[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2019 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
machin

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2019 (Grand Prix Cars)

Nice looking car! If the first couple of cars we’ve seen are anything to go by it looks like we’ll have a really nice grid!

Interesting that you’ve gone for shallow rear wing end plates.... I thought deeper end plates might help to contain the flow coming off the wheels....?

Yes, the floor ends up further away from the ground... to my eye it looks pretty realistic in terms of ground clearance (and more importantly; it’s the same for everyone 😉).
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

jjn9128

machin wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 20:45
Interesting that you’ve gone for shallow rear wing end plates.... I thought deeper end plates might help to contain the flow coming off the wheels....?

Yes, the floor ends up further away from the ground... to my eye it looks pretty realistic in terms of ground clearance (and more importantly; it’s the same for everyone 😉).
Now I realise why everyone only posts teasers :lol: There's method in the madness, but I might be shown for a fool down the line. Just noticed track 1 is Spa, so I might take some wing out...

For submission, we don't need to give any of the power unit/exhaust/tyres, but the rest needs to be less than 80Mb before compression? Can we include bargeboards and turning vanes with the high fidelity surfaces?
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

machin

jjn9128 wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 22:09
For submission, we don't need to give any of the power unit/exhaust/tyres, but the rest needs to be less than 80Mb before compression? Can we include bargeboards and turning vanes with the high fidelity surfaces?
Correct. 👍👍👍

qwerty2459

Hello Everyone, I want to register for this season, but I've never used freeCAD before. Is this comp. noob friendly? haha
I do use AutoCAD for full time work so I guess it should take me long to add stuff to the base car.

UlleGulle

Not intending to join the competition, but just a question out of curiousity....would a passive DRS be legal according to the rules?

machin

qwerty2459 wrote:
16 Aug 2019, 02:00
Hello Everyone, I want to register for this season, but I've never used freeCAD before. Is this comp. noob friendly? haha
I do use AutoCAD for full time work so I guess it should take me long to add stuff to the base car.
You can use any 3D CAD program to design a car... FreeCAD is good because it’s free, although it’s not as good as something like Solidworks in my opinion... Andre (LVDH) likes Blender (also free I think?).

3D CAD does take a little while to get your head around... but it’s a skill definitely worth learning for an engineer... and the other guys in the championship are really helpful as you can see from the posts above.... so I say jump in and have a go! 😊👍

machin

UlleGulle wrote:
16 Aug 2019, 08:46
Not intending to join the competition, but just a question out of curiousity....would a passive DRS be legal according to the rules?
We CFD test the cars at one speed (100mph), in the earlier years we tested at two speeds and at yaw angles, but we found that the best car at 180mph was also the best car at 100mph and at yaw, so there was no real gain in doing the extra CFD tests; it just added a lot more computing time.

So a passive DRS (working at some elevated speed) would be allowed within the rules, but pointless.

etsmc

Well that's a car put together in a day, little worried it might be a bit off in the scale as i had to import it all in to sketchup all the supplied parts do fit though... Yes sketchup as it was the quickest way for me to put it together.
going to submit it as it is and hope for the best as i have had no chance to do any testing, only thing carried over is my rearwing profiles from the lmp cars.
Will try and get an image up but simple design with a 3 element front wing, flat end plates, simple 2 element rear wing, no strakes on front wing or diffuser.

Bit of a rush job but hopefully the first set of results will give me a baseline to start developing from.
Good luck people. :)

rjsa

Anyone got a good MVRC standard run? I’m halfway and it’s incredibly nose heavy. With lRef=1.0.

jjn9128

Question about the engine air intake... does that need to be a solid body extending 100mm back from x=1540 or is it a 2-d surface on x=1540?

Then how do we submit?
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

rjsa

A surface with a 100mm free projected volume behind.

jjn9128

rjsa wrote:
16 Aug 2019, 13:07
A surface with a 100mm free projected volume behind.
So the "engine_in" STL in the "special_bc" directory is a volume not a surface!?
#aerogandalf

CAEdevice

No, is a surface bit ot has a free volume behind

jjn9128

CAEdevice wrote:
16 Aug 2019, 13:26
No, is a surface bit ot has a free volume behind
Okay so this:

not this:
#aerogandalf

Thomas2019

Hello,
quick introduction. Iam registered as team Baltic. Stumbled upon this earlier this year.
I have a CFD background but very little experience with F1 car creation.

I am currently trying to get a CFD run going for the car that machin posted and then work my way from there.

Cheers
Thomas