2019 Renault F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Capharol

Re: 2019 Renault F1 Team

a few details on the DR contract between Ricciardo and Renault F1 (from Twitter)
1. they promised him the racing car which he wins a GP with

2. among others, a one off fee for a GP win

3. being in the Netflix show "drive to survive" and being ambassador of Huawei

sorry coudn't get them smaller somehow

sn809

If anyone thinks a driver can win a championship without team support, then they have no idea how the sport has been running last 5 yrs. Rosberg only won after Merc unofficially backed him over Hamilton. Ham tried his best but due to engine failure, poorer strategy with pit stops could not manage etc.

diffuser

Wow! All the long kneives were out last weekend. No praise this weekend ? That's a little weak ?

zack!

seems to be that prost announced chassis update for singapour, and hulk looked like to confirm on ITW on Sky TV. Not sure, some can confirm ?

SmallSoldier

Congratulations are in order for the Renault team, one of their best races in a long time and probably their best 2 car finish?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scorpaguy

diffuser wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 17:28
Wow! All the long kneives were out last weekend. No praise this weekend ? That's a little weak ?
Cyril starting to hit his stride! Watch out RB :lol:

Jambier

Finally!

This is exactly the performance they should make every race this year

Now they have to figure out why the car is only good on fast track.
I fear in Singapore problems will be back

Blackout

Jambier wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 18:14
Finally!

carisi2k wrote:
01 Sep 2019, 05:27
This was one qualifying and the Renault was still 2 seconds off the ferrari if I am not mistaken. Where has the RS19 been the rest of the year especially vs the Mclaren?
It was 1.7s against Ferrari in Spa Q3 vs over 2s in 2018 in Q1 (Q1 elimination)
In monza it's 0.5s in 2019 vs almost 2s in 2018.

Jambier wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 16:30
The Renault is a bit like the Ferrari: Strong on low downforce track.
I expect this again in Monza then struggle again.

So they are proud to be close to Red Bull on track like this, but rest of the time they are extremely slow

And I expect Racing Point with their evolution to be ahead soon, despite a weaker line up
The car is not bad on medium and high DF tracks. It obviously likes straight lines but it's good/decent on most types of turns.
Its real enemy is the very high track temps IMO. If we had lower tempratures in Austria, Germany and even in the 'straightlineless' Hungary (40°, for example, instead of 55+), the car would have performed much better IMO... Those tracks suited the car well on paper...
In Silverstone the performances were (very) good despite the predominance of fast and medium speed curves... and in germany it was fast on the colder wet and dry conditions.

In Singapore it should be decent, if the conditions arent too hot, because it's fast on the slow corners...

carisi2k

This was a good test of the PU and Monza showed that the Renault PU is stronger this year compared to last which is why they are only 0.5 seconds off to the Ferrari in qualifying which did surprise me although there was that farcical q3 finish. I will admit it was good to see Daniel in P4 and I am sure Daniel will enjoy those 12 points but it also still shows how far they have to go to get to the top 3 cars.

Neno

This kind of results should have being a norm, not exceptions. And that's frustrating. This car in reality works on 3 tracks out 21. That means Renault build a car which 14% of time works every time. Yes I am alluding to movie Anchorman here. And sadly Enstone and their group in charge of car design and development really feels like that.

But let congrats Renault on doing what they were supposed to be doing whole year. Either way hope this encourages Renault to keep investing and replaces people who dont deserve designing car with those who do.

Because otherwise this will be uphill battle with a lot of money spend and not much to show it for.

JordanMugen

Neno wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 01:14
This kind of results should have being a norm, not exceptions. And that's frustrating. This car in reality works on 3 tracks out 21. That means Renault build a car which 14% of time works every time. Yes I am alluding to movie Anchorman here. And sadly Enstone and their group in charge of car design and development really feels like that.
An excellent analysis from Abiteboul:
Just like we knew a good result was available here, because we know the car has a good top speed, and we know the car is extremely competitive in slow corners, which is a little bit the situation here. There are a couple of medium to high-speed corners, but you are not losing a lot of time here when you are not competitive. We still know where our weakness and strengths are and we need to work on that harder.
https://au.motorsport.com/f1/news/renau ... t/4535229/

Hulkenberg is pleased too:
I think this track obviously suits us or hides our weakness maybe more and brings forward the good side of our power unit. I think that's the reason we are competitive this weekend.
Great stuff and a great result!

dtro

Scorpaguy wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 18:13
diffuser wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 17:28
Cyril starting to hit his stride! Watch out RB :lol:
Saw the emoji- recognized sarcasm- avoided embarrassment :)

GPR-A

Jambier wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 18:14
Finally!

Remember the Williams from 2014? It was a skiddy car through straights and fully utilized the Mercedes power.

Renault has a good PU in terms of power, but mostly unreliable. When it does run without any issues, it helps the cars perform well. Like RB did in the past and McLaren is doing this year. The problem with the Renault Chassis is, they have too much of drag when they bolt downforce. It's not like there is a great deal of downforce, for whatever little it is, comes with at a big expense of drag. So, it's easy to strip all the downforce (eliminating large amount of drag) on a track like Monza and then go fast with the a good PU, but luckily, reliable through the weekend.

The performance on other aero dependent tracks, requires large amount of downforce at as minimum drag as possible. Due to lack of good downforce, they are unable to work the tyres in the right window for longer duration. Renault finds it difficult on these circuits to perform. They need some really good aero guys to help them build a good chassis. For too long now, they are making bad chassis and PU hasn't been reliable either.

dans79

Does anyone else see the irony in Prost making these statements?

https://www.grandprix.com/news/hulkenbe ... prost.html
Renault ousted Nico Hulkenberg because he is too "pessimistic" and "negative".

That is the claim of Renault advisor and F1 legend Alain Prost, as he explained why the French works team has instead signed up fellow Frenchman Esteban Ocon for 2020.
"We don't want pessimistic drivers, which is why we opted for Ocon," Prost told Sky Italia.
197 104 103 7

JordanMugen

dans79 wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 15:49
Does anyone else see the irony in Prost making these statements?
Yes, it is amusing! :lol: