[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2019 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
LVDH

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2019 (Grand Prix Cars)

Thomas2019 wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 10:31
Yes, I will drop him an email. No need to run the car again. Those CPU hours can be saved.

Thomas
No problem.

Those Pure Power renders are really nice, I have to put them on the homepage, Yesterday I already had a chance to look at the WWI car. It looks amazing, great CAD skills as well, it is a sculpture. Lets see how fast it is.
And there is a submission from JJR this time. The fight for the top position should be epic. I cannot wait. Variante pulled his deadline extension, so he is probably also up to something.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 10:40
Thomas2019 wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 10:31
Yes, I will drop him an email. No need to run the car again. Those CPU hours can be saved.

Thomas
No problem.

Those Pure Power renders are really nice, I have to put them on the homepage, Yesterday I already had a chance to look at the WWI car. It looks amazing, great CAD skills as well, it is a sculpture. Lets see how fast it is.
And there is a submission from JJR this time. The fight for the top position should be epic. I cannot wait. Variante pulled his deadline extension, so he is probably also up to something.
WWI = First World War? Is it a new entry?

LVDH

I guess shortening it to WWInc. as the designer does is better. Wind Wizzards Incorporated. Very nice car. I forgot under which name the team previously ran.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 16:02
I guess shortening it to WWInc. as the designer does is better. Wind Wizzards Incorporated. Very nice car. I forgot under which name the team previously ran.
I can't wait to see the car! The name "Wind wizards" promises great things, but I will always be a JJR fan.

Ft5fTL

LVDH wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 10:40

Those Pure Power renders are really nice, I have to put them on the homepage
There you go then:

Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

etsmc

Finally managed to get a simulation to r7n for my car. Was only 1000 iterations with a base cell size of 0.75 but it ran and i got some results.
Time to start refining and see where i can get for race 3...

LVDH

etsmc wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 08:32
Finally managed to get a simulation to r7n for my car. Was only 1000 iterations with a base cell size of 0.75 but it ran and i got some results.
That is very good because it is looking like the shipping costs all the way to Singapore were wasted money. I will give it another shot on Monday with your car. What tool are you using anyway? Your stl files have always looked pretty bad. And it is not only a problem of triangle quality but your actual CAD geometry is not presented very well as long as you are not going for a refined F117 style. Maybe someone else here is using the same tool and can help with the settings.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 08:50
etsmc wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 08:32
That is very good because it is looking like the shipping costs all the way to Singapore were wasted money. I will give it another shot on Monday with your car. What tool are you using anyway? Your stl files have always looked pretty bad. And it is not only a problem of triangle quality but your actual CAD geometry is not presented very well as long as you are not going for a refined F117 style. Maybe someone else here is using the same tool and can help with the settings.
Hi ETMSC, which tools do you use? Most of my job is managing geometry to prepare FEM simulations, if you need help I can take a look. I think LDVH is right, often geomety is bad not because of the STL transaltion but because the original geometry has problems.

LVDH

To give you an idea about thy your car is so problematic and how you can see for yourself:
You can open your stl with Blender, switch to the Edit mode and then select non-manifold edges. You will find a lot. This is how the leading edge of the cooling intake looks like:
You can see that some vertexes of the triangles on the top surface do not match up with those from the rounded edge. This is very problematic and hard to repair with most remeshing software.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 09:02
To give you an idea about thy your car is so problematic and how you can see for yourself:
You can open your stl with Blender, switch to the Edit mode and then select non-manifold edges. You will find a lot. This is how the leading edge of the cooling intake looks like:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/wp-content ... _issue.png
You can see that some vertexes of the triangles on the top surface do not match up with those from the rounded edge. This is very problematic and hard to repair with most remeshing software.
I don't think that the STL converter simply miss to join the surfaces (if so, just change the tool for the conversion, but looking at the image it looks that STL conversion is not that bad). Probably the original surfaces are not attached and the "accuracy" of the 3D engine is not enough. Wich software are you (ETMSC) using? Are the units set correctly?

daniellammers

Is it worth it to have a go at the Mantium challenge on my own, without any aerodynamic experience?
I've got four years of experience in SolidWorks though
Last edited by daniellammers on 13 Sep 2019, 11:55, edited 1 time in total.
You won't catch me driving a race car that I have built.

- Colin Chapman

etsmc

Unfortunately I am still using sketch up as i just cant get my head around inventor or freecad. I am using a plug in called curviloft i think its called to create some of the surfaces just like the area you pointed out :(

CAEdevice

daniellammers wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 11:43
Is it worth it to have a go at the Mantium challenge on my own, without any aerodynamic experience?
I've got four years of experience in SolidWorks though
I started without any aerodynamics background, it has been useful to learn.

CAEdevice

etsmc wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 11:51
Unfortunately I am still using sketch up as i just cant get my head around inventor or freecad. I am using a plug in called curviloft i think its called to create some of the surfaces just like the area you pointed out :(
If you save the files as 3dm I could take a look to the original geometry.

rjsa

etsmc wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 11:51
Consider Fusion360. It has tools similar to polygon sculpting. And a free hobby version. Andre stopped complaining about my meshes.