Williams FW42

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
tomazy

Re: Williams FW42

humble sabot wrote:
30 Aug 2019, 07:50
Weird! Spoon wings usually show up more as high downforce variants. RB's is almost dead straight for Spa. But Merc is also running a more aggressive wing, so there might be some method to the madness. If I were to hazard a guess I might be able to come up with a reasoning for Williams, as they've struggled with balance and consistency and have nothing to lose in the standings, taking a hit on Vmax, might not bother them so much.

It's hard to tell for sure, but the floor appears to be revised.
It is a lower downforce wing. With the spoon shape, they can have the same support and drs actuator as on the high DF wing, but the ends have less angle of attack and drag.

Morteza

Monza
Via AMuS
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

ScrewCaptain27

Morteza wrote:
04 Sep 2019, 18:20
Monza
https://imgr1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/W ... 625277.jpg
Via AMuS
That’s a LOT of wing. It’s a really draggy car too...
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

lio007

ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
04 Sep 2019, 18:56
Morteza wrote:
Monza
Via AMuS
Pretty hard to believe they will race this RW

piast9

I think that is the wing that Kubica raced in Spa. His wing was changed after the Q1 fire to the one like in this photo. Here is the Kubica's pit-stop from Spa: https://twitter.com/WilliamsRacing/stat ... 4550821888

ScrewCaptain27

Williams FW42

lio007 wrote:
ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
Morteza wrote:
Monza
Via AMuS
Looks like they may indeed run a lot of wing:
PH Albert Fábrega
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

Holm86

Maybe they're going all in on a rainy sunday???

Francesc

They don't have the resources to build a Monza specific wing.

bosyber

But with that wing, combined with an apparently draggy car, they might even struggle to make the 107% on Saturday, I'd think. Well, we will see.

bill shoe

HRT, in their last season, showed up at Monza with precisely the same rear wing they had used all season. It was a typical "max out the box" wing. They were slow but not over 107% of pole.

Williams are doing the right thing by focusing on long-term car performance improvement rather than a one-off aero package. Of course, this gives me more respect for all the other teams that do use their scarce resources to make one-off aero packages.

Ashwinv16

ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
05 Sep 2019, 13:39
lio007 wrote:
ScrewCaptain27 wrote:

Looks like they may indeed run a lot of wing:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201909 ... 056eba.jpg
PH Albert Fábrega
Lot of team banking on a rainy Sunday
Halo not as bad as we thought

netoperek

Quick update from Robert's part of the garage. He got a new steering wheel finally. Done in usual (for the last couple of years) Williams fashion - when asked if its of any help, he replied "it probably would, if it was the one that i asked for" #-o :lol:
He's also driving with a drive train he got after his engine blew up in Belgium, which isn't a new spec. Robert wasn't very happy about it to be frank. He said that he can't quite understand why he is still getting old specs, though he admitted that probably it isn't entirely Williams fault. I haven't seen any real confirmation from Williams for engine differences between GR and RK, and it somewhat confirms what have been speculated. Pity that even after engine failure he can't get an upgrade :(

Morteza

netoperek wrote:
07 Sep 2019, 10:36
Quick update from Robert's part of the garage. He got a new steering wheel finally. Done in usual (for the last couple of years) Williams fashion - when asked if its of any help, he replied "it probably would, if it was the one that i asked for" #-o :lol:
He's also driving with a drive train he got after his engine blew up in Belgium, which isn't a new spec. Robert wasn't very happy about it to be frank. He said that he can't quite understand why he is still getting old specs, though he admitted that probably it isn't entirely Williams fault. I haven't seen any real confirmation from Williams for engine differences between GR and RK, and it somewhat confirms what have been speculated. Pity that even after engine failure he can't get an upgrade :(
Moved a lot of the buttons to the left side. Here are the photos for comparsion

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Morteza

A better shot of Robert's new steering wheel

Sevach

Given that Robert uses the same hand for up shifts and down shifts i wonder when he finds the time to press buttons.