Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
bosyber

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

Well, not much facts on the Kubica blow up, apart from 'that one is gone' and the smoke, but after yesterday, I think the new spec PU might not have entirely the expected reliability effects.

Marti_EF3

bosyber wrote:
31 Aug 2019, 15:19
Well, not much facts on the Kubica blow up, apart from 'that one is gone' and the smoke, but after yesterday, I think the new spec PU might not have entirely the expected reliability effects.
On TV they said that Kubica issue was from the combustion chamber...

P.S : Was Albert Fabrega who said that

RZS10

Which is an old issue they already had on one of the Racing Point cars iirc

NL_Fer

Idle’s pretty rough. Is it running on 3 cilinders in low power situations?

GhostF1

NL_Fer wrote:
31 Aug 2019, 21:38
Idle’s pretty rough. Is it running on 3 cilinders in low power situations?
I noticed that as well. The idle of the new engine sounds a little bit like the Honda.

bosyber

As someone posted in the race thread, Mercedes didn't use full power quali power after the previous Merc. PU issues; as translated from the original German article AMuS - Ferrari on first row in Spa Francorchamps:
The Mercedes drivers couldn't drive with the usual Q3-mode. After two engine failures in customer teams, for which the cause wasn't established yet, Mercedes chose caution.

godlameroso

The usual Q3 mode wouldn't have made a difference, which is why it wasn't used.
Saishū kōnā

digitalrurouni

So Hamilton asking for more power in the race and then being denied. What's the reason behind that? PU weakness? Concerns?

If I was Mercedes with that much of a lead with some good tracks that favor my machine coming up I would have thrown caution to the wind and cranked the heck out of the PU. Or did they figure even then that wouldn't have been enough to get past the Ferrari?

Big Tea

digitalrurouni wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 02:33
So Hamilton asking for more power in the race and then being denied. What's the reason behind that? PU weakness? Concerns?

If I was Mercedes with that much of a lead with some good tracks that favor my machine coming up I would have thrown caution to the wind and cranked the heck out of the PU. Or did they figure even then that wouldn't have been enough to get past the Ferrari?
I do not think it was getting past that was the problem, although it still would have been a problem, but staying infront once he had passed. If Lewis could not pass with slipstream and DRS, he could not have maintained it as long as the Ferrari was in DRS, probably even when not. The higher modes take more out of the engine not only today, but for the whole life of the unit. 30 seconds used twice today would have been wasted as the Ferrari would be straight back infront, but next race it could be enough to pass and break the tow and be the difference between win and second or third. Also, did you notice Lewis tyres? they did not look good, and once Bottas passed he soon fell away (to 4sec) so would have been an easy pass late in the race anyway. Best take a long view
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

McMika98

digitalrurouni wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 02:33

If I was Mercedes with that much of a lead with some good tracks that favor my machine coming up I would have thrown caution to the wind and cranked the heck out of the PU.
Funny how Merc are crying for power and dominatibg last 5 years of this hybrid era. Gone are the days when they just saved the engine and pumped a fast lap at the end to show off their margin.

I think the whole split turbo concept is the limitation as both Honda and Merc are finding it harder to get the gains. Ferrari and Renault have much bigger turbo and now deliver more power. The few bangs this year is beacuse they have pushed the PU to the limit.

3jawchuck

McMika98 wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 07:25
I think the whole split turbo concept is the limitation as both Honda and Merc are finding it harder to get the gains. Ferrari and Renault have much bigger turbo and now deliver more power.
Does the split turbo concept prescribe a smaller turbo?

Bill

We're do you get Honda is finding hard to find gains you full of bullshit .renault according to saint didn't find any gains with its spec 3 . Honda according to Horner has made noticeable improvements so was spec 2 . Kyvat was set for good results b4 oil leaks even though starting back. Gasly too b4 Vettel screwed again. Max lost 40sec due to crash and 25 seconds due second stop and still scored points.

Jolle

3jawchuck wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 08:19
McMika98 wrote:
I think the whole split turbo concept is the limitation as both Honda and Merc are finding it harder to get the gains. Ferrari and Renault have much bigger turbo and now deliver more power.
In both normal and split turbo concepts, the size of the turbo is limited by how low (of high) you want to place it (just above the driveshaft) while split turbo’s doesn’t have the same kind of limitation for the compressor. So with a split setup you have more room.

McMika98

Jolle wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 17:23
3jawchuck wrote:
McMika98 wrote:
In both normal and split turbo concepts, the size of the turbo is limited by how low (of high) you want to place it (just above the driveshaft) while split turbo’s doesn’t have the same kind of limitation for the compressor. So with a split setup you have more room.
On the contrary i think every team has more or less opted for the H in the V so they all are in similar position axially. The split turbo limits the compressor size and geometry over the normal layout.

Jolle

McMika98 wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 19:28
Jolle wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 17:23
3jawchuck wrote:

On the contrary i think every team has more or less opted for the H in the V so they all are in similar position axially. The split turbo limits the compressor size and geometry over the normal layout.
Why is that? there is nothing blocking the compressor in its way, Mercedes even have an almost dinner plate size compressor. No limits in size, width or trouble with cooling.