2019 Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Morteza

Re: 2019 Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

George Russell: Williams could have led, finished 7th in Germany
George Russell wrote:“It sort of felt like it summed up our weekend as a whole,” Russell said when asked by Crash.net if seeing Kubica score a point added to his disappointment at all.

“Regardless of results, we come away from a weekend either being satisfied knowing we got the most out of it, but Germany was definitely the least satisfying weekend by a long way, with regards to everything as a whole, not just the race.

“It was probably more disappointing at the time, feeling like we missed out on even more points. I wanted to box under the penultimate Safety Car, but I wasn’t quite forceful enough on the radio.

“This was when I was ahead of Lance, who obviously went on to lead the race at some point. That would have been me, because I was ahead of him. I think we worked out we could have finished seventh.

“After looking at all of the information the team had at the time, knowing the rain was very intermittent, they made the best decision with all of the information they had at the time, and we also have to consider the risk for reward.

“We felt like it was a huge risk, we felt like regardless with our pace we would have gone backwards, and we would have potentially been throwing the car at the wall with a set of aero items we’d like to keep on the car for a couple of races to come.”

Asked if he had held back in his driving to avoid damaging the car, Russell said: “No, it wasn’t in the back of my mind. I was just driving flat out from start to finish.

“But I’m sure when it comes to a risky strategy decision such as that, seeing the likes of Lewis [Hamilton] and Charles [Leclerc] going off in those conditions, like I said, we just had to weigh up the risk and reward.”
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Sevach

What exactly do they mean by forceful?
Was he hedging on wether that was the right option?
Or do they seriously want the driver to yell at them and call them stupid?

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Morteza

NL_Fer

So Kubica announced his departure end of season. Looks like it was his own decision, just like wen Massa decided to end his carreer in F1 at Williams.

Is this Clair’s signature way of working?

Big Tea

NL_Fer wrote:
19 Sep 2019, 18:05
So Kubica announced his departure end of season. Looks like it was his own decision, just like wen Massa decided to end his carreer in F1 at Williams.

(Clair.) Ah, Robert, I asked you into the office today because as you don't have a drive for next year We wondered if you considered retiring?...

(RK) What you mean I don't have a drive?

(Clair.) That's what I said.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

netoperek

Big Tea wrote:
19 Sep 2019, 18:32
NL_Fer wrote:
19 Sep 2019, 18:05

(Clair.) Ah, Robert, I asked you into the office today because as you don't have a drive for next year We wondered if you considered retiring?...

(RK) What you mean I don't have a drive?

(Clair.) That's what I said.
Orlen leaves the team with Robert (and they were supposed to be there for 2 years), so I really doubt Claire wanted this, but who knows. Maybe Latifi brings so much more, that she didn't give a s..t with politics and pr anymore

Scorpaguy

Kubica, after standing next to him at Rally Poland 2016...I never thought he could manage a F1 comeback.

Then we have the Bykolles fiasco...a bunch of weird conspiracies about a rigged William's car. Strange trajectory for a true talent.

Vasconia

Expected but quite sad, I don´t know if Robert's car had something different but its clear that he has been costantly slower(much slower) than a his rookie teanmate. Anyway, his comeback should be a great example of a person overcoming huge difficulties. He will have my eternal admiration because of this.

netoperek

Scorpaguy wrote:
20 Sep 2019, 04:26
Kubica, after standing next to him at Rally Poland 2016...I never thought he could manage a F1 comeback.

Then we have the Bykolles fiasco...a bunch of weird conspiracies about a rigged William's car. Strange trajectory for a true talent.
He turned down Bykolles because he had F1 position available

bill shoe

Vasconia wrote:
20 Sep 2019, 07:55
Expected but quite sad, I don´t know if Robert's car had something different but its clear that he has been costantly slower(much slower) than a his rookie teanmate. Anyway, his comeback should be a great example of a person overcoming huge difficulties. He will have my eternal admiration because of this.
Hope Kubica takes pride in the fact that when Williams had a chance to score in the wet-ish German GP, he was the Williams driver that had the focus and experience to stay on track and lead the team home to the Championship point. In the long run Russell will be huge, but Kubica beat him when it mattered.

JordanMugen

netoperek wrote:
20 Sep 2019, 11:12
Kubica still drives 1st spec engine, while Russel has newest specs.
Surely first spec engine is worn out by now... Kubica's spec 3 blew up in Spa.
netoperek wrote:
19 Sep 2019, 23:27
Showing a FU to Williams is understandable, given how fishy it all looked. Dang, I hope Robert will write a bio after he retires from F1 (hopefully in a distant future) to let us read why and to what extent did they screw him at Williams.
:?: :?: :?: #-o

Evidence?

Why would Williams sabotage Kubica, when Sirotkin was IMO largely on the pace of Stroll, thereby supporting the notion that both Williams cars receive adequate technical support.

Capharol

bill shoe wrote:
20 Sep 2019, 13:02
Vasconia wrote:
Hope Kubica takes pride in the fact that when Williams had a chance to score in the wet-ish German GP, he was the Williams driver that had the focus and experience to stay on track and lead the team home to the Championship point. In the long run Russell will be huge, but Kubica beat him when it mattered.
he got that point because RAI & GIO were punished, otherwie he hadn't had any point

netoperek

JordanMugen wrote:
21 Sep 2019, 06:00

Surely first spec engine is worn out by now... Kubica's spec 3 blew up in Spa.

Evidence?

Why would Williams sabotage Kubica, when Sirotkin was IMO largely on the pace of Stroll, thereby supporting the notion that both Williams cars receive adequate technical support.
And it was replaced with a "new" old specs engine. Right now, Kubica has the only car without a new specs merc engine out of all merc powered cars.
What Sirotkin has to do with it now? If You mentioned him though, on Renault testing ground, Kubica was 0.7s faster than Sirotkin, same car, same track, on his first F1 drive after the crash. When Sirotkin's choice over Robert had to be rationalized, Sirotkin suddenly became faster (even though he has not recorded faster time).
There are quite plenty evidence of Williams making sure George comes on top. Williams kindly provide it nearly every race so far. As for why - same as always, money.

Vasconia

bill shoe wrote:
20 Sep 2019, 13:02
Vasconia wrote:
Being able to return to F1 is more than enough to be extremely proud. =D>