Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Pyrone89

Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Silly Season thread for the upcoming seasons (as they can be interlinked)

Mod edit: clarified the title. Let me (hollus) know if this is a problem. The change is not retroactive, but should work from now on. I'll remove the second part after the 2019 season is over, if I remember.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Wouter

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021

Huge news this week:
Alexander Albon is being promoted to the Team to drive alongside Max, while Pierre will return to the Red Bull sister team, Scuderia Toro Rosso.

Red Bull are in the unique position of having four talented Formula One drivers under contract who can be rotated between the Team and Toro Rosso. The Team will use the next nine races to evaluate Alex’s performance in order to make an informed decision as to who will drive alongside Max in 2020.

Everyone at the Team looks forward to welcoming Alex and supporting him during the next phase of his F1 career.
https://twitter.com/redbullracing/statu ... 9215156224

https://twitter.com/alex_albon/status/1 ... 0384533504

https://twitter.com/alex_albon/status/1 ... 9799669762
The Power of Dreams!

DChemTech

Shouldn't it be 2019/2020? (Since the silly season for next year starts now)

Anyhow, which drivers from current f2 do you reckon to get promotion? Not a strong field this year, but it would be good for the image if at least the champion gets a chance - HAAS could be an option (unless they opt American); Romains retirement is a year overdue. Sauber instead of GIO otherwise.

Starscreamer

My prediction 2020:

Mercedes: HAM/BOT
Ferrari: VET/LEC
RedBull: VER/ALB
McLaren: SAI/NOR
Renault: RIC/OCO
Alfa: RAI/SCH(umacher)
Toro Roso: KVY/DEV(ries)
Racing point: PER/STR
Haas: MAG/HUL
Williams: RUS/KUB
#33 2 THE MAX 3RSTAPP3N
***WORLD CHAMPION 2021, 2022 & 2023

Wouter

DChemTech wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 06:01
Shouldn't it be 2019/2020? (Since the silly season for next year starts now)
I agree to that.
The Power of Dreams!

raymondu999

Yes it's silly season 2019/2020... speculating midseason 2019 announcements, and changes FOR 2020. That's the usual naming scheme lol
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Phil

I am going to go with Hamilton - Ocon.

To be honest, i dont know what will happen with Bottas or what his plan B will be. Not convinced Hulkenberg will leave Renault - i think he is doing a solid enough job against Ricciardo.

Haas, maybe. Cant see Grosjean holding on to his seat.

Williams. No clue, except that Kubica will not be around next year and Russel is locked in.

Ferrari and RedBull will stay as is, so will McLaren.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

TheGkbrk

Just watched this video about Bottas - Ocon selection for 2020. A reasonable analysis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOn74kqmlk8
Last edited by TheGkbrk on 17 Aug 2019, 13:22, edited 1 time in total.

DChemTech

Phil wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 21:48
I am going to go with Hamilton - Ocon.

To be honest, i dont know what will happen with Bottas or what his plan B will be. Not convinced Hulkenberg will leave Renault - i think he is doing a solid enough job against Ricciardo.

Haas, maybe. Cant see Grosjean holding on to his seat.

Williams. No clue, except that Kubica will not be around next year and Russel is locked in.

Ferrari and RedBull will stay as is, so will McLaren.
Agree on most, I do see Ocon going to Renault though. Was hoping for hulk to RB but that seems farfetched now, unless Albon disappoints (but then kvyat 2.0 seems more likely). Hulk to HAAS or AR maybe. TR would be an option for DEV, seeing he is currently unsigned and TR pipeline is pretty empty. Could be a gasly or stoffel 2.0, but maybe there does turn out to be more to him.

Jolle

We’re all focused on the seats next to Hamilton and Verstappen but what will be Ferrari’s options be if Vettel decides that 2020 is his last year in red. Leclerc has a contract until 2022.

Drivers like Sainz, Ricciardo and Perez might get their chance in race winning car after all...

Capharol

Jolle wrote:
16 Aug 2019, 00:13
We’re all focused on the seats next to Hamilton and Verstappen but what will be Ferrari’s options be if Vettel decides that 2020 is his last year in red. Leclerc has a contract until 2022.

Drivers like Sainz, Ricciardo and Perez might get their chance in race winning car after all...
if Ferrari swap drivers it won't be with drivers like Ricciardo or Sainz, because these two are ambitioned enough not to accept a seat as 2nd driver (Ferrari will fully focus on Leclerc then)
Perez could be possible if he accepts to be 2nd driver but i guess they might wanna try someone from F2 or Giovinazzi

DChemTech

That would be a long way for Perez to finally get that seat his initial Ferrari driver program was aiming at. But he would be a good choice, his bum McLaren year was probably more car than driver and his lengthy FI tenure has shown him to be fast, reasonably consistent and ready to seize opportunities when they arise. And a 2nd driver position next to leclerc is favourable over next to stroll for sure. GIO Has far from proven himself, don't see that happening. And I agree on ric/sainz; for ric perhaps Mercedes should it come available (more long term opportunity), but in the current state of ferrari with yet another young, eager and favoured teammate would make no sense.

Phil

Capharol wrote:
16 Aug 2019, 15:19
Jolle wrote:

if Ferrari swap drivers it won't be with drivers like Ricciardo or Sainz, because these two are ambitioned enough not to accept a seat as 2nd driver (Ferrari will fully focus on Leclerc then)
Perez could be possible if he accepts to be 2nd driver but i guess they might wanna try someone from F2 or Giovinazzi
Why would they focus on one driver then, when they are doing no such thing now, while having two very ambitious drivers?

I really dont get the logic in suggesting that a team would prefer to take a lesser driver in order to ‘protect’ the status of their more established one.

Kimi wasnt brought in at the time when Alonso was driving for the team and neither was Leclerc brought in, while Vettel is there for that reason.

Mercedes didnt bring in Bottas for that reason either.

There is just no point in doing that, if you want to perform to your potential and get the best out if your team. Ideally, you want two ambitious drivers, pushing each other, but also having a strong management to control the harmonics of the team. I’m not suggesting Sainz or Ricciardo would be available, but assuming they are and Vettel leaves, what would be the point in focusing on Leclerc if there could be a better performing driver available?

The driver is but a means for the team to achieve its ambitions. Not the other way around.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Capharol

Phil wrote:
16 Aug 2019, 17:21
Capharol wrote:
16 Aug 2019, 15:19
Jolle wrote:

Why would they focus on one driver then, when they are doing no such thing now, while having two very ambitious drivers?

I really dont get the logic in suggesting that a team would prefer to take a lesser driver in order to ‘protect’ the status of their more established one.

Kimi wasnt brought in at the time when Alonso was driving for the team and neither was Leclerc brought in, while Vettel is there for that reason.

Mercedes didnt bring in Bottas for that reason either.

There is just no point in doing that, if you want to perform to your potential and get the best out if your team. Ideally, you want two ambitious drivers, pushing each other, but also having a strong management to control the harmonics of the team. I’m not suggesting Sainz or Ricciardo would be available, but assuming they are and Vettel leaves, what would be the point in focusing on Leclerc if there could be a better performing driver available?

The driver is but a means for the team to achieve its ambitions. Not the other way around.
to make Leclerc WC with Ferrari .... like Mercedes does with Hamilton, or do you think they have kept Bottas because he is a WDC contender ... not really, as Toto already stated ones, by accident or purpose, Bottas is a great Wingman, doesn't cause any problem, doesn't moan if he needs to back off, and takes a 2nd place for granted if Hamilton leads.

If teams like to push you get the best driver in your car, so why isn't Verstappen beside Hamilton (they could had easily bought him out of his contract) or why isn't Leclerc there ?
of course Teams like Haas, Racing Point, etc. needs to get drivers to be as close together as possible, even RB does (that's why they demoted Gasly) but when it come shove to push, Mercedes, Ferrari and RB always wanna see a clear #1 driver and a 2nd driver that pushes the first but not to hard .... and Ricciardo and Sainz will be pushing to hard which can cost points for the #1 driver

GPR-A

Capharol wrote:
16 Aug 2019, 17:59
If teams like to push you get the best driver in your car, so why isn't Verstappen beside Hamilton (they could had easily bought him out of his contract) or why isn't Leclerc there ?
of course Teams like Haas, Racing Point, etc. needs to get drivers to be as close together as possible, even RB does (that's why they demoted Gasly) but when it come shove to push, Mercedes, Ferrari and RB always wanna see a clear #1 driver and a 2nd driver that pushes the first but not to hard .... and Ricciardo and Sainz will be pushing to hard which can cost points for the #1 driver
Mercedes did not differentiate between Lewis and Rosberg, who were the preferred pair of drivers at Mercedes. Bottas was the "best of the available" options for 2017 and not the desired option as Rosberg chose to quit without a warning.

I have a feeling that, Toto has stopped chasing Verstappen, due to which both Max and Jos have been making comments about Lewis that he did not have "challenge from team mate", "more drivers could have achieved what he did", "Lewis is rattled by max" etc., in an effort to push Toto to consider pairing Max with Lewis by breaking the bank, even if Lewis continue at Mercedes for 2021/22. Probably, Toto is confident of retaining Lewis beyond 2020 and is now more focused on various options to find another talented driver alongside Lewis and is probably willing to wait for another 3 to 4 years before re-considering the Verstappen option, which is not what Verstappens want.