UK to end hydrocarbon-fuelled cars in 2040

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Just_a_fan

Re: UK to end hydrocarbon-fuelled cars in 2040

Jolle wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 15:49
Big Tea wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 15:40
Jolle wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 15:27

At the moment the amount of energy from renewable and nuclear is about the same, still trailing behind fossil fuel. I don't see why investing in nuclear would be easier then investing in hydro, thermal, wind and solar power.
Mostly because it runs 24/7, which would be with tidal (well 20/7 anyway) but they are not investing in that either, mostly due to protesters. There was a plan 15 years ago to put a barrage across the Severn which would supply about 1/5 the power needed in England and wales, which looked set to go ahead until there were 'mass protests' from environmentalists. (even though the ones I saw had a couple hundred people at most)
The UK indeed falls behind on other European countries. In the Netherlands for instance, we invest a lot in wind parks outside the coast line. Also in our claimed land, Flevoland, the "Polders", are more and more full of turbines. Our two nuclear plants are not renewed and will be decommissioned when there is enough power from other neutral sources. Germany is on a same style of program as well.
You are aware that the UK has the largest installed off shore wind power resource in the world, aren't you? About 1/3 of all off shore wind turbine capacity is "in" the UK.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Jolle

Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 17:52
Jolle wrote:
Big Tea wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 15:40

Mostly because it runs 24/7, which would be with tidal (well 20/7 anyway) but they are not investing in that either, mostly due to protesters. There was a plan 15 years ago to put a barrage across the Severn which would supply about 1/5 the power needed in England and wales, which looked set to go ahead until there were 'mass protests' from environmentalists. (even though the ones I saw had a couple hundred people at most)
The UK indeed falls behind on other European countries. In the Netherlands for instance, we invest a lot in wind parks outside the coast line. Also in our claimed land, Flevoland, the "Polders", are more and more full of turbines. Our two nuclear plants are not renewed and will be decommissioned when there is enough power from other neutral sources. Germany is on a same style of program as well.
You are aware that the UK has the largest installed off shore wind power resource in the world, aren't you? About 1/3 of all off shore wind turbine capacity is "in" the UK.
that is good to read!

RZS10

no point in leaving this up when you can't even have a discussion here
Last edited by RZS10 on 18 Aug 2019, 00:05, edited 1 time in total.

Big Tea

Jolle wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 17:54
Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 17:52
Jolle wrote:

that is good to read!
I did not know it was the biggest, but I did read it produces up to ( a very important qualifier ) 9% of demand, but do not know how often this is or what it falls to other times.
It is still less than half nuclear though.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Just_a_fan

Big Tea wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 18:01

I did not know it was the biggest, but I did read it produces up to ( a very important qualifier ) 9% of demand, but do not know how often this is or what it falls to other times.
It varies, as might be expected. A good site for UK electicity demand/generation here: https://gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

From the historical graphs, you can see that sometime wind is much more than nuclear.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

nzjrs

I wonder if scientists on their forums discuss engineers with the derision as we speak of scientists here.

A general question, hands up if anyone here has been, or is currently employed full-time in the natural or environmental (i.e not hard) sciences, in academia or adjacent (so can speak to not only the mindset of natural scientists, but to the philosophically different world view they have to engineers).

I'm putting my hand up. I don't recognise the specifics of anyone's descriptions of scientists here, unless those descriptions are so general as to be useless.

Let's stick to the data we all love - after all we are all engineers.....

Big Tea

Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 18:07
Big Tea wrote:

It varies, as might be expected. A good site for UK electicity demand/generation here: https://gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

From the historical graphs, you can see that sometime wind is much more than nuclear.
Probably because wind is what it is but generated is variable. They can reduce the output of Nuke with little waste while dropping wind powered would not be

Andres125sx

RZS10 wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 17:57
Most extractors are just circulating the air internally to filter out grease and some smell via activated carbon filters only a minority is actually extracting the air from the kitchen ... at least here.

Not the case here, all of them, or at least a vast majority, extract the smoke and fumes to the outside

RZS10 wrote:
No one is doing anything about the heating methods over here afaik

Again, not the case here. In Spain there are subsidies to renew heating installations since at least past decade. And any new public building must be equipped with solar thermal panels for many years, but not mandatory on private buildings yet.

Also, most new boilers are gas, so still far from perfect, but we can´t say heating is being ignored, actually I´d say they´re doing more in this field than they´re doing about cars, wich are also subsidized but the investment in charge points is laughable :o

RZS10 wrote:
so you might understand why i believe the discussion regarding NOx is dishonest, especially since leading lung experts/doctors say that NOx isn't as bad as it's made out to be, at least at those low concentrations we have in most major cities in western europe (it's in the article i linked)

Even if they exagerated, for example here in Madrid we go over the limits of NOx not slightly, but some times even x2 or x3 the limit, so even if the exaggerated and the limit is too low, you can be sure at any big city the real limits are exceed.

Any doctor, when he´s talking to someone with some respiratory problem, first advice he provide is going out of cities to breath clean air, and there are statistics showing how not only respiratory problems but even alergies (alergen and pollution molecules get mixed and increase allergen strenght) are a lot more frequent into the cities. No idea if that limit you´re criticizing is real or not, but experience is proving air into cities is causing several health problems. Ask someone with asma about his feelings when into a city or out of it,

I sincerely think we can´t question if air into cities is harmful or not, it´s obvious it is

strad

Ok Roon; You want to keep grasping. You'll have to show me where I have been rude or belittled any poster in the FE topic. Did I denigrate the formula? Yes...Did I belittle the driving and the tracks? Yes. As have many others.
However I once again went back to my first post in that topic and can't find where I ever insulted any poster.
In fact I don't think I have ever been rude to any poster on this site.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Jolle

Big Tea wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 18:14
Just_a_fan wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

Probably because wind is what it is but generated is variable. They can reduce the output of Nuke with little waste while dropping wind powered would not be
A nuclear power plant isn't fast enough either to keep the grid stable. Thats why they are all looking in storage and way's to convert extra electricity into storage. This could well be hydrogen for instance. There are also models in place where you use your car to balance the grid, with cheaper rates for energy at moments of overflow and higher costs where there is none (and you can power your house from your car).

At the moment, even in a nuclear heavy grid like France, there are different kinds of power to keep the grid balanced on 50hrz.

Andres125sx

Big Tea wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

Would not be as easy as activating the brake as they do when wind is too strong? Problem comes when you need more power than provided, wich is the reason we still need nuclear, and will need it for many years ahead yet

Andres125sx

strad wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 18:58
Ok Roon; You want to keep grasping. You'll have to show me where I have been rude or belittled any poster in the FE topic. Did I denigrate the formula? Yes...Did I belittle the driving and the tracks? Yes. As have many others.
However I once again went back to my first post in that topic and can't find where I ever insulted any poster.
In fact I don't think I have ever been rude to any poster on this site.
Maybe you should consider constantly betlittling and denigrating a point of view is offensive for those who agree or like that point of view.

For example, if I´d say muscle cars are useless, have the maneuverability of a 20 ton truck, and only provide adrenaline for those who know nothing about cars as any european car with an engine a half the size of those is much much faster, I´m not betlittling anyone, but you probably will feel offended. Do you understand what I mean?

Big Tea

Andres125sx wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 19:03
Big Tea wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

Would not be as easy as activating the brake as they do when wind is too strong? Problem comes when you need more power than provided, wich is the reason we still need nuclear, and will need it for many years ahead yet
I kinda like Musk's idea of re-using old car batteries as stand by storage. It would not really matter much how the storage had degraded as long as they are still usable. Then they go off for re building (apparently)

strad

To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Jolle

Big Tea wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 20:51
Andres125sx wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 19:03
Big Tea wrote:

I kinda like Musk's idea of re-using old car batteries as stand by storage. It would not really matter much how the storage had degraded as long as they are still usable. Then they go off for re building (apparently)
I believe that they are already building a giant battery from old Nissan parts for the Amsterdam Arena. For high power users, you pay the most for big peak loads, like the ones you need for the sub of a kick drum at a rock concert. They will use a battery pack to level these peaks to have less strain on the power grid.