2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Datco

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

McMika98 wrote:
14 Sep 2019, 11:20
flexcon wrote:
14 Sep 2019, 10:18

Villeneuve used words such as "Engine cant last more than 2 races before blowing up". Show me a Honda engine that didn't last more than 2 races or a Honda engine that blew up.
He said 5 races which has been proven correct so far. Spec 3.0 and 4.0 does not seem to last 5 races especially running near max power levels.
Errr, I don't know what you on about, but did you know that RBR has said before the start of the season they willing to take penalties to enable the Honda development?

Datco

Wouter wrote:
14 Sep 2019, 09:11
Artur Craft wrote:
14 Sep 2019, 08:32
Renault had a big jump in Spa and Monza. RB didn't
improve. The 25HP gain claim was an outright lie
Renault drove with very low downforce.
RBR did improve and the 25 HP gain wasn't a lie.

Max had to do a catch-up race and you than lose a lot of time.
In the open air he drove the same times as the front riders.
Kvyat also drove very good times until he dropped out.
You missed that Renault also now has 1010hp to 1015 hp lol😂
Before anyone says I am misquoting, yes some even say 1020hp

Sieper

It is clear that Renault also improved much this year, especially lower RPM grunt seems improved to me. How many HP which engine has under which circumstanes nobody will ever know, that is just guessing.

Wouter

Max Verstappen about Singapore: 'Qualifying is key'

“Singapore is a great track and the city looks amazing at night. I enjoy driving under the floodlights as it gives more character to the track and I really like this kind of weekend as it’s so different to a normal race. The track is very demanding – it’s hot, it’s physical and you sweat a lot, but it’s one of my favourites. You have a lot of corners that are a mix of high and low speed, plus some medium speed corners that have little run-off, so it’s a very diverse circuit.”

“It’s also a race where we tend to do better than say, Monza and Spa. I finished second there last year so hopefully we can have another good weekend. Overtaking is very tricky so qualifying is the key, you have to nail it! I’m looking forward to having a more normal race weekend and hopefully not starting out of position again which always makes things more difficult. We’re aiming for maximum points and I’m really looking forward to it.”
The Power of Dreams!

Jaisonas

[OT] Shouldnt the OP be updated with Albon's picture and name?

gokarter

You missed that Renault also now has 1010hp to 1015 hp lol😂
Before anyone says I am misquoting, yes some even say 1020hp
reality is max had the pace to qualify with the top 2 , his pace in race matched the leader but he couldnt qualify higher becuase of his grid penalty issues. others had tows wheres albon couldnt. renault and honda are equal but honda engine has more potential with the new fuel coming soon.

Alexf1

Abiteboul must hate RB so much that he spends all of his 2019 budget on engine and Ricciardo

Wouter

A new Japanese article about the Honda engine. An interview with Honda F1 Yasuaki Asagi PU Development Manager.

Could someone who speaks Japanese translate the highlights? It is a bit confusing.

https://www.as-web.jp/f1/521822?all
The Power of Dreams!

NL_Fer

Any more details about the limiter problem?

SF Engineer

Wouter wrote:
15 Sep 2019, 09:32
A new Japanese article about the Honda engine. An interview with Honda F1 Yasuaki Asagi PU Development Manager.

Could someone who speaks Japanese translate the highlights? It is a bit confusing.

Basically the highlights are as follows:

1. The big jump in performance for spec 3 was to do with the method of combustion.

2. Spec 4 is a development on this, but not the final iteration. He was asked if this meant another iteration of the engine this year and did not answer directly.

3. The have always had the goal of equaling Mercedes and Ferrari but this is the first time they can actually say such a thing realistically.

4. He feels there are several races remaining this year where the package has a chance to win (also thinks that of Mercedes and Ferrari).

5. Suzuka is not a circuit where they feel that they are ahead or behind, but they want a good result here for obvious reasons. Their goal is to win at Suzuka in 2020, so it sounds like this year might be out of reach barring anything out of the ordinary.

6. This season Red Bull initially asked for more power in qualifying mode, then somewhere during the season the team preferred Honda focus on race performance (sorry for the mistake, re-read this bit and he said specifically starts as stated by hisuka below).

That is not everything but the main points as I read them.
Last edited by SF Engineer on 15 Sep 2019, 16:27, edited 2 times in total.

Wouter

SF Engineer wrote:
15 Sep 2019, 13:25
Wouter wrote:

1. The big jump in performance for spec 3 was to do with the method of combustion.

Thank you @SF Engineer.
Last edited by Wouter on 15 Sep 2019, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.
The Power of Dreams!

Webber2011

SF Engineer wrote:
15 Sep 2019, 13:25
Wouter wrote:

Very, very much appreciated mate 👍

Juzh

Wouter wrote:
He wasn't driving same laptimes as front runners. He was faster.

McMika98

Juzh wrote:
15 Sep 2019, 13:58
Wouter wrote:
He wasn't driving same laptimes as front runners. He was faster.
He was on new soft whereas the front pack on used mediums and Hamilton was stuck behind Leclrec. His pace in the second half was almost matched by Albon, granted he got stuck behond Perez towards the end.

hasika

Wouter wrote:

Just pick up some interesting informations for me.

1.They found new derection of combustion development with spec3.The Spec4 is a evolution of it.The comubusion concept still have potential to develop so the Spec4 is not the end.

2.When asked if this mean they will introduce a new spec engine in the rest of the season,he did not anwer it directly.

3.When asked if he feels they already catching up with Mercedes with the spec4,he said he dont know.They need to see more races and then draw a conclusion but he think its possible.

3.When asked if they will use this spec to race in Japanese GP,he said yeah.The chassis has been more competive now and he think they can fight in Suzuka.But he think the real game will be the next year so he would like to have a good preparation for next year.

4.The goal has always been catching up with Mercedes and Ferrari but this year is the first time he felt its possible.

5.Honda set a target figure before the start of the season,then made plans for the introduction of spec2,spec3,spec4.They made a predicion about how much the rivals will gain during this year based on previous years' experience.They felt if they can achieve the target figure,its possilbe to catch up with them.

6.He dont know if they can win suzuka or not,but Honda has already achieve the target figure with the Spec4.

7.The first half of the seaon,what Red Bull requested most is qualifying performance, then "solve the start failures together"recently.