2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
jjn9128

Re: 2021 Aero Thread

roon wrote:
22 Aug 2019, 16:19
No word on how prescriptive the regs are.
Not yet. Next F1 rules meeting is in October. Word is though that nothing new has been agreed between teams, and Ferrari are fighting back against "standardization". Rules have to be signed off in October though or it isn't happening in 2021.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

djos

MtthsMlw wrote:
22 Aug 2019, 13:59
Reading reactions to it in social medias I get the feeling that I'm the only one who likes how it looks. Just hoping there will still be enough room for the teams to play with.
I think it it looks great too.
"In downforce we trust"

SparkyAMG

The most important thing for me is that although it's a completely different concept to what we've been used to, it's still very clearly an F1 car, and a good looking one at that in my opinion. I'm still torn on the rear wing concept, but if it's there to do a specific job and it results in a better product then I'm not going to complain too much.

I do hope that the rules aren't too prescriptive and that we do get some variation in front wing concepts, sidepod shapes, floors etc.

thestig84

I agree, looks great. Also worried about too much standardisation. Like when the video siad "we have a new sidepod design"....err surely thats for the teams to design?1

Maplesoup

thestig84 wrote:
22 Aug 2019, 18:11
I agree, looks great. Also worried about too much standardisation. Like when the video siad "we have a new sidepod design"....err surely thats for the teams to design?1
I believe sidepods currently have regulated design already to ensure that they look a particular way. Pretty sure aero guys would prefer to have them more square to improve flow control.

I'm sure there will be some wiggle room in the new regulations as well.

Zarathustra

On the second picture the car looks like to be higher of the ground- at the rear, the on the last picture.

If you look closely to the diffuser edge and the ‘brake ducts’ there is a difference in both pictures..

Are they going to use active suspension or movable aero?

strad

Still has a huge snow plow front wing. I'd shrink that by 20%
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

jjn9128

Maplesoup wrote:
22 Aug 2019, 18:18
I believe sidepods currently have regulated design already to ensure that they look a particular way. Pretty sure aero guys would prefer to have them more square to improve flow control.

I'm sure there will be some wiggle room in the new regulations as well.
From what they've previously said I think the sidepod intake area might become the side impact crash structure - replacing the current spars.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Just_a_fan

strad wrote:
22 Aug 2019, 19:37
Perhaps it's required to balance the aero package properly.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

roon

Just_a_fan wrote:
22 Aug 2019, 21:01
strad wrote:
Perhaps it's required to balance the aero package properly.
No, it's not required and we did fine without it for decades. Aero is a lie, a ploy proffered by "aerodynamicists," a made-up word for a made-up profession. Air is only 0.005% of the car weight and they want have us believe that this weighs more than the car just because of a speedometer reading. Well, just think critically about it you msm-grazing sheeple. Air itself is composed of small percentages of small amounts of lightweight stuff, so light in fact that I can't even feel when I push up on the sky, which is MILES tall. It just doesn't add up. As a skeptic all I can say is something stinks. All I can do is say my piece and let others decide what is The Truth. That said, don't say mean things in response to me, and if you disagree well f off.

I agree with strad, they ought to reduce that wing by 20%, except I would add another 100% to that figure just to be safe, aesthetics-wise. Oh and add a speaker in the exhaust so it sounds more motorsporty.

jjn9128 wrote:
22 Aug 2019, 17:34
roon wrote:
22 Aug 2019, 16:19
No word on how prescriptive the regs are.
Not yet. Next F1 rules meeting is in October. Word is though that nothing new has been agreed between teams, and Ferrari are fighting back against "standardization". Rules have to be signed off in October though or it isn't happening in 2021.
I would not be surprised if the Liberty/FIA proposal is not ratified and the current ruleset remains in some form.

JordanMugen

strad wrote:
It's 'required' to direct the air over the front tyres. :wink: Furthermore, the wider front wing is less sensitive to being in turbulent wake compared to a narrow wing, hence why it is specified here and also in Dallara spec series cars.

Of course you could just accept the higher drag of having the front tyres directly in the freestream, but they have chosen not to. Not a big deal IMO... the 2019 front wings look fine, the 2021 front wings will look even better.
MtthsMlw wrote:
Reading reactions to it in social medias I get the feeling that I'm the only one who likes how it looks.
I think it looks great too! Huge improvement on the 2019 cars.

Tombazis and Brawn know what they are doing. I am very confident. Doubters are like those who will criticise Hitchcock's film direction and think they could do it better.
MtthsMlw wrote:
Reading reactions to it in social medias I get the feeling that I'm the only one who likes how it looks.
Of course there will be. =D>

Tombazis says:
The fundamental point of all of this is that we are trying to reduce the losses that the following car would face. The simplification of the leading car’s aerodynamics also helps for wake performance because on the one hand the front car doesn't have as many methods to control its wake. On the other hand the following car, not having all these little, very sensitive devices is less susceptible to disruption.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... TBxtS.html

=D> =D> =D> Utterly superb stuff! Very smart thinking!
Last edited by JordanMugen on 23 Aug 2019, 03:04, edited 2 times in total.

Maplesoup

Shame they haven't stuck with the swept back front wing looks far better than the straight wing.

Just_a_fan

roon wrote:
22 Aug 2019, 21:14
I'll have one of what roon is drinking. That's some good sh1t! :shock:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

AMG.Tzan

I am curious to see the dimensions of the new car...especially the width! Do you believe we are going back to narrow 1800mm cars?? Please no! :?

And what about lap times? Hopefully they stay under 2017 lap times at least...
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

strad

Hopefully they stay under 2017 lap times at least...
I've never understood this obsession with lap times and or top speeds instead of fantastic close racing.
I'd prefer close racing and real passes over a few MPH or ticks on the clock.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss