2019 Sport Pesa Racing Point F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
sprint car76

Re: 2019 Sport Pesa Racing Point F1 Team - Mercedes

According to crashnet perez deal to stay with racing point just about done. So much for the rumors.

vas_04614

So many updates to improve dwonforce and still they couldn't get out of Q1.

NAPI10

Hungary never suited RP/FI in past but Perez was happy with race performance & overall car speed. It’s a three-part upgrade so new FW & Nose hopes to bring more performance in second half –
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... BsLOn.html

Racer X

https://www.foxsports.com.au/motorsport ... b56f9ac2a0

The media is making it seem like Sergio is threatening to leave RP if they dont deliver him with a car that can challenge for podiums.

But i think what Perez means is that: by 2021 he will be much older and if by then he isnt fighting for podiums then maybe for him Formula 1 wont be a good fit any longer.
Perhaps because he doesn't see the point in just being in F1 just to be in F1.

How ever a driver with such skill and consistent driver qualities like him and Hulk and some other drivers should stay in F1, even if they dont fight for podiums that way we can compare the new young drivers to them.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

sprint car76

This is as far up the ladder perez is going to get. No chance at merc, ferrari,red bull, not even renault. Unfortunately his time has past. Good solid driver but not quite good enough to make it to top teams. His career is nothing to be ashamed of. Made it to F1, drove for some good teams, made it to podium, whats not to like. Interesting part is how long will his new contract be? Now that racing point has money will they shoot for a driver with more star power? Like a vettle or bottas.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

search

any updates on the engine problems in Spa yet?

The drop in performance between Friday and Saturday was fairly large.... so I guess we can expect a penalty for Perez in Monza?! Wouldn't make much sense to run the old engine any longer.

Racer X

search wrote:
04 Sep 2019, 16:23
any updates on the engine problems in Spa yet?

The drop in performance between Friday and Saturday was fairly large.... so I guess we can expect a penalty for Perez in Monza?! Wouldn't make much sense to run the old engine any longer.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merc ... a/4529998/ :

"All six Mercedes-powered cars took the new Phase 3 power unit on Friday morning in Belgium, with the intention of making it to the end of the season with no further changes and thus no penalties.

However, Racing Point's Sergio Perez suffered a failure in FP2, and then Robert Kubica had a different issue in his Williams at the start of qualifying.

Both drivers had to revert to Phase 2 units for the race while the damaged examples were returned to HPP in Brixworth for analysis."__In the Article concerning Perez and Robert
Honestly it was a disappointing event because prior to the engine failure Sergio looked a lot stronger but who knows.

search

yes. And according to AmuS they wanted to take a penalty this weekend, but Mercedes doesn't have any more spec 3 engines available yet. So Perez is stuck with the old one.

Webber2011

search wrote:
06 Sep 2019, 19:22
yes. And according to AmuS they wanted to take a penalty this weekend, but Mercedes doesn't have any more spec 3 engines available yet. So Perez is stuck with the old one.
Aren't Mercedes obliged to supply the same spec they are running to their customer teams ?

Racer X

search wrote:
So the team steps up its game on an Aero side and then boom the engines blow up and now we have an OLD spec Engine with a lot of miles on it. Its so sad being a Racing Point fan but I hope Lance can fight for points and maybe podium.....

Maritimer

Webber2011 wrote:
06 Sep 2019, 21:31
search wrote:
Aren't Mercedes obliged to supply the same spec they are running to their customer teams ?
They already did, that it blew up isnt their issue.

search

I can't remember where I read it, but apparently Mercedes will provide a new engine (once it's available) at no additional costs, at least.

Webber2011

Maritimer wrote:
07 Sep 2019, 02:53
Webber2011 wrote:
06 Sep 2019, 21:31
search wrote:
They already did, that it blew up isnt their issue.
I see that as a little hard to believe.

Mercedes surely have a contract to supply all their customers with the exact same PU they are using.
When a nice, shiny, brand new one goes BANG :o :o

Unless it is one hundred percent the customer who caused the problem in some way, then I would have thought it actually is a Mercedes issue.
And they would have to supply another to the same spec.

Has anything been reported as to whether it was the team, or the engine supplier who caused the blow up.

search

They will get a new engine. I think it's not totally unreasonable to believe that they had only 6 of them available at the same time

edit: and with the potential reliability issues, I'd say it made sense to stop the production process (to get more of them) for a couple of days