2009 design concepts

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
pgj
pgj

Re: 2009 design concepts

Here is something that I have been thinking about for a while with regard to future aero developments. I will throw in one or two thoughts to see what you all think. My thinking may be way off the mark, but I will never know unless the ideas are sounded out.

Everyone gets nostalgic when looking at cars of the past. We all like to see smooth lines and curves. We associate curves with good aero dynamic efficiency many of the add-ons and frilly bits on cars are viewed as ugly. My take is that essentially these bits and pieces correct inefficiencies in the basic design of a car. Is there anything that would prevent a designer from incorporating some of the banned bits into the main body structure?

Ogami said earlier in the thread that some areas of the car will be limited through 'tangential curve' regulations. Are there any other areas of the car where smooth curves could disappear to be replaced with something else. My thinking centred around stealth (aircraft) technology. At first sight these aircraft do not appear to be aerodynamically efficient with one or two of them looking as though they would never leave the ground. A lot of development work has recently taken place with the nose area of the car. Is there any scope for 'stealth-lines' to appear in the front area of an F1 car over the next two or three years?

This was what I meant when I talked about exotic lines earlier in the thread. An example might be a wider, flatter nose with some undercutting giving straighter lines rather than curves or with very small curved surfaces.

I am just thinking out loud really.
Williams and proud of it.

modbaraban

Is this one more or less correct for 2009 regs? I don't know who the origilan author is but I made those changes to the front wing.

Also can you tell me if the 2008-style front wing endplates are eligible for 2009?
Like these with fins and all the stuff on the outside:

They may bring a lot more punctures with that wind wing.

cba_

Shouldnt the front wing drop down more?

Scotracer

The front wing will be lower, it will have higher ends of the wing than the centre.

From latest issue of Race Car Engineering:

That's what they will look like.
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

Ogami musashi

The RCE drawings are dead on, the most accurate we have so far.

ISLAMATRON

I predict bridge wings.... unless they are banned.

Ogami musashi

They are banned.

You can only have a outer board upper flaps.

timbo

Interesting that they draw a wider supporting pillars. Logical for a wider wing - maybe will see something like 2001 Sauber setup?

Ogami musashi

Motorsport-total has a nice article with a video and an illustration from BMW on the changes for 2009. Of course nothing new (well maybe in the commentaries of the video..i don't speak german) but at least you can see a cut top view of a F1.08 to 2009 standards which seems neat imho.

http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news ... 02920.html

ISLAMATRON

Interesting thing...

I been thinking of a safety feature that when the front wing is hit in a collision it swings upwards rather than break off and fly off track or gets lodged under the front tires or chassis.

With the new empty center section of the 2009 spec front wing it would be good if it swung upwards rather than fall off. We've seen Nakajima have a pit road accident because he lost steering when the front wing got under his tires. We've seen other accident when the drivers didnt know they had front wing damage and lost all front downforce. If it swung upwards it would avoid both of these dangers.

AeroGT3

Scotracer wrote:The front wing will be lower, it will have higher ends of the wing than the centre.

From latest issue of Race Car Engineering:

That's what they will look like.
YAAAWWWWNNNNNNN

What stupid rules.

Ogami musashi

Another quite interesting feature, Eurosport and williams "The factory".

In the episode 8 you can see some CG and informations on the future FW31.

The video is here (it's in 3 parts)

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/video/301 ... 8-1-3.html

timbo

A small question. Seems like Ferrari-style mirrors would be against 2008 regulations, am I right?

wesley123

Ogami musashi wrote:Another quite interesting feature, Eurosport and williams "The factory".

I see it, that is soooo ugly. Now the racing must be really good, who is going to watch to those ugly 'creatures'?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Ogami musashi

wesley123 wrote:
Ogami musashi wrote:Another quite interesting feature, Eurosport and williams "The factory".

I see it, that is soooo ugly. Now the racing must be really good, who is going to watch to those ugly 'creatures'?
As far as i'm concerned i quite like the new package.
To me it seems more logical from an aerodynamic point of view, the largest device in the front and the section decreasing towards the back end.

The actual cars look boxy to me. I Have the feeling this is a box running not a fine arrow.

That said, i fear that all cars will look the same next year..that sucks.