Bugatti breaks 300 mph barrier with a modified Chiron

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
loner

Re: Bugatti breaks 300 mph barrier with a modified Chiron

YAWN
wake me up when we have a Nuclear hydrogen powerd hovercars.
para bellum.

Andres125sx

RZS10 wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 15:47
santos wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 10:56
RZS10 wrote:
02 Sep 2019, 22:27
I wonder if VW threw money at that one off car to beat Koenigsegg to 300 (who will do it with a series production car in the Jesko eventually) after Koenigsegg embarassed them with the Agera RS runs shortly after VW made a big deal out of their 0-400-0 time with the Chiron Sport :lol:
There's a difference. The Bugatti made it's run almost at sea level. Koenigsegg did it in Nevada, at a higher altitude where there's less drag.
yea that's true but also irrelevant ...

Bugatti did their run on the Ehra Lessien track in (what appeared to be) perfect conditions ... 90-100 meters above sea level.
0-400 ... 32.6 s
400-0 ... 9.3 s
0-400-0 ... 41.96 s ... 3112 m

After that run Volkswagen announced they'd go for the top speed world record in 2018, saying this run was just a first step in showing the exceptional, unrivaled position the car had among the world of high performance cars.

Koenigsegg did their initial run on a dusty low grip runway of the Business Park Vandel in Denmark ... 71 meters above sea level.
0-400 ... 26.88 s (-5.72s ; 17.5% faster)
400-0 ... 9.56 s (a tiny bit worse)
0-400-0 ... 36.44 s ... 2441 m (-5.52s and -671m ; 13.16% faster and 21.56% shorter)

That run already humiliated VW merely a month after their pompous press release.

Pulverizing the record in the Nevada run on a dusty piece of public road another month later was just the icing on the cake.
0-400 ... 24 s ... 1740.2 m (-8.6s and -888m ; 26% faster and 33% shorter)
400-0 ... 9.29 s ... 499.3 m (the same)
0-400-0 ... 33.29 s ... 2239,5 m (-8.67s and -872.5m ; 20.7% faster and 28% shorter)

They also did their (still standing) world record of 278mph (reaching 285mph in one direction) there.

Anyone good at math/physics correct me if i'm wrong but at the same temperature the drag difference for a car like the Agera RS at 100m and 1000m above sea level would maybe be around 10% and some of that would be negated by a potential loss of power, right?

Anyways ... after that VW never even attempted their boastfully announced high speed run - i believe this purpose built, heavily modified Chiron might be their reaction to that slap in the face they received back then.
Humiliated... snap in the face.... might you calm down and keep some respecto to those who have been breaking several top speed world records in last years? If someone beats them after that, that´s far from humiliatting mate, both are world speed records.

How many companies do you know who have achieved some? If Bugatti have been humiliatted, should all the rest of car manufacturers retire from the business as they´ve never own any record?

Pyrone89

Anyone else's OCD acting up that they didnt make 500 kph? :mrgreen:
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

RZS10

Andres125sx wrote:
04 Sep 2019, 07:52
mimimi
Stop getting your panties in a bunch man...

I don't even know what kind of twisted r-word 'logic' you employed to come up with the second sentence ...
No - you don't need any world records to be in the car business ... wtf ...??

"Humiliated" and "pulverized" was used by the media back then.
Given by how much their record was broken (20% faster at 72% of the distance) those words are very fitting.

Let me quote Grosjean after Haas (2017 engine) was outqualified by Sauber (2016 engine) in Mexico 2017:
"So I think today is a bit of a slap in the face, a wake up call, and we need to put our head down and try and understand [...] We know how much horsepower we have compared to Sauber and they are in front of us. It shows we need to do things better."

"Slap in the face" is a harmless expression which means 'an unexpected affront' - given the pretentious PR and conceited accouncement of their plans (as the biggest car maker) to go for more records (the aim was 450kph) only to be stopped in their tracks by 'some small swedish manufacturer' it's also very fitting and if you'd ask the people involved in the project how it felt back then the less stuck up would say it felt like ... yep ... exactly that.

Main point is that i believe that once they saw they would not be able to beat the Agera RS with the standard Chiron (i think it's even fair to assume they tried) they sat down, got Dallara and Michelin onboard and built this car to reach 300mph which, don't get me wrong, is an astonishing engineering achievement.

They will very likely turn that prototype into some kind of "speed" variant of the Chiron, however repeating what they did now will be challenging once they put all the weight back in and make the car road legal, additionally they'd have to run in both directions to make it count but they essentially said that they're done with those high speed runs since they've proven once and for all that they build the fastest cars:
"Dies war das letzte Mal für uns. Als Erster, der die 300 Meilen pro Stunde übertrifft, hat Bugatti seinen Namen in die Geschichtsbücher geschrieben – das bleibt für immer. Wir haben mehrfach gezeigt, dass wir die schnellsten Autos der Welt bauen." - Stephan Winkelmann, President of Bugatti Automobiles

Rough translation: "That's the last time for us. Bugatti put their name into the history books by being first to go faster than 300mph - this will stay forever. We've repeatedly shown that we build the fastest cars in the world"

Funnily enough almost none of that is true.

The Veyron wasn't the fastest car in the world for most of it's time being in production.
The Chiron was never the fastest car in the world.

Obviously this wasn't the first motor vehicle to hit 300, that's why they use some clever language in their PR, speaking about this being the first car by a series manufacturer to reach that speed.

And they have to say that because they're not even the first to reach 300 with a tuned/modified version of a production car - in March this year some positively crazy nutjobs took their 2000hp+ Ford GT to 300.4 mph.

I wonder if the focus of SSC, Hennessey and Koenigsegg now shifted from 300mph to 500kph.

Holm86 wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 09:01
Its very impressive how stable and calm the Bugatti is, I remember the Koenigsegg as being very loud, and all over the road on their record run.
That would partially be down to the difference in road surface quality of a purpose built high speed test track in perfect condition and some highway in the USA... also different sound engineering in edit, most raw onboard footage of the Chiron is louder than this run.

Pyrone89 wrote:
04 Sep 2019, 11:49
Anyone else's OCD acting up that they didnt make 500 kph? :mrgreen:
The tyres were tested for 511 kph so there's nothing stopping them ... just tune the engine a little bit more :lol:

Just_a_fan

It's interesting to think back to 1935 when Campbell became the first person ever to travel at 300mph in a car. That was the aero-engined monster, Blue Bird, and needed a special breed of person to attempt it. Today, a road car can do that in leather-lined air conditioned comfort, carrying two people. Quite something when you think about the basics of the achievement.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Andres125sx

RZS10 wrote:
04 Sep 2019, 14:40

"Humiliated" and "pulverized" was used by the media back then.
So you were just making yours some sensationalistic media BS, what a great argument #-o

RZS10 wrote:
"Slap in the face" is a harmless expression
No it´s not. As you know english is not my native language, so I did a search to be sure before posting, and this is what I found
Slap in the face: An insult, esp. when it comes as a surprise
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/es/dic ... -the-face

Here a different one, to validate
https://www.macmillandictionary.com/dic ... n-the-face

RZS10 wrote:
Obviously this wasn't the first motor vehicle to hit 300, that's why they use some clever language in their PR, speaking about this being the first car by a series manufacturer to reach that speed.

Funnily enough, it´s actually you who´s using some clever language to deny their achievement, using vehicle instead of car. They´re a car manufacturer, so they obviosly use the word car. That´s not clever language, that´s a perfectly normal statement from a car manufacturer who has built some record breaking cars

RZS10 wrote:
The Veyron wasn't the fastest car in the world for most of it's time being in production.
More clever language from someone who make a fuss about clever language used by others :roll: to avoid accepting it was the fastest car in the world when it was released. Then it was beaten, yeah what a surprise, as any other record, records are to be broken, but that does not reduce the achivement of the previous

I really don´t care about who own the record RZS, it´s only that I don´t like when people put down others work with no reason.

It´s the same as when someone joke about those who, while fighting for a world title, can´t take it. As if fighting for a world title was something anyone can do so not acomplishing deserve mocking. Just reaching that position deserves tons of praise. Mocking the second is something only someone who has never fought for anything will do, as he has no idea how difficult is reaching that position and be able to fight for a world record. Fighting for a world record means they´re one of the best in the world, if that does not deserve some praise and respect I don´t know what else it takes

But Bugatti broke some records, like it or not they´ve been the best in the world no matter for how long, and even so you use terms as slap in the face and humilitatted. Sorry but IMHO they deserve some more respect, specially from a F1T member who obviously enjoy motorsport, technology, speed, and competition. Discreditting someone because his world record was broken is IMHO extremelly childish mate, sorry but that´s how I feel it, and can´t understand your efforts to put them down sincerely :?:

Anycase this was more than enough, I´ll not post in this thread anymore

RZS10

Andres125sx wrote:
04 Sep 2019, 19:33
blablabla
You should really stop trying to nitpick people's word choices when you don't know the language well enough to understand what people even try to say.

Unless you're just here to argue, then to get your aforementioned panties in a bunch which leads you to downvote others because they disagreed with you once in another topic ... lol ... i'll humour you one last time then:

You google an idiom and then insist on it being an insult when the context decides whether it is one ... a POSSIBLE synonym for that phrase is 'insult', that doesn't mean it literally is an insult ... in this case it's a figure of speech for "they were beaten with a large margin" ... Grosjean (who according to you insulted, himself? Haas? Ferrari's engines?) used it to describe what happened to them in Mexico ... they were beaten by someone they expected to perform worse... (which might be the case here as well, K being the underdog B did not expect to perform that well)

So in short:
K. beating B.'s record might feel like an insult to them.
Me describing what happened as them figuratively receiving a 'slap in the face' - not an insult.

I used 'motor vehicle' because that includes all kind of record breaking vehicles that aren't really a 'car' (like those rocket shaped jet engine powered things they use in the desert) - then there's the tuned Ford GT ... which is a car ... but the specific one that broke the 300mph barrier wasn't made by "a series manufacturer" but instead just by a few people who use it for drag racing.

That's the clever language part - them being the first "series manufacturer" to go faster than 300mph because they weren't the first ever in general and not the first with a car based on a series production car.

I literally wrote "which [...] is an astonishing engineering achievement." which kinda makes it clear that i appreciate/respect their engineers for their ingenuity and skill (?) it's their grandiose announcements and PR that's silly.
Last edited by RZS10 on 06 Sep 2019, 12:06, edited 1 time in total.

hollus

Are we in grammar class?
Get a room, guys. Or just play nice.
Rivals, not enemies.

humble sabot

I'm legit impressed they actually managed it.
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

sosic2121

To me, this is final testament to the Veyron failure.

Car made to shatter all records beaten by small Swedish company.

Bugatti PR office worked really hard to describe how magnificent their achievement really is.

etusch

Some cars aiming record in nürburgring and some on straights.

Last edited by etusch on 07 Sep 2019, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.

Rodak

That's pretty fast but they have a ways to go....

From 'DigitalTrends.com':
You’d expect a car called Turbinator II to be fast. Sure enough, the bullet-shaped race car hit 482.646 mph at the Bonneville Salt Flats in September 2018, setting a new world record for the fastest wheel-driven vehicle. But that wasn’t good enough for the car’s creators, Team Vesco. The team recently went back to Bonneville and achieved 503.332 mph.
Seeing motorcycles doing 180 mph through traffic....

strad

Not sure what your point is Rodak. The Vesco machine is a far cry from anything production.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Joe7218

strad wrote:
07 Sep 2019, 23:58
Not sure what your point is Rodak. The Vesco machine is a far cry from anything production.
This Chiron wasnt exactly production either, although closer to a production model than the Vesco machine

Just_a_fan

sosic2121 wrote:
05 Sep 2019, 12:30
To me, this is final testament to the Veyron failure.
Veyron? :wtf:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.