote:
There have been times when a team dominated and it felt like it would continue forever. Then suddenly, it came to a naught. Who knows, may be if Lewis leaves, it might trigger a host of people moving out of Mercedes, like Michael's Ferrari exit. May be Liberty leader role might excite Toto and his exit would bring irreparable collateral damage to the team. Nothing is going to last forever. Toto is not going to be enjoying the same role forever. He is an entrepreneur and would like move on to other lucrative initiatives. So, never count your chicken before they hatch.

Max might end up being the next Alonso, making wrong decisions at wrong time. He might join a Mercedes in future, that isn't the championship team anymore. It is going to be a risky decision for him.
True
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Manoah2u

GPR -A wrote:
11 Aug 2019, 16:55
NathanOlder wrote:
There have been times when a team dominated and it felt like it would continue forever. Then suddenly, it came to a naught. Who knows, may be if Lewis leaves, it might trigger a host of people moving out of Mercedes, like Michael's Ferrari exit. Lewis seems to bring luck to a team and takes it away when he leaves, like for McLaren.

May be Liberty leader role might excite Toto and his exit would bring irreparable collateral damage to the team. Nothing is going to last forever. Toto is not going to be enjoying the same role forever. He is an entrepreneur and would like move on to other lucrative initiatives. So, never count your chicken before they hatch.

so why ask why Max would leave RedBull in the RBR thread then? :?

Agreed though, you can betcha dollar that when Hamilton leaves for Ferrari, he's taking a bunch of people with him there. Ferrari can use a bunch of people anyway. Imagine Toto Wolff going there :lol: :lol: . No but seriously. :wtf:

As mentioned yes, Mercedes would stall immediately and drop down fast. It could even 'force' them into quickly selling the team and going back to where they were before: Mclaren's engine provider and have a renewed goal for success. Or imagine them fusing with Williams. Or hell, Aston Martin leaving RBR and taking over AMG Petronas Mercedes team and turning it into Aston Martin Racing AND keep the Mercedes' engines.

Ricciardo aboard would be fantastic for that scenario. And having brit Russell aboard wouldn't hurt either i think.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

GPR-A

Manoah2u wrote:
11 Aug 2019, 17:19

so why ask why Max would leave RedBull in the RBR thread then? :?

Because this is all about probabilities and I always believe anything can happen. People who are running the teams are smarter than any of us here and would be preparing plans A to Z, not just A or B.