General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Wouter

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Monza FP2 with the new engines for Gasly and Max. Kvyat and Albon I don't know. Spec 3 on Friday?

https://twitter.com/HondaRacingF1/statu ... 5388931073
The Power of Dreams!

Alexf1

As long as Honda top management hasnt given the go ahead for 2021 onwards I presume maximum focus is on keeping spec 4 as fresh as possible for Suzuka. My guess is we will see spec3 return for at least 1 race before Suzuka

Bill

The way I see it Honda want to stay in f1 but just waiting for new regulations

Marti_EF3

A win at Suzuka would help anyway. Take a PU on Sochi and run full power till the end. Doesn't matter if the PU only lasts 1 or 2 GP. Winning at Suzuka is best than that. Same for STR. All 4 Honda powered cars, for a glory race PU at Japan. :lol:

Sieper

Bill wrote:
06 Sep 2019, 19:07
And they also want Some influence in the decision making, in 2014 it went the Mercedes way. So FIA cannot just listen to one team, they need to convince others it is worthwhile as well.

ispano6

A noticeable difference for Max on Spec4.
“Around Monza, the real lap time is hard to see because of the tow but my fastest lap was done on my own and it felt good. I definitely think this new engine is a good step forward and you can feel the extra power which is positive.
https://www.crash.net/f1/news/928596/1/ ... ep-forward

Zynerji

Sieper wrote:
06 Sep 2019, 20:03
Bill wrote:
06 Sep 2019, 19:07
And they also want Some influence in the decision making, in 2014 it went the Mercedes way. So FIA cannot just listen to one team, they need to convince others it is worthwhile as well.
I believe the 2014 engine regs were Renault pushed. Merc just found a better way of extracting the performance.

Alexf1

Renault pushed the concept most, Therefore Mercedes only had to be in favour. Mercedes pushed the 6 instead of 4 cylinder ICE variant which they had been developing for a looooong time. No other manufacturer had such a mature power unit back then. Let alone the advanced 'diesel' combustion technique. And the more cylinders with that advantage the better.

izzy

Alexf1 wrote:
07 Sep 2019, 07:46
Renault pushed the concept most, Therefore Mercedes only had to be in favour. Mercedes pushed the 6 instead of 4 cylinder ICE variant which they had been developing for a looooong time. No other manufacturer had such a mature power unit back then. Let alone the advanced 'diesel' combustion technique. And the more cylinders with that advantage the better.
Ferrari refused to do a 4 cylinder, none of them wanted it. Mercedes thought about it best, Ferrari did a normal sized turbo, Renault were too small and Honda after looking at the Mercedes unit for a year decided to go with a miniturbo 🤔

But now they're all converging and great mates, F1 is a huge love-in among the OEMs, Honda will have as much of a voice as any of them.

PlatinumZealot

izzy wrote:
07 Sep 2019, 09:15
Alexf1 wrote:
Ferrari refused to do a 4 cylinder, none of them wanted it. Mercedes thought about it best, Ferrari did a normal sized turbo, Renault were too small and Honda after looking at the Mercedes unit for a year decided to go with a miniturbo 🤔

But now they're all converging and great mates, F1 is a huge love-in among the OEMs, Honda will have as much of a voice as any of them.
The Ferrari was also too small. The turbine side. The spent many a token to alleviate that.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

izzy

PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 21:00
izzy wrote:

The Ferrari was also too small. The turbine side. The spent many a token to alleviate that.
Yes and it was the next year before Ferrari could catch up wasn't it, but they did realise and fix it. But in the beginning it was all about Mercedes people, and nobody else, reading about mguH to K being unlimited, realising this could mean generating all over the track, and thinking "Mertrux baby!!" :)

Wouter

Jos Verstappen told yesterday on TV that Max can fight for the win in Singapore, USA, Brazil, Suzuka and Mexico.
He also said that there will be another engine change.
It would be strange in Abu Dhabi, so only Sochi is left.
@Wazari has always talked about a change in Sochi. So that could all be true. So wait and see.

He also said: " There was something with Max during the race that prevented him from achieving the required top speed and the expected RPM. However, that has been solved for the next race. "
The Power of Dreams!

Marti_EF3

Wouter wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 08:43
Jos Verstappen told yesterday on TV that Max can fight for the win in Singapore, USA, Brazil, Suzuka and Mexico.
He also said that there will be another engine change.
It would be strange in Abu Dhabi, so only Sochi is left.
@Wazari has always talked about a change in Sochi. So that could all be true. So wait and see.

He also said: " There was something with Max during the race that prevented him from achieving the required top speed and the expected RPM. However, that has been solved for the next race. "
That should be some mapping issue then. Better to have all that issues now, and be well prepared for next year.

63l8qrrfy6

izzy wrote:
Alexf1 wrote:

Yes, I think VW were the only ones pushing for a 4 pot.
A bit like AM and Porsche asking to bin the MGUH with no real intention of joining F1.

NL_Fer

izzy wrote:
Alexf1 wrote:

I remember Mercedes to be in favor of a 4 cilinder concept also, afterall the current 2.0 powering the A45 and S-class was in development already. But probably engineers calculated the advantages of the split turbo and Mercedes switched sides and chose for a V6 also.

Also the 2014 Renault powerunit was not that bad, better than Scuderia and made Redbull 2nd WCC. They lost it in 2015 when Ferrari and Merc started to push eachother and introduced Jet Ignition and oil burning.

For 2021 Honda just wants a development freeze, al 4 are becoming more equal and harder to find any gains. A freeze will save al 4 money.