Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
izzy

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

SSScoffee wrote:
17 Aug 2019, 15:38
PGTech "Mercedes fired up its 2020 engine prototype which will be their biggest performance gain since 2014"

They're very, very reliable and always have inside info from both Ferrari and Mercedes.

https://twitter.com/SmilexTech/status/1 ... 0625012736
I wonder if it includes Lorenzo Sassi's 3-D printed pistons?

I think it'll be a shame if they freeze the engines. It's not as if the oem's can't afford it

LM10

izzy wrote:
17 Aug 2019, 21:25
SSScoffee wrote:
17 Aug 2019, 15:38
PGTech "Mercedes fired up its 2020 engine prototype which will be their biggest performance gain since 2014"

They're very, very reliable and always have inside info from both Ferrari and Mercedes.

https://twitter.com/SmilexTech/status/1 ... 0625012736
I wonder if it includes Lorenzo Sassi's 3-D printed pistons?

I think it'll be a shame if they freeze the engines. It's not as if the oem's can't afford it
Can't imagine they've not been using it already. The 3D printed pistons were first mentioned before 2017 season even started.

izzy

LM10 wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 11:11

Can't imagine they've not been using it already. The 3D printed pistons were first mentioned before 2017 season even started.
I thought Lorenzo was sacked from Ferrari because he couldn't get them working?

pb6797

What are the chances that this power upgrade will be as "impressive" as the aero update for the German Grand Prix, which was touted as a huge step forward but turned out apparently to do next to nothing?

Webber2011

pb6797 wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 14:23
What are the chances that this power upgrade will be as "impressive" as the aero update for the German Grand Prix, which was touted as a huge step forward but turned out apparently to do next to nothing?
The thing about Mercedes is, that they very rarely make too many mistakes in a row.

I'm sure their upgrade won't fail 👍

LM10

izzy wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 13:11
LM10 wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 11:11

I thought Lorenzo was sacked from Ferrari because he couldn't get them working?
Where did you get this from? The reported reason was that Marchionne wanted him to leave F1 and help out with his hybrid technology knowledge at Fiat. But Sassi didn’t agree with that.

izzy

LM10 wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 14:54
Where did you get this from? The reported reason was that Marchionne wanted him to leave F1 and help out with his hybrid technology knowledge at Fiat. But Sassi didn’t agree with that.
I probably got it from motorsport.com :
Sassi was held responsible for an engine development that went wrong last year, a mighty push that was intended to put Ferrari at least level with Mercedes for the second part of the season. It didn't materialise and Ferrari weren't able to capitalise on a strong start to the season as Mercedes struggled at some venues with the chassis and tyre combination.
So it was a bit like Aldo :
He will be following in the footsteps of chassis designer Aldo Costa, who was chucked out of Maranello, but has enjoyed great success since with the three pointed star.
that's most likely why the Scuderia version is so different! :P But I haven't heard any more about 3-D printed pistons so I was wondering if this big step might be it

zibby43

pb6797 wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 14:23
The upgrade that allowed Merc to have a comfortable race pace advantage and better tire management than Red Bull in Hungary (despite the fact Hamilton was in dirty air for most of the race)?

I wouldn't render a verdict on that upgrade just yet. It took Mercedes the entire second week of preseason testing to figure out how to setup the "B-spec" car. The upgrade in Germany was almost as comprehensive, front to back, and Merc only had limited representative practice running between Germany and Hungary (a fraction of the time they had in testing).

It took Red Bull from Austria to Hungary to figure out how to optimize their new front wing with the rest of the car's setup. In sum, it takes a while to understand and exploit upgrades this year, even for the top teams. The upgrade achieved downforce targets on the track. It's a matter of getting a better qualifying setup.

saviour stivala

I know it helps to fill pages but 99% of predictions as to the outcome of intended updates depends on the predictor support or otherwise of the particular team’s intended updates. As to what the intended updates will consist of is 100% speculation. It is wiser to wait until intended updates are used on track and the outcome is all there to see.

PlatinumZealot

For 2020, the new technology in he turbine is code-named "wizzle de-rator." A bit of what Honda has in their turbocharger that allowed them to run cooler in Austria. :wink:
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Morteza

Via AMuS and @NicolasF1i
Last edited by Morteza on 30 Aug 2019, 12:38, edited 3 times in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

dans79

Do we know what's been upgraded yet? ICE, TC, MGU-H MGU-K, ES, CE ?

Other than an indirect cooling issue I don't think the ICE needs updated. Their weakness seems to reside in the ES, MGU-H area.
197 104 103 7

MtthsMlw

dans79 wrote:
29 Aug 2019, 19:53
Do we know what's been upgraded yet? ICE, TC, MGU-H MGU-K, ES, CE ?

Other than an indirect cooling issue I don't think the ICE needs updated. Their weakness seems to reside in the ES, MGU-H area.
Nothing official before tomorrow I guess but I think ICE, Turbo and MGU-H. Hamilton most likely also ES, CE and MGU-K since he's still on the first ones.

saviour stivala

Adam Cooper reported that Perez will have to revert back to his old specification Mercedes engine from FP3 onwards as a result of the new upgraded engine suffering low oil pressure, he also reported that first smoke and then flames were seen at the tailpipe. Perez like Stroll before him will take a engine related grid penalty at Monza.