[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2019 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
RicME85

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2019 (Grand Prix Cars)

Great to see MVRC looking healthy. Really wanted to get a car entered for race one but things did their best to stop me doing so.

Matteo - My preference would be the 3D print of the car, brings back memories of the KVRC version of the the challenge where a 3D print was offered. - Chris did this ever arrive?

CAEdevice

RicME85 wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 17:13
... brings back memories of the KVRC version of the the challenge where a 3D print was offered
This gave me the idea :)

LVDH

Thomas2019 wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 16:21
etsmc wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 16:09
:shock: wow thats a fair few.. i wonder if the simplified rules have had a hand in that or if its just the exposure. . Looking forward to seeing the images and results :?
In my case (Team Baltic) it was exposure. Andre presented the challenge at a workshop earlier this year.
I often present MVRC at conferences. And afterwards I get approached by many people who want to join. This time I finally got one person. And at the same conference, I bumped into an old friend who spent the last few years in F1. He actually gave us some consulting with the rules. So that was the most successful presentation ever. MVRC seems to be a plant that grows very slow. One day it will be huge and beautiful but it will take a long time.

I am very happy with the numbers so far though. Over ten cars submitted and Pure Power might join tonight. With all the new cars, I am having some small issues though and Richard will have to help a bit with scrutineering. But for the first F1 race in MVRC since years and all the issues posted, I think things are going well. You should get the results together with the others guys racing in Spa in two weeks.

variante

I think the 3D print of the winning car would be pretty cool, as long as it's a detailed one.

Yeah, good number of entries. But i still think it would double, at least, with some exposure on the F1Technical homepage (but maybe we would even become too many to handle).

CAEdevice

variante wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 17:47
I think the 3D print of the winning car would be pretty cool, as long as it's a detailed one.
The problem is that if we go with a classic 1:18 scale, components that are 10mm thick should be modified in order to obtain at least 1mm (or preferably more): strakes for example need to be 25mm thick in the original (not scaled) model.

A larger scale (1:8) would be great, but we would need an additional sponsor...

Tzk
Tzk

Regarding the 3d print: It should be doable to print in either 1:10 or 1:12, depending on your airfoils. These are rather thin at the trailing edge and will cause issues when FDM printed.

CAEdevice wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 14:16
Hi, I use Solidworks. I model the whole car as a single part, but as a multybody. Since the car derived from an old project, I need to use some "cut" ("divide") at the end, but if you start from scratch, and you use in the correct way the option to "join solids" when you create it, you should be able to obtain automatically the components.

Other users prefer the "assembly" mode, but in my opinion is not necessary for simple modeling required here.
I'm not a competitor, but a solidworks user (and a long time lurker in this thread... :D ). Can you elaborate a bit more on how you'd cut the car apart to obtain the parts from a single file?
I'd probably go with an assembly where i'd model all parts seperately and without references to each other. Exporting is then as easy as saving the whole ASM as STL (make sure "save as single file" is turned off in the settings).

Also: How are you solving the issue of the STL mesh on air intakes and radiators?
I'm refering to the issue mentioned here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=28295&start=165#p856042

CAEdevice

If you prefer to avoid references (parts modeled indipendently) the assembly is ok. Using multibody is possibile too. I prefere this approach: I activate the "weldement" option (nothing is welded, but it automatically deactivate the auto join option when you define a featur that adds material) and then I manually combine the bodies that are part of a component (ex. Rear wing airfoils and endplates and pillars).

In case you have (like me) a model previously modeled as single body, you can try using the functions like "divide" or "cut with surface" (but sometimes it is quicker to re model).

STL: when SWX setup settings are not enough (but it is... you can save bodies separatley if they need special settings), you can work them with one STL manager (ex.meshlab)

Ft5fTL

There you go:

I seriously think this will be the worst car on the challenge atm. I couldn't refine the aero because of the cooling.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

CAEdevice

Ft5fTL wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 21:47
There you go:

https://cdn1.imggmi.com/uploads/2019/8/ ... 3-full.png

I seriously think this will be the worst car on the challenge atm. I couldn't refine the aero because of the cooling.
Are you joking? Except for the cooling outlets that I can't see (mine are huge), the car has many interesting details.
Don't worry, the first race... will be the second :)

etsmc

Ft5fTL wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 21:47
There you go:

https://cdn1.imggmi.com/uploads/2019/8/ ... 3-full.png

Well i dont think the MercuryMotorsport and Pure Power Racing battle will continue in the new regs.. your car look much betterthan mine.

Ft5fTL

I just confirmed, the chimneys that i added last second did a horrible job on cooling, and probably messed up the airflow because i got way lower cl than before. I'm no where near of the targeted Cl/Cd numbers atm.

By the way, can i use the first case that i submited? The second one has an illegal barge board setup.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

LVDH

So the cars have arrived and have started testing. Some are spending time in the scrutineering box. They look cool though:
Better quality can be found here:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/cars-mvrc- ... amps-2019/
I think the award for best name goes to OKRacing.
Good luck for everyone.

(The renders, some of you sent, will get published very soon as well.)

CAEdevice

My first impression is that Variante and OKRacing will fight for the victory. Baltic has a simple car and it could be a good choice.

I can only hope your engines are running to hot to complete the race.

Where did Variante hide HXs?

machin

CAEdevice wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 13:15
Surely they're not going to work?! But knowing Variante; they will work!

It is a shame about your balance issues Matteo, since I think your car looks really nice.... On the whole though, I think all the cars looks really great; not a single one looks bad.... Although I think I need to modify the Renault R29 "inspired" nose on the CCE car! :oops: :oops: :oops:
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 13:49
CAEdevice wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 13:15
Surely they're not going to work?! But knowing Variante; they will work!

It is a shame about your balance issues Matteo, since I think your car looks really nice.... On the whole though, I think all the cars looks really great; not a single one looks bad.... Although I think I need to modify the Renault R29 "inspired" nose on the CCE car! :oops: :oops: :oops:
I am happy indipendently by the results: now I have a solid parametric model and I have understood the key points of the new cars.

I am scared of Variante HXs... they were his strong point last year.