F1 setups

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Litex

F1 setups

Does anybody know of a website where F1 setup data can be found for different tracks/drivers.

The circuit I'm particularly interested in is the Istanbul track, but a site(s) where all the tracks are listed would be even better.

flynfrog

Re: F1 setups

I am pretty sure those secrets are guarded with people lives

You might try to find an old episode of inside grandprix for a rough idea

Jersey Tom

No way you'd get it. Why would you want it? Setup for rFactor or some such game? If so, setup in video game is not necessarily representative of setup on a real car... in fact probably not remotely.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

ESPImperium

And just to say Hamilton, Massa or Kimi even Alonso likes one setup; even in a game it may not be what you want, as one drivers prefrences are diffrent to anothers.

One like to focus on the rear end, one may like a focus on the front end, some may prefer a middle ground setup. Some may also like a little power oversteer in the front, some may like a little understeer in the rear.

Its what you want from the car and how you can set up the car to your driving style.

Setups are pretty much diffrent from driver to driver from car to car.

Even the same driver in 2 diffrent cars may have 2 totally differing setups. Like Massa liked a rear end focus on the Sauber-Ferarri, but when he went to Ferarri it changed to a front end focus from what ive read.

Take Alonso as well, at McLaren he liked the middle ground, a easier setup for the tyres, but at Renault this year it looks more aggressive and more front endy at the start of the season, not its more nuteral due to chassis development and aero development.

Point being, whats quick for one isnt necsacarily going to be quick for another.

Scuderia_Russ

flynfrog wrote:I am pretty sure those secrets are guarded with people lives

You might try to find an old episode of inside grandprix for a rough idea
A user on this site has seen photographs of set up sheets online so they are not impossible to find.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

timbo

Here there are setup sheets from Imola'00 for Prost drivers Jean Alesi and Nick Heidfelt.
http://www.gurneyflap.com/prostap03.html
However I doubt that outsider not knowing the tech specs may find much useful there (apart from the fact that setups are different for each driver and some specs like camber/toe in).

Scuderia_Russ

Interesting find, thanks.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

Belatti

timbo wrote:Here there are setup sheets from Imola'00 for Prost drivers Jean Alesi and Nick Heidfelt.
http://www.gurneyflap.com/prostap03.html
However I doubt that outsider not knowing the tech specs may find much useful there (apart from the fact that setups are different for each driver and some specs like camber/toe in).
They are fine for feeding curiosity, but technically useless nowadays.

Any setup is like a theory: it worth relatively nothing till you make the experiment and check the results. And to build the theory, you must know the ground, that in this analogy would be the car/circuit/tires/driver characteristics.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

marcush.

well,the collected data reveals tyre temps are way too different on both cars.
this is reflected by both drivers comments:
corner entry understeer (low grip because of too low tyre temps front),snap oversteer on exit ,caused by rear tyres at max temp already ,but fronts gaining grip on corner exit due to sideforces+ braking increasing temps.
So ,I´d put all the avaialble ballast to the front to give the tyres something to chew on and create tyre temps front as afirst measure.Judging from the sheets there was still scope for doing this.
Interestingly ,both did not alter their setup dramatically in the session ,which is striking considering the massive trouble they had plus the bad times they managed to wrestle out of their cars...amazing.
I know this is oversimplifying a complicated issue ,but generally speaking ,if you got big problems ,you should bite the bullett and do big changes.Theres not much to loose if you ´d end P21 or 25..
The most amazing statement is ,to think you will not run into tyre degradation problems thru the race with those temp differences...to speak a clear word,from lap 4 on the car will be massively traction restricted due to overheating rears,
having two good drivers they will have content with what was available...poor guysJean and Nick.
Funny ,french and (german)english language mix on the sheets...
the basics are always valid and you can clearly see technicians and drivers were all at sea in the middle of a storm...claiming prost GP at the end...

sdimm

Really intresting too see what the diffrent drivers comment on.

Anyone have more of these would be awesome :) Doesn´t have to be from an F1.
// Mattias

--------------------------