Porsche Taycan

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Morteza

Porsche Taycan

So Porsche finally unveiled the the final and production version of their first fully electric car. It comes in two variants, Taycan Turbo and Taycan Turbo S. Tycan Turbo starts at around $151,000 with Taycan Turbo S having a base price of $185,000. Both cars can make up to 616 horsepower for 10 continuous seconds, and both offer “overboost” functions, with the Turbo capable of a 2.5-second continuous output of 670 horsepower and 626 lb-ft of torque and the Turbo S making a whopping 750 horsepower and 774 lb-ft for that short duration. This allows the the Turbo and Turbo S to achieve zero to 60 mph times of 3.0 seconds and 2.6 seconds, and quarter mile times of 11.1 and 10.8 seconds, respectively. More information with a lot of details here

In these photos, the white car is Turbo S and the blue one is the Turbo model

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Holm86

Re: Porsche Taycan

It's exciting to finally see a real automaker give a try at a Tesla competitor.
The Taycan looks really nice, but im not a fan of the all touch interior, its a pain to operate while driving.

And im amazed that Porsche of all would give an electric car the "Turbo" badge #-o #-o #-o

Just_a_fan

The Turbo badge is pure marketing because it matches the hierarchy of the rest of their range. The "overboost" feature is likewise marketing. There is no boost to "over", of course, but it's something that non-tech buyers can understand / brag about in the pub.

It's funny how many car buyers don't have a clue about the oily parts. There was a survey of BMW 1-series buyers in the UK a few years ago. Something like 80% thought the car was front wheel drive. The 1-series is of course rear wheel drive (except for one version in China) and BMW make much of the dynamics of rear wheel drive. All of it wasted on the typical car buyer who looks at the badge, the price and the toys. :lol: :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Holm86

Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 11:15
The Turbo badge is pure marketing because it matches the hierarchy of the rest of their range. The "overboost" feature is likewise marketing. There is no boost to "over", of course, but it's something that non-tech buyers can understand / brag about in the pub.

It's funny how many car buyers don't have a clue about the oily parts. There was a survey of BMW 1-series buyers in the UK a few years ago. Something like 80% thought the car was front wheel drive. The 1-series is of course rear wheel drive (except for one version in China) and BMW make much of the dynamics of rear wheel drive. All of it wasted on the typical car buyer who looks at the badge, the price and the toys. :lol: :lol:
I know its just marketing, and I would a company like Kia or Hyundai to take advantage of the situation you're talking about :-D Porsche had all means to come up with some catchy electric term for the EV's, also to seperate them from the petrol powered models ....

Jolle

looks like with the general shape and design, they can evolve it into a 2 door coupe next year :D

digitalrurouni

I think that's a monumental machine that Porsche has brought around that measures up to its usual standards of all around build quality, technology, performance, etc.

I have to still doff the proverbial cap to Tesla because in my eyes it's still a bit ahead in terms of what really matters to the end consumer - real world usage. Range for example is better on the Tesla models. Price is another thing that's better. Also their Autopilot and the Full Self Driving option though not perfect are other options that are incredibly appealing.

I get it the Porsche Taycan can be floored all day long but apparently so can the Model 3. I am not sure about the 'Raven' version of the Model S.

I personally am looking to get a Model 3 Performance in Q1 of 2020. I really don't need the Performance version but why the heck not. I test drove it and contrary to all expectations I had I really enjoyed it. The interior though incredibly spartan was actually a very relaxing place to be. I did not see any paint issues or panel gap issues either.

What Porsche has done is very impressive with Nurburgring lap times etc. Heck even Elon and Nico Rosberg are trying to attempt a ring lap time according to the banter on twitter. Exciting times ahead! I look forward to more car manufacturers jumping on to the electric bandwagon but in my eyes Tesla still ahead of the game.

SmallSoldier

With the technology out there now for several years, I would have expected someone like Porsche to bring a car that would be unrivaled, especially in terms of performance.

Not considering the looks, they seem to have brought a car that doesn’t surpass the Tesla cars... Performance, Features and Range are the 3 aspects that not only a Porsche (but also a higher price tag) should have been “Top of the Class” and that’s not what we are getting.

It is great to see them get into the EV realm though and hopefully others will follow them and we could really have improvements moving forward through the development that established car manufactures could bring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jolle

SmallSoldier wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 20:23
With the technology out there now for several years, I would have expected someone like Porsche to bring a car that would be unrivaled, especially in terms of performance.

Not considering the looks, they seem to have brought a car that doesn’t surpass the Tesla cars... Performance, Features and Range are the 3 aspects that not only a Porsche (but also a higher price tag) should have been “Top of the Class” and that’s not what we are getting.

It is great to see them get into the EV realm though and hopefully others will follow them and we could really have improvements moving forward through the development that established car manufactures could bring.

Hmmm, I don’t agree, Porsche never been the performance on paper type of brand, it’s much more about drivability. And that is exactly what they are claiming now.

SmallSoldier

Jolle wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Hmmm, I don’t agree, Porsche never been the performance on paper type of brand, it’s much more about drivability. And that is exactly what they are claiming now.
I would argue that Porsche is a synonym of performance... And that’s that they cars have always aimed for... Even in the SUV space, the Cayenne Turbo is the leader in the segment, the Panamera Turbo is also leader in it’s segment... That’s not considering the 911 in their different performance configurations.

Cold Fussion

SmallSoldier wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 21:02
I would argue that Porsche is a synonym of performance... And that’s that they cars have always aimed for... Even in the SUV space, the Cayenne Turbo is the leader in the segment, the Panamera Turbo is also leader in it’s segment... That’s not considering the 911 in their different performance configurations.

And none of those cars having leading power figures in their segment; but if i were a betting man, I would say the Taycan will be the leader in driving dynamics in its segment. Looking at the ring time it is only something like 10-15s away from the time a Carrera GT achieved 10 or so years ago, and this is a 2200kg 4 door electric saloon.

alexx_88

It's a 2200kg 4-door saloon. Realistically, tracking a $180,000 pig of a car isn't high on the priority list for most customers. I'd say range is more important than whether or not it can do 10 or 20 0-100km/h launches without going into limp mode.

But yes, I fully agree with a previous poster. Everyone (in my circles at least) was talking about how Tesla with their tiny R&D budgets will be destroyed once the traditional manufacturers cast their eyes at the EV market. Porsche has done it and instead of offering just a better Model S for the same price (base model that they promised), they went all out with a car that's almost 2x more expensive and, frankly, not that impressive when you factor in what a car startup from California was able to do.

santos

alexx_88 wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 12:12
It's a 2200kg 4-door saloon. Realistically, tracking a $180,000 pig of a car isn't high on the priority list for most customers. I'd say range is more important than whether or not it can do 10 or 20 0-100km/h launches without going into limp mode.

But yes, I fully agree with a previous poster. Everyone (in my circles at least) was talking about how Tesla with their tiny R&D budgets will be destroyed once the traditional manufacturers cast their eyes at the EV market. Porsche has done it and instead of offering just a better Model S for the same price (base model that they promised), they went all out with a car that's almost 2x more expensive and, frankly, not that impressive when you factor in what a car startup from California was able to do.
But that is the one from Porsche… The Macan costs more than an Audi Q5 and they are very related. Audi will have almost the same car, with the price aimed at Tesla.

Andres125sx

SmallSoldier wrote:

Maybe you´re using Tesla numbers as a reference for standard cars, but they´re not. Ignore Tesla, according to the first site I´ve seen providing quarter mile numbers, GT3 depending if manual or automatic takes 11.5 or 11.1 seconds. This Taycan takes 11.1 or 10.8 seconds
To me that´s "top of the class", even if more manufacturers are matching those numbers.

Actually, according to this site the only Porche to go below 11 seconds before this Taycan is the Turbo model, on any of its versions (10.9/10.6), but that´s around 50% more expensive than GT3 or Taycan, so a different category. And Taycan S is beating one of those glorified Turbos! :shock:

RZS10

Nice car ... shame they completely botched the official reveal (sound issues etc)

Andres125sx

alexx_88 wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 12:12
not that impressive when you factor in what a car startup from California was able to do.
Sorry but... Tesla a car startup from California? Ok, technically yes, but I don´t think any company founded by same person as Paypal or SpaceX should really be defined as a startup

Startups are usually small companies with few money to invest on R&D. Elon Musk might be missing lots of things, but money is far from one of them. He´s fighting against NASA with SpaceX! :wtf: Sure he can fight agains Porsche too :P